Custom skins not loading

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by hardtohandle, Aug 12, 2013.

1. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I have a problem with custom skins not loading in the tuning screen. It happens for Meganes and Corvetets, but strangely Clios custom skins work fine so it is not a game wide problem.

So I put my DDS files into the correct directory. The files are definitely not corrupt and are definitely in the right place (RF2 tells you 'loose skin dir' in the tuning screen and they indeed match).

I have followed the rules (12 chars max, 'alt' n filename) etc (as descibed here http://isiforums.net/f/showwiki.php?title=rFactor2+-+Where+to+put+custom+car+skins), everthing is in order.

In the 'Variants' box on the tuning screen, the custom skin names DO appear, but when u go to it the skin does not load, and if you accept it anyway hoping it may work in game, it doesn't, I get a default skin.

Only the default skins can be seen and used, I assume they are actually embedded in the cars mod but I'm not sure.

In game all cars have default skins, although I know they should be custom, and I myself get default skin always. This is on ISR servers, and yes they do have custom skins enabled, and for all other drivers custom skins are working just fine.

Please help. I have checked everything I can find to check and everything seems to be in order.

Many thanks.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Check spelling and case of the loose directory... :)

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

3. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes dir spelling and case is 100% correct. I checked all these things already, but just double checked again.

Remember, that the skin names DO get loaded, but the skins will not load or display car on tuning screen, only default skins work. As the custom skin names are displayed in tuning screen, then the directory name must be correct. Something else is stopping them from loading.

4. 88mphTim

Saved correct format and settings? Has anyone else got your skins to work, or have you tried someone else's?

5. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

The files are correct format - DDS, and definitely not corrupt because I copied these from my previous rf install where the definitely worked fine. I have tried many things - something is definitely causing them not to load. These skins are the ISR server skins, and yes I can confirm they work elsewhere.

As for settings - I do not know of any relevant settings, if you do please let me know. I have not changed any settings, or changed the DDS files in anyway.

Remember, my clio skins load OK, corvettes and meganes (that's all i have tried) do not. Seems to be something car specific.

6. 88mphTim

Can you email me the paths you're using and a sample skin for each car?

timw@imagespaceinc.com

7. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

8. 88mphTim

Both work fine for me (1 of them had a name too long) in:
    C:\Users\Tim Wheatley\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\M2009_car\M2009_04

I renamed the file with the long name to Thierr_alt.dds, then it worked.

Do you mean that the screen is black? Press ctrl alt del, choose task manager. Close task manager, then click back on the rf2 window to fix that. There's a bug with that.

9. LabR4t

LabR4t Registered

Some folders have a a new name.
    C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\ISI_Corvette_C6RGT2_2009
    C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\M2009_car

10. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I found a solution to this.

I found out that if I do a lite install (build 240) custom skins do not work on the meganes and corvettes at least, but if I do a CONTENT install then the problem is gone.

So I reinstalled with the content installer. It's a mystery why the skins do not load on the lite install ver. The clios skins did work on the lite install though.

11. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

The source you quote is actually out of date. Since then the maximum file name length for custom skins has been reduced to 10 or less including "alt" (not including the .dds or .mas extension). Any skin names that exceed that should not show. See the sticky "Paint Guide" thread in the rF2 forum front page.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  12. lopsided

lopsided Registered

With build 300 I am no longer able to see my custom skins. They were visible both in the garage and in game prior to b.300.
    They are still in my Settings folder, named and saved correctly... as I say, worked before, no changes to their format or name.
    Clean install of rf2 b.300.

Go to Tuning, choose a custom skin... alt name shows in selector but garage view shows default skin. Reload, reboot etc. same thing. If I choose a custom skin name anyway (even though showing default) and go to race, no custom skin.

Previously downloaded skins from server (league skins) also show in Variant listings but not visually.