ISI Planning to convert RF2 from DX9 to DX10 or DX11 like iRacing did?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcel van der Linden, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Massive contradiction there, first you state a lack of investment then state only ISI know! As for a skeleton crew...again they've been in business since 1992, they know what they're doing :)

What new Tech? do you mean VR? serious question, don't own iRacing so don't know :)

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

depends on your income, for me it is too expensive, I've recently bought a brand new wheel & decent custom made shifter and still have money to play with before I even get to the CV1/Vice price tag. I'd currently much rather have what I've bought than spend loads on a VR headset that my PC can't handle :D

In 1999 (roughly I think) I paid a staggering £200 for a 64mb...yes SIXTY FOUR MEG MP3 player, it was new tech it was amazing but it could only handle barely 30 (short) songs! Now you can get a 32gig MP3 Player for £25! As time went by more came on the market, prices dropped and it became a revelation in listening to music terms, I hope for the same with VR, hence personally I'll have to wait until it drops in price substantially (or I win the lottery!)

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Very good post.

I find myself in pretty much the same situation.
    Only I've just had to spend a lot on a new monitor, because my old one died.
    I imagine I'll be using this monitor for two, three, maybe four years, and then see what the deal with VR is by then.

It'll take a very long time before VR can be called even remotely "mainstream".
    The gap between most current PC users' specs and the min. requirements of the VR headsets needs to decrease too.
    Tons of PC users with very nice machines will have to upgrade regardless, just to use VR and the handful of games that support it.

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

That's true 100% if you are hotlapping with a Fiat Punto, a bit less true if you are simulating a race with some modern racing car...:)

BTW, before you start attacking, I'm not saying rift It's not an amazing experience...I'm sure it is, but just accept it's not for everyone. I's not a must, not yet at least....:)

5. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Yes lack of investment (which is obvious, we don't need ISI to confirm that) and yes only ISI knows if they got what they wanted financially from rF2 given they never quoted any revenue target, last time I checked it isn't a publicly traded company otherwise we'd have some idea of growth or lack thereof, and income. You seem to not understand what Tim said about there being no current plan for DX11 support so if you want to believe there is a massive huge gigantic contradiction with my comment, I can find a way live with that. :)

IRT iRacing, yes, supporting VR. iRacing in the same time frame has more than doubled in size and consistently adds new licensed content while improving their core technology. While I'm not a fan of not being able to use it offline an obvious investment is being made back into the product, from new licenses to core development, etc.

Pace has never been quick at ISI but I doubt we'll see much besides fantasy land content at this point. We do know about the GT500, I assume that is still in the works but who knows, and honestly, who cares at this pace. Checking on the GT500 once a month is the only reason I even stop by anymore. The new content at iRacing is excellent. When I get my CV1 I doubt I'll spend much time with rF2 anymore. Please don't read that as hate, I'll always enjoy the time spent with rF2, it helped me become better at braking at real life track events, but rF2 isn't evolving. Meanwhile other sims are moving forward and many have made the switch.

6. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

7. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

You may be interested to this. Not trying to demonize (and has nothing to do with ISI HQ choice lol), it's a life I work with monitors in front of my eyes, at least for 14 hours per day....so I'm not biased at all. Just to share.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/18/w...-what-vr-is-doing-to-our-eyes-and-our-brains/

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Gjon also said somewhere not too long ago that moving to Steam wouldn't give ISI enough sales revenue, but obviously he changed his mind. Maybe VR supporters should create a petition and send it to Gjon, perhaps with enough names signed he will change his mind again, who knows :).

I think this is really a non-issue. Not once do I look at the buttons on my T300RS wheel when adjusting things like brake bias during the race. It's mostly automatic hand movements for anyone who consider himself a serious sim racer. At least when we are talking about some 10 buttons like on most consumer wheels.

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

...In the direction you want it to.
    That's pretty important to add. :)

Because it is evolving, and has been all through its development.

Look at the changelogs. Compare this build to a year old build, and a year old build to a two year old build.
    In a year, try comparing the latest build to this current build.
    There is nothing but progress and evolution, even though it may not fit your personal ideas of what evolution is. :)

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Well, thank Tim for being so clear about VR. So we won't see rf2 with VR in the next 3-4 years, I guess!
    Rf2 is my favorite Sim and I really was waiting for ISI to support VR to encourage me to return to the sim racing after 14 months of pause . At this point I think that I will change ' my favorite Sim' and go elsewhere that has a complete VR support.... Maybe AC, iRacing ?'
    Thank you ISI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That's my worry about this. I'd wait like 20 years before using VR really (tho I believe the consequences will arrive earlier). People are embracing some tech and behaviors way too quickly. I'm just observing.
    I think a ultrawide monitor + trackIR is a better and safer solution if you don't have space or don't want a triple screen setup.

12. Superdevil

Superdevil Registered

...And just 4 of those awesome, new licensed iRacing cars or tracks will cost you as much as the full rF2 game on steam. With the profits that IR make off their loyal subscribers, of course they should be able to afford to evolve at a fast pace. You can have your IR, I'll happily support a company like ISI that isn't interested in charging people the equivalent of a new game every time they release some new content.

"fantasy land content". Lol Good one. :) How about.... "Free"?

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

If that was needed to make rF2 evolve faster and have more stock content I'm all for DLC at this point.
    Honestly after I saw people paying $10 for a single small picture of a "cosplayer" with a huge cleavage, a mini skirt and a ton of automatic Photoshop effects that takes 5 seconds to be done, a DLC for $10 or some more is not the end of the world and there are people that actually work when doing these DLC lol

14. stonec

stonec Registered

DLC is not the end, but it probably wouldn't work with the current dev resources that ISI has. Last new car that ISI released was stock cars in September 2015, so they release a couple of new cars per year basically. I have not much to complain about that since you get everything for free, but it just won't work very well with paid DLC where you expect to have at least something between 6 and 12 new cars.

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Fragmenting the community even further?
    No thanks.

16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

P Cars model doesnt do that

17. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

so sad reading this, really. i think you understimate the amount of potential users playing rf2 if VR is available.
    gotta say BYE BYE rfactor2. i will have to play assetto corsa and hopefully automobilista if they finally implement it. PCARS, assetto, iracing and many others will pass RF2 easily with VR implementation. Physics are important, of course, but inmersion is same important or even more. no one can imagine play in a crt 15" 4:3 screen even if it has 300hz and super advanced physics, right? no inmersion. plain, easy to understand

-1 for isi.

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It is, to be frank, absolutely ludicrous to claim that one can't be "immersed" by games unless one's head is wrapped inside a VR headset.
    Like I said, the hype is real. :D

19. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Let's look at this from another perspective – if professional racing teams decide they want VR support in rFactor Pro, wouldn't it make financial sense to start working on the tech now?

I literally just received a GTX 970 this week to go along with my Rift, so now I'm disappointed that the game I most wanted to play won't be supporting it.

20. woochoo

woochoo Registered

That would make sense, and if it was ISI that had to implement it, rather than the rFactorPro team themselves, then I'd assume ISI would be doing it.

From Tim's words I'll assume that either F1 teams don't want VR, or the rFPro team are working on it, which I don't expect would flow backwards to ISI, and then us.
    Since rFPro is all about minimising latency from what I've read, I guess they'd be doing the maths on if it's quicker to draw to an HMD (inc head tracking tracking) or a few projectors.

I also get the feeling that rFPro is more about comparing car setup changes and testing the performance of new areo pieces. I don't think VR would bring too much to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.