What makes rf2 so different from other games and programs?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Oldie, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Oldie

Oldie Registered

I used so far a phenom II 975. With this cpu i get round about 60-70 fps with my settings.
    Now i tested a fx-4350 and something makes me wonder. There is a boost from 20-30% in every game and program.
    After installing the windows bulldozer patch even up to 50% in some programs.

Only in rf2 i get much less fps than ever before with the phenom II.
    In fact not more than 40 fps now. Same system and settings as with the phenom II before.

And please, no comments like buy a intel!
    My pc had some other things to do, not just playing games. And thats why i prefer amd!

2. stonec

stonec Registered

rFactor2 uses only 2 cores of the CPU so maybe that's got to do something with it. On the other hand quite a few other games use max 2 cores as well, so I'm not sure that's the reason but it could be it.

3. Oldie

Oldie Registered

They are both 4 cores. And the strange thing is, that i bought the fx, cause this cpu is most notably faster in single threaded programs. Solitary exception is rf2, and i was hoping some of the isi staff could tell me why is that? They develop this sim and should know whats the reason.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rF2 is not a single threaded application. Looking at pages like the following I think the comparitive performances of the two CPUs isn't as clear as you've eluded to:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/204/AMD_FX-Series_FX-4350_vs_AMD_Phenom_II_X4_975.html

rF2 may present a different challenge to other games because of the intensive maths involved; looking at some of the benchmarking comparisons on that page there are some things the 975 is definitely winning. The MFLOPS comparison is especially interesting. (probably best to ignore the graphics benchmarks; likely the cards in question have had a massive influence, and they don't even state which cards were used)

Having said that, the performance difference you've described does seem excessive. But if there are no BIOS/Windows settings that are playing a part, and there are no incompatibilities causing one CPU to perform poorly in the system (and if the 4350 is running other games faster, it would suggest not), then perhaps it's possible that for whatever reason that is just how those two compare when running rF2. In the end the best way to judge relative performance is to try them, because you don't really know until you do.

This is going over my head a bit, but is it possible the gmotor engine supports 3DNow! ?

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

But ? You upgraded from 975 to 4350 ?
    Talk about a waste.