Multiplayer lag/jumping problems

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by davedontmind, Aug 9, 2013.

1. davedontmind

davedontmind Registered

I've just been playing some multi-player with a friend.

I hosted the server on my machine, and we both joined it, along with about 10 AI drivers. My machine's not a top-of-the range beast, but it's reasonably powerful (i7 950 @ 3GhZ, 10 GBRAM, running rF2 from an SSD), so I should think it would cope ok with that. My internet connection is generally good too (30MB/s down, 2MB/s up, with a 7ms ping to my local speedtest.net server)

However, there was noticeable lag where, from my perspective my friend's car would jump around the track every now and then, and from his perspective all the other cars would do the same thing, making racing almost impossible (it's hard to overtake a car when it's to the left one second, and to your right the next).

What might be causing this problem (or what steps can we take to try to figure it out?) and what can we do to alleviate it?

2. LabR4t

LabR4t Registered

Try reducing the upload and download speeds in server or the number of AI drivers.

3. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Have you actually set your bandwidth for the server ? you can do it with the sliders right from the ded server prompts as you set up the game or you can set it in your mp.ini ..

like labR4t says try turning them down ,make sure your settings are lower than your actual speed's to allow head room .. sounds like you have lots of bandwidth , no need to have it maxed good solid settings are what you want ,no extremes ..

Make sure the clients also have realistic speed's set in there set up , I remember a few builds back the default setting was set to isdn on mine so i set mine manually , I would look there to start !

4. davedontmind

davedontmind Registered

Well, my server's set for a connection type of "Cable/DSL, 128 kbps upload". According to speedtest.net I get 2Mbps up (i.e. 16x what I've told rF2), so I have massive amounts of spare room already. But I'll try reducing it. I'll also try increasing it to see if that helps or makes it worse.

You said "Make sure the clients also have realistic speed's set in there set up" - how? I can't see any client setting for network speed.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

They are both in the plr file. While the server one can be tuned from the hosting first screen, for the client you need to change it from the plr only. Or that, or I havent found it within the ingame settings. This could be easily changed in rf1 and should be included as well in rf2.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

6. guod

guod Registered

hi davedontmind,

Try these setting changes. Back-up and store somewhere else your multiplayer.ini and player.PLR files before editing.

Multiplayer.ini

Upstream Rated KBPS="1024" // Rated uploading speed of connection, in kilobits per second
    Downstream Rated KBPS="4096" // Rated downloading speed of connection, in kilobits per second

Max Data Per Client="128" // if desired, a per-client upload limit (in kbps) will be used if lower than the computed throttle rate

Player.PLR (or whatever your profile name is)

Max Visible Vehicles="15"
    Max Headlights="3" // Max headlights visible relative to your car. (if you're racing when lights on)
    Vehicle Removal="10.00000" // Seconds until stationary vehicle is removed from track
    Debris Removal="10.00000" // Seconds until stationary debris is removed from track
    Parts Duration="10.00000" // Seconds after parts break off before disappearing

In-game graphic settings

Shadows: medium
    Shadow Blur: off
    Road Reflection: low
    Environment Reflection: low

rFactor video settings > configure sim

Sync: none (try GPU next)

7. davedontmind

davedontmind Registered

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will experiment with them and update with my findings.