Needing help for updates

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Jempy, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Jempy

Jempy Registered

Hi all,

As I remained absent of RF2 since a few months for different reasons: very busy and waiting for my new GPU, I'm now trying to update RF2.

I'm currently at Build 156 and the automatic update query via RF Launcher tells me .... I'm up to date :(

Well ... if build 240 is here ... of course, I'm not up to date ! :p

I installed a RfLauncher fix I found here but ........ same result.

What can I do to have this automatic update back at real work ?
    I hope anyway not to have to reinstall everything again.

Thanks in advance for the best solution advice ;)

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I'm afraid you have to re-install rf2. updater wont update on older builds.

And I think you also need to re-download all/most ISI content as they have moved from mods to single .rfcmp's

The Launcherfix is there to fix a login issue, it wont do anything else for the sim.

3. Jempy

Jempy Registered

Have I to backup some files, I suppose, before deleting and reinstalling ? ... so I don't need to begin from zero ... which I think I won't do and wait for definitive final release.

Sorry but I never liked deleting, reinstall, delete, reinstall .... I don't consider it a professional way of working.
    I saw it too much in the companies I were working for .... with closing at the end.

In the affirmative, please tell me which files to save ;)

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Packages folder, or at least those mods and tracks you want to keep (mostly 3rd party content of course)

You could backup your plr folder (in userdata) which includes your .plr file and setups in the settings folder (although with a fresh install I personaly would not want old stuff going back like .plr and multiplayer.ini)

For the rest nothing much really.
    The hard part is going to get all the content, download speed will determine your sim-updatespeed. rf2 itself updates pretty easily and you can even select multiple files and then press install and get a coffee.

The benefit of a re-install is that you don't risk old content mixing with the new, starting fresh is preferable imo.

If you want to avoid the unprofessional way of updating manually then you should use the auto-updater on each build. even if you don't have time to race.
    skip one build and it wont update anymore.

5. Jempy

Jempy Registered

Thanks for your time answering me.

For now, I haven't time to reinstall everything ... so I'll remain build 156 offline.
    As you say, the hard part is time for download .... except if that all may be found with torrent ! .... and that should be so except for the build itself !

I don't see the interest of an automatic updater if "skip one build and it wont update anymore."
    An automatic updater should never change !

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yup, if the torrent has the correct files then all the better.

As for the auto-updater, I think they are still fine-tuning it so we might see a more efficient system in the future.

7. Jempy

Jempy Registered

No chance that rFactor2 LITE Build 240 might do the trick ?

Delete question: stupid question from me ... of course it won't do the trick .... contents between 156 and 240 will surely be absent in the Lite Build

Downloading full 240
    Thanks to Ausgamers for allowing a Mirror link ... so much much much quicker ! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013