Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

2. elbo

elbo Registered

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  3. Tsfc

Tsfc Registered

Does anyone plan on using an HMd + this software.......on Rfactor 1?

4. Tsfc

Tsfc Registered

...that would be awesome!

5. Tsfc

Tsfc Registered

6. rixracer

rixracer Registered

Rix in the Rift

My procedure:

Launch Oculus software.

Start vorpx (v16.2.o) and load rfactor 2 config settings.

My next step is to launch Steam VR. I'm running rF2 in steam, which now has a VR button.

I also had experienced issues, then found, from vorpx support, that I could get it to run by forcing 32Bit and running in windowed mode. Change these settings in rFactor2 when on the settings page. I got an error pop-up about dx9, which I will document later, but I blew by it and it loaded!

Using your Rift thumb controller, you can access the vorpx menu in-game to adjust settings. If someone nails the settings, please post or share. I'm still working it out.

I ran my first VR league F1 race Thursday night. It was great until late in the race, when it seemed to bog down both audible and visual. I'm going to try reducing the video resolution to 1280 x whatever to closer match the Rift settings, and also reduce the number of sounds in game. I run a spotter, and he sounded like he was under water. I will delete the spotter plugin. I also deleted the TrackerIR plug in. I found out, through Assetto Corsa, that AntiAliasing should be turned off.
    I'm running in Cinema Mode because I can't get the head tracking to reverse. When I look right, it goes left. When I look up, it goes down. Instant nausea. I think I'll ask Vorpx Support about that. So close!

This was a full 71 laps at Austria, Sim Racing Hub.
    It got a little warm in the visor. I wore a headband to keep the Rift dry.
    Rixracer

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
  7. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Just got a DK2 and need some help.

I got the DK2 running with latest 1.6.0,it works as can play lucky tales etc
    Now trying to get it to work with rF1 and rF2 so obviously came here :)

Seems I may need to uninstall 1.6.0 and install 0.4.1?
    Is 0.4.1 the only version we can use?
    Do I need to buy tridef?
    Also TriDef-3D-Oculus-Rift-Add-on-1.0b8 seems to be 'unavailable' ?

I also seem to have a problem as I don't have option to 'extend' desktop?
    * Set Rift Display Mode to "Extended Desktop to the HMD"
    * Set Rift DK2 as primary extended display in NVIDIA Control Panel (Rotate Rift DK2 to "Portrait", Set Rift DK2 to 75Hz)
    I am using ATI,I'm sure it was an option when I was first installing OR....maybe I set monitor as primary I don't know?
    No option in ATI,it's not there but when I start the OR software and start the goggles I get picture in goggles of rift home/library etc

Any help,pointers,links etc greatly appreciated :D

8. stefan_alba

stefan_alba Registered

hello everyone, I'm stefan, recently in the simulators, I just bought a oculus dk2 and I would set it up with rFactor2, but I can not, I need someone to give me a hand
    following the software I installed:

windows 10
    rfactor 2 steam
    vorpx (last version)
    Runtime 1.6 (last version)

9. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

I've tried this with the Rift CV1. Used some different settings and all and I found it all very under-whelming.

Have you seen Assetto Corsa with the Rift?

Or even Project Cars, for that matter?

What you're getting with rF2 is a monitor in your rift, and that's it. Why would anyone want to do that? I can just race with a monitor; what do I need the monitor AND the rift for?

Until rF2 gets REAL rift support, without vorpx-- which is trash, IMO-- then I'm just not going for it.

I've had vorpx for about five days now. None of the games work, and if they do, they are simply using head-tracking, which I can use without the rift, or something like what you get in rF2.

Fact is, I've sent about five emails to vorpx support requesting a refund. Not one has been responded to.

Thankfully, I purchased with PayPal. I can go through them and get a refund.

The only software that I've seen that works well with the rift is Flyinside (can only be used with FlightSim-X and one other flight sim). That's a pretty good piece of software.

Vorpx is worthless.

