New to RF2, what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by JW1904, Aug 18, 2013.

1. JW1904

JW1904 Registered

Hiya guys

Several years ago I did some league racing on RF1, as I had just started with sim racing I didn't have much more than a $40 wheel. Force Feedback, was not much more than a bit of rumbling and shaking.

I started racing RF1 in 2007, did so for 2 years, and then the leaque I was racing in had severe community problems wich was one of the reasons I left. After that I didn't have much joy in RF1 anymore, so I decided to try something "new". Live for Speed. Demo'd it for a year, then got myself a S2 license, and kept on driving with the same (now a bit older) $40 wheel, alot more rumbling, and after some ductape (as the little vacuum thingies that are supposed to stick the wheel to a desk were quite worn and didn't work anymore), I got myself a G27. While I did some playing on Live for Speed, wich includes drifting and racing, I decided to reinstall rF1 and race it again. This.. Didn't work out very good for me, wich pretty much ended up rF1 catching dust once again.

Now, after trying the demo of rF2 on my younger brother's computer (yes, with a G27, we're doing good, 4x a G27 in this household), I'm actually hooked to it. The FFB is pretty good, and its pretty good as I think it could be better, but that might be a setting-issue.

1.Are there any advised settings for the G27 that I should know? I.e. the rotation degree to match several cars ingame, and such things.

2. Is there a "viewer" tool that makes you able to see the progress you are making while skinning in Photoshop? Ie. LFS has LFS Viewer.

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

rF2 now has a reload button in the car screen. I suggest, when skinning, you set rf2 to windowed mode and quickly shift back and forth after dds-save. works a treat.

3. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Set your g27 up like this.

in logitech profiler...

setup an rf2 profile then in edit select specific game settings and do the following.

overall effects strength. = 100%
    spring effect strength = 48%
    damper = 50%
    check enable centering spring but make the slider = 0%
    check use special steering wheel settings set degrees of rotation at 900
    check use special game settings and allow game to adjust settings

:)

Oh and if you want tighter steering in game goto the garage and set your steering lock as high as possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  4. matf1

matf1 Registered

Personally 100% overall, 900 deg rotation, 0 for everything else but centre spring and allow game to change settings checked.
    Every config I tried prior to this felt like it was missing something, this however feels complete. In game I adjust from 1.5-2.0 as I like a heavier wheel.

5. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

changing spring effect strength and damper has absolutely no affect in rF2. That's what I have found to be the case anyway.

6. JW1904

JW1904 Registered

Ok, thanks!

Next question.. Where the heck do I find the location to save the skin files at? According to some page its in \userdata\player\settings\yadeya, but I can't get further than \player\ in the 3 locations possible (the Core folder, Data folder, and the one on Documents)

7. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Choose the car you wish to install a new skin for, click Tuning, click Create Dir, (right beside the reload button) this will create a folder/directory for skins if you've never installed/received one. Look at the top of the page, the exact location is written there.

8. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I think it does but RFactor only uses a small percentage of what you set. I remember a post a while back that had an INI setting you could change to make it use a higher percentage.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

1. Go to controller section and click detect. Then tweak as desired. You can always revert by clicking detect again.
    2. Not yet.

Edit: and by doing it my way, you always start off with our CURRENT recommendation, in case we changed anything.

10. JGraf

JGraf Registered

worked great, this feature has been broken since last build... restarting the game is required to view/load a new dds now.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  11. JGraf

JGraf Registered

tim,
    there is a conflict with (some not all) of these controller profiles.

by game default there is a setting in the controller.ini:
    Code:
    Steer Ratio Speed="20.00000" // Speed at which low speed steering lock override ends (for pit navigation, units are meters/sec, 0.0 to disable)
    when (some not all) pre-configured profiles are selected by load/detect, this default Steer Ratio Speed setting gets disabled.
    not everyone uses pre assigned controller profiles, so this is a problem, seems like the game default setting would dictate whats standard.

problem:
    i share a setup with low steer lock, the user wonders why he can't turn out of the pit stall, then the long explanation of why and what for begins... this happens often.

12. JW1904

JW1904 Registered

Ahhh look, its a dev! Or.. wait.. dev's here aren't as rare as on the LFS forums.

Another question: how come I don't have to use the clutch when using the Hshifter? Auto-clutch is disabled yet I can just jump through the gears while driving.

13. JW1904

JW1904 Registered

Anyone?

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Clutch is not fully implemented yet, you dont have to use it if you dont want, except for takeoffs or to prevent a stall.

15. JW1904

JW1904 Registered

Ahh.. IIRC rF had the same issue, wich is one of the reasons I didn't like racing on it with the G27. Any ETA on when it will be fixed? Clutch use-age is quite an importand feature.. :p

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

AFAIK it will be done, but its back on the list of to-do.

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

18. JW1904

JW1904 Registered

Yeah I've read that page already, but the skin viewing question was more aimed towards an CMX viewer being available (yet) like the one Live for Speed has for skinning purposes.

Thanks for the reply though!

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Drivetrain rework is in progress.

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Great news Tim, thanks.