Buying pc to play rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by jambo1401, Aug 19, 2013.

1. jambo1401

jambo1401 Registered

Hi , I have wanting to get into a pc racing sim after becoming bored of idiots on xbox! I am looking at a 2nd hand pc and wanted to know if the specs are enough to get me playing a reasonable quality. This is what i have to chance to buy for what i think is a decent price -
    Gigabyte Ga-870-USB3l motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 6-core processor at 2.8Ghz
    CoolerMaster V6GT CPU cooling (means you can overclock the CPU to about 3.4Ghz)
    8GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 2GB Graphics Card
    1TB Hard Drive
    CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer case
    Additional fans added (Two, one 200mm, one 180mm) together with a 200mm that came with the case means very low temperatures.
    CD/DVD Read and Write
    550W PSU

Comes with monitor:
    AOC F22+ 22 inch 1080p monitor
    Wireless keyboard/mouse

Operating System:
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Please can you let me know if this would be ok , i already have a fanatec csr and elite pedal setup.

Cheers guys

2. jambo1401

jambo1401 Registered

Hi , £450 for the lot , does that seem ok? I currently use an imac and am sick of it!

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

4. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Think the GFX is the weak spot - think it would not run RF2 as it should be run.
    Would go for an GTX 660 (Ti) at least or higher as an exchange. (would cost about 180 € more).

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

That system will play rF2, but with details turned down quite a bit and not very fast.

-The CPU is old and will bottleneck the system with rF2. I used to run a Core2 E8600 and before I upgraded my system , I had considered a 1055t but decided to go for a i5 and it's been awesome. rF2 is infamous for running better on Intel equipment anyway. /me dons flamesuit.

-My old system had a GTX460 and with the i5, it was the system bottleneck. I found that out when I got a 760 a few weeks ago and now the CPU is unfettered. A GTS450 would be a good match for the 1055t, but you still will not be able to turn any of the options up.

IMHO your system will work today but you will feel restricted in the future

6. jambo1401

jambo1401 Registered

Hi ,
    After taking your advice on board i have decieded not to buy the above pc , however i have found another!

Intel core 5 750
    1 x GTX 8800
    1 x GTX 470
    4gb ram

Does having 2 graphics cards make it a better option

Sorry to be a pain but i am new to this and dont want to buy something that is not going to play rfactor well

cheers guys

7. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Registered

Urgh... look, I'm going to be honest. rF2 is -- for me anyway -- extremely demanding. And in order to see this sim;s real potential you have to be able to (a) max out the graphics and (b) throw a chunky CPU at it. Otherwise you will be disappointed.

The 2 graphics cards in your last post will not help. The 8800 is probably in there just for dedicated PhysX... which is a complete waste of energy IMO, and certainly no use in rF2.

Hopefully some guys with weaker systems will be along ot help shortly, but I worry that you're heading for extreme disappointment with those kind of specs.

8. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Not posted on here for ages !! :)

This may be a little over your budget but its an option. Also I wouldnt bother playing it through a monitor, and rather through your own flat screen TV, just like the XBOX??

This option would get you everything brand new, plus Windows 7 but minus a screen. Only problem is, you will just have to build it yourself, or get one of your friends to build it/help you. Its pretty easy to knock it all together and bang windows on.

As i say this is just an option so you can weigh all the pros and cons together. Good luck on hunting :)

9. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

10. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thats no good, link doesnt work.

Basically i built a system that would run the game very well, but it came to £560. Sorry about that OP