10. stefan_alba

stefan_alba Registered

hello everyone, thanks to Alan does my oculus dk2 with rfactor 2, only thing I see now in cinema mode, if I turn my head I do not see the side, but as if I saw on a large monitor

windows 10 64bit
    runtime oculus 1.6 (last version)
    Vorpx (last verison)

11. TheLeadWolf

TheLeadWolf Registered

Hi,

I got rFactor2 working with vorpx surprisingly well. Head tracking is kind of stepped though, like someone said, low resolution. Is there a way to make steps smaller? I am planning to experiment with angle values in .json, but wonder if anyone got it figured out?

12. TheLeadWolf

TheLeadWolf Registered

Since there's a lot of confusion around this, here's quick guide on how I run the beast in VR as of today with all latest software/hardware:

player.JSON adjustments:
    "Car Vibration Mult1":0,
    "Car Vibration Mult2":0,
    "Cockpit Vibration Mult1":0,
    "Cockpit Vibration Freq1":0,
    "Cockpit Vibration Mult2":0,
    "Cockpit Vibration Freq2":0,
    "Exaggerate Yaw":0,
    "Glance Angle":1,
    "Glance Rate":200,
    "Head Rotation":1,
    "Look Up/Down Angle":1,
    "Look Roll Angle":1,
    "Lookahead Angle":0,

Note, still not sure if angle values of 1 are best. I get head tracking feeling "stepped", not fluid, continual. I suspect angle values affect step between positions, and 1 degree might be too much.

Controls:
    Map Enable Free Look/Center Free Look to be easily accessible, you will need to activate both very often.

Resolution:
    You need to run rFactor 2 in Windowed mode. I recommend setting desktop resolution to match game window resolution. Otherwise, if you use VR resolution above desktop resolution, your mouse will be stuck in the rectangle matching desktop resolution. I am lucky here, my cheap monitor downscales any resolution above its native to native, so I was able to set desktop (and game) resolution up to 2560x2560 (did not tried above yet).

Now, aspect ratio is important in a sense that you need to be as close as you can to 8:9 ratio to eliminate wasted areas of screen that you do not see, but game still renders them. In practice, with 8:9 I can't zoom in and eliminate off screen areas at left/right side of vision. So, at the moment I am sticking with 1:1 ratio.

NOTE: For some reason, even despite 2160x1200 native resolution of CV1 (or 1080x1200 per eye), setting in game res above 1080x1200 improves the image. If anyone can explain that, please chime in.

vorpx in game menu (DEL key):
    Mode: z-buffer
    Aspect ratio correction: Pixel 1:1
    Head tracking sensitivity: 0.20 (adjust to your liking)

Use in game:
    • Start Vorpx
    • Set Desktop Resolution to match your rF2 windowed resolution
    • Start rF2 normally. You should see the game in HMD.
    • In menu, zoom out by using Shift+Mouse Scroll
    • In race:
    ○ Zoom in using Shift+Mouse Scroll
    ○ Enable Free Look
    ○ Center Free Look

Something I found useful in single player race to access pit menu:
    • Pause game
    • Zoom out
    * Disable Free Look
    • Do pit adjustments
    • Zoom in
    * Enable Free Look
    * Center Free Look
    • Resume

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2016
  13. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

would steams VIVE with this plugin ? of rf2 ?

14. TheLeadWolf

TheLeadWolf Registered

It looks like latest vorpx has Vive beta support. Please note that I do not know if Vive works with rF2, just saw statement in help. You won't need this plugin, just vorpx, and get your expectations very low - this is not a native support :) Though still better than monitor for CV1 :)

15. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

What about rF?
    Is possible?

16. TheLeadWolf

TheLeadWolf Registered

I did not try, but I believe from vorpx posts, yes. And procedure very similar - enable mouse look, zero it. However, vorpx dev mentioned rF2 works better, just fyi.
    EDIT: got GTR2 working, and saw rF1 menu in HMD but didn't play it. GTR2 works even better than rF2.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
  17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hi all,

chill, official support coming to rf2 , pain having to wait but we now know for sure its coming

last time i tried with these unofficial methods it took almost a whole weekend away and it looked pretty naff

18. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Would like it to be working in rF also :)

19. KILL BILL

KILL BILL Registered

Is it possible to drive in the rF2 with oculus rift cv1?
    I bought this device, drove in AC, iR, pCars, great emotions. But the favorite simulator rF2.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Bill -save your self hard ships of trying to get this to work & simply wait for initial support in few months (march latest)

Looking forward to it myself