Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. BigMillerTime

BigMillerTime Registered

Vittorio. I am pondering taking the plunge for VorpX. What are your thoughts and feedback. I'd appreciate your opinion as to justify the 40 dollar expense. Thank you sir!

2. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

hi, barf, thanks a lot. unfortunately not getting any error messages at all.
    Just the message "stop working"
    Good hint regarding the plug in. I will check my plug ins

3. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

Just checked. I dont have the trackmap plugin.
    I removed all plugins and tried again. Still no change ! Still running out of ideas.
    I might do I new install. and start from scratch

4. crz

crz Registered

Thanks, I didn't notice the expert settings before. You can make it look ok in G3D but the performance impact is just too big fo me, can't even stay at 75 fps.

I think it will be a long way until I do my first proper race in VR...

5. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

Got it to work ! Had to do a clean install.
    In Z-mode works nice , Geomtrie mode the mirrors do not match, regardless what I am doing . Havent found the right settings yet

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I keep checking in to see if straight forward work around a for dk2 support is available

but rf2 still doesn't seem a VR go-er :(

7. capetuso

capetuso Registered

Does the last DK2 runtime works with this plugin and rfactor2? I've readed Oculus is dropping DirectX 9 support.
    I am trying to make this working with tridef's 14 days trial.
    But haven't updated the Oculus runtime to the last one yet.

Updated: got it working, it is not bad but have lag in the head tracking, specially if I move my head fast. Also the tracking is not smooth. Anyone noticed this?
    I have between 100 and 130 FPS.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

i noticed that too using plugin+vorpx. enabling VSYNC in nvidia control panel solved this.

9. capetuso

capetuso Registered

Thank you Vittorio, VSYNC did nothing for me. Anyway I finally had time to try it properly and until ISI supports it officially it is good enough.
    I haven't played this game since my rift arrived last September and it is so great.
    But I don't know if I will buy tridef, because iracing and Assetto Corsa have a better rift support.

10. mav7187

mav7187 Registered

I haven't figured out completey yet. Is it possible to drive rf2 with the latest Oculus Runtime in any way using vorpx or tridef and all the plugins mentioned in this thread?
    I am an OSW owner and the FFB of rf2 is definetely the best of all sims in my opinion but I have to use the DK2 because I haven't a triple screen anymore.

11. gkz

gkz Registered

TriDef tutorial runs perfectly. I drive since months on the DK2.
    Also found out how to majorly improve picture quality and it makes a huge difference.

I have 2 way SLI 970, so try out what your system can handle. you will quickly catch on how everything works together.
    Recommended: MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner for ingame FPS monitor in the Rift - here's the tutorial how to do that https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=15654

Do vittorios tutorial and then try this out fellow DK2 users:

In general, don't use VSYNC. Just make sure you always have 75fps

SweetFX
    Install SweetFX for sharpening the image: Use the tutorial from atlas over in the Elite Dangerous forums: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=117345
    SweetFX you put into Bin32 folder. Ignore the DK2 display set up with low contrast, leave it as it is.
    Please turn off all settings in the SweetFX_settings but #define USE_LUMASHARPEN and leave at "1"

nV Controlpanal
    Activate Downsampling in nV Controlpanel: DSR x1.78, underneath it set slider to 10%
    Turn on Nvidia FXAA for rF2, max performance (just in case) and if you can:
    AF x16
    texture quality "highest"
    AA transperancy 8x Supersample

In-Game GFX Settings:
    Choose your new resolution @1440p
    Turn off HDR! Way better contrasts, image quality and big FPS boost
    Choose ISI's MSAA Level 3 (Level 2 should do just fine if 3 is to much for your GPU)
    Textures you can set everything on high (if enough VRAM, you can check how much rF2 uses with Afterburner. Prefer Downsampling over game textures)
    Shadows Low
    Turn off Special effects, soft particels, all reflections - you don't see them anyway and just eat up 3D performance with no reward.

in TriDef I use WorldScale 0.06

BAM, enjoy "stunning" DK2 picture quality ;)
    You now have feeling for speed, can look into distance and even see brake markers :D

EDIT:
    P.S. I use TriDef and think everyone else should, too. vorpX is imo a scam. it's fake 3D and performance is just a bad joke. burnt my money hard on that one. not even an old game like Batman Arkham Asylum ran over 25-30fps... support ignored me after confronting him with that issue

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
  12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

is the image quality as good as Iracing gkz ?

is it full view?

13. gkz

gkz Registered

What do you mean with full view? In regards of TriDef? Vittorios tutorial gives you 100% 3D-VR and full tracking.
    Picture quality: I'd say on track it as good or even better as iRacing and this is amazing considering iRacing has direct support. Menus aren't comparable of course, though.

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

very interesting, thx gkz! will try these promising enhancements asap

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'll grab Tridef on the 14 free day trial if this works well, sweetfx is super in iracing

boy i wish ISI would give just basic support for this amazing technology

16. gkz

gkz Registered

oh, I forgot that in TriDef I use WorldScale 0.06 - the world and object sizes seem in better relation to each other. Note that some of ISI's car's are not super accurately modeled in this regard. Some steering wheels just seem either to big or to small. The skippy is nice! Edited and added to my initial post.

17. gkz

gkz Registered

Yes, just using LUMASHARPEN will reduce this foggy blurriness from the DK2 picture. And if you can add DSR and AA then you are in for a treat =) Racing rF2 in VR is such a great experience - it's really awesome. With improved picture quality I now drive better in the DK2 then without. Can't imagine racing looking at a normal screen anymore xD

18. kroymander

kroymander Registered

Hey guys, I have followed everything from Vittorio's latest instructions (post #212), and everything is working really well (thanks Vittorio!) except that the 3D perspective seems to be off. If I park on top of a line that goes off into the distance (the edge of the track for instance), I see two lines diverging into the distance, separated by maybe 20 degrees or so. They converge at me, and everything close to me is in focus, but I can't focus into the distance. It's not that things are fuzzy, everything is crisp, it's just that the two images split apart the further things get from me. I've tried every combination of nVidia, Oculus, rF2, and TriDef settings that I can think of with no luck yet. Any thoughts? Does my brain just not want to see 3D?

19. carcaes1

carcaes1 Registered

Hello everybody

I am trying to run Rfactor 2 and Game stock car with Tridef 3D + addon + oculus dk2 and i can't.

I have followed the instructions of first post (copy plugins, tridef + addon,...).

MY PC -
    RFACTOR 2

When i run rfactor 2 with TRIDEF 6.3 or 6.8 (trial) + addon tridef oculus , i see the image in oculus but the next message"tracking hmd is already in use". And i can't play correctly because i see very big the car.

RFACTOR 1

When i run rfactor 1 with TRIDEF 6.3 or 6.8 (trial) + addon tridef oculus , i see the image in oculus but the next message"tracking hmd is already in use". And i can't play correctly because i see very big the car.

GAME STOCK CAR 2013

When i run rfactor 2 with TRIDEF 6.3 or 6.8 (trial) + addon tridef oculus , app crashes (Error 0xc0000018 )

------

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2015
  20. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

I'm having the same issue and i cant find it a workaround.
    I've messaged GKZ asking for his tridef profile which he kindly provided me, but i still having this same issue, everything that is near is perfect but things that are somewhat further don't converge and it produces eye strain because our brains are trying to "make" a single image with two separate images.
    What GPU are you using? i'm on a R9 280.
    I want to use Rfactor2 but Oculus seems to have killed standard monitor racing for me.
    I don't even know if we will have support on CV1 because Oculus dropped DX9 apps support.