RF2 Physics of Dreams!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thor, Aug 4, 2013.

1. speed1

speed1 Banned

So far i could not get a reply to these questions.

2. coops

coops Banned

yeh we are still waiting on the last lot of ????? put to the DEV team about 2 months ago.

3. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

4. Hectari

Hectari Registered

On that note, the free tech demo of 'next car game' is available as well as early access to purchase:

http://nextcargame.com/

Really looking forward to this, will be great to jump into with fellow racers to blow off some steam and have a good laugh.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Leave this stuff for Flatout and Demo Derbys.

To create half decent crash physics would be huge undertaking, is there even any decent ones ??? what ? Next Car Game is ridiculous damage, you can drive a car with no front end or engine left how retarded. lol

Silly looking crash Fizzx would and only detract from the rest.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

haha just watched the Sneak Peak 2.0 Trailer, looks great fun, Destruction Derby Deathmatch anyone?! awesome!

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Awesome for what it is yes, I agree.

I wonder why iRacing does not have nor need awesome damage ! mmmmm

Please ISI keep rF2 a real "race" simulation

8. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Even so if racing is the main part. When you do crash, I would not mind some realistic behaviour or simplified wrecking models.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

If not at the expense of time spent on refining the more important aspects of racing, I agree.

I am not one of those low fps , visual quality bashers and I have loved Historic feel since ever.

To me a real racing sim this is what matters, I just look at iRacing ..........don't know what else to say.

Think of system specs.

As it is we have a lot of people use less then high detail, they do not see poles so they can cheat ( I not saying on purpose ) by cutting corners at Spa and Longford as examples with no impact but the next person with high detail hits pole on road and stuffs his race.

You would have the same thing with damage in races, you could be high detail following some bent up looking thing that could put you off your rhythm while the lower detail user would be following a perfectly good car.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I always wanted the most trackside detail in order to have more reference points, but you make a very good point; I never thought of that.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I stress however ! p

If they ever take up idea of a Pro version ( you know all the stuff I think is unrealistic taken out ) damage would be in there for sure.

I reason this because my Pro version would have no damage levels or buttons to begin with, it would be real, ergo damage would be real and the same for all.

I assumed people realized I expected only people that have the best tower and sim hardware would buy this version, ergo they would all be running high detail anyways and it would not be a issue.................. ;)

Of course anyone could buy it................mmmm ..........so maybe in Pro version you would not have anything lower then high/very high/ultra settings ie: v.high and ultra so you can still have some 3 screen scaling.

Why would you buy it with a slow PC ? to lag around the track hitting poles ? ......... hehehe

Nah they would buy the normal version.......

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  12. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

And these things rule each others out because why...?

REAL race is complex combination of uncontrolled variables. Massa got his head hit by a loose debris. Steering shaft of Senna's car broke down. Schumacher ran over Hill because he wanted to win championship, not because he was badly programmed. Mercedes got airborne in Le Mans 1999 because of great speed and bad aero. NASCAR race at Kansas was red flagged because of fire broke down at the grandstands. JP Montoya crashed cleaning truck at Daytona race. Marshall was cut in half in Kyalami. One infamous F1 GP race at Indianapolis was fiasco because tires did not work.

How long list do you need so I can get the point through? You can't simulate anything by taking away lots of the possible variables. rF2 and iRacing are both merely just games, they don't have much to do with realistic RACE simulation. They simulate tires and vehicle inertias quite nicely. Thats it.

13. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

There's no need for such a detailed visual damage model in a racing simulator. That's nothing to strive for. That's how race cars look like when something has gone plain wrong and that's just terrible, not something desirable. I'm just thinking of all great drivers that we have lost. I wouldn't mind some simple damage so you can see that the car is damaged, but the most important is that it feels damaged so you get punished when driving like an a**.

It's not a crash simulator.
    Exactly why would anyone want his car to look so damaged that no one could had survived when crashing?

Btw, it's totally uninteresting to destroy vehicles IMHO but you are free to enjoy whatever you want, but no need to bring it to racing simulators.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

A sort of "Pro" version racing sim from ISI would be AMAZING.

It would have a super basic sound model, with a very basic (even pre-RFactor 1) graphics engine, with almost ALL the processing going towards physics, much more complex than any current "consumer" sim. It would have to be fully optimized for 4 cores, anything less than 4 cores would take a massive hit in fps. If possible, it would take advantage of 6 or 8 cores for those users aswell, but at minimum the engine would need 4 cores to run properly, and would, importantly, fully and efficiently utilize the full power of all 4 cores. It would also use the graphics card for heavy physics processing aswell. Basically you're just throwing all the processing of the PC at pure physics/gameplay, rather than worrying about sounds, graphics, how many opponents you can run without killing fps, etc. etc.

The only area of graphics that would take a lot of processing would be the physics-to-graphics processing, so that every parameter of physics could be expressed graphically as much as possible. It's all about physics, but we need to see the physics too. Imagine your front wing flexing ever so slightly in physics but not graphically? Or you're tyre locks up and you can feel it and the physics react perfectly to it but you can't actually see the tyre locking? You need to "see" what the world around you is doing, not just feel/experience it.

(On a side note, "physics-to-graphics" style graphics are WAY more engaging, immersive and nice to watch, for me personally, than "paint a pretty picture" graphics. It's the reason why I can watch Richard Burns Rally replays all day, but can't watch, for example, PCars replays for more than a lap or 2. It's the reason why, to me, RBR's gfx are much better than PCars' gfx, even though PCars' gfx absolutely murder RBR's gfx, if that makes any sense lol.)

Almost the entire power of the PC will go towards physics, only the stuff that directly affects the vehicle being driven. Hardly any "extras" like sounds, graphics, etc. will be taking up resources.

Super extreme complex modelling of aero, tyre, chassis, mechanical parts (drivetrain, engine, tranny, differential, etc.) wind, humidity, temps. It would just be a processing "workstation" of pure physics.

I would be ALL OVER that!

15. Galaga

Galaga Banned

16. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

I would like to receive at least an electric shock or get knocked on head but some sort of device when crash.
    Heaters on my seat would be cool too when car is on fire.

17. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

LOL, some time ago I mentioned how I would like to see virtual driver damage. In some crashes you might break a leg or something and have to 'sit out' a few races in a season. Or maybe a really bad crash where you would have likely died. End of career and the game deletes that player profile and you would have to start anew.

Of course this would have to be in DD's Pro Version, no doubt :p
    EDIT:
    No, for the Pro Version, if the driver dies, the sim will no longer run at all. If you click Launch all that happens is a tomb stone appears with your players name on it and date of death.

18. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

ahah imagine the other side when people starts to wait on bushes for well ranked players. It will be the end of online racing in rf2.

Once i suggested to a french guy who made the realheadmotion plugin to make the neck bend and splash blood on screen but, as i remember, he told me to play GTA.

:)

19. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

That is why we cannot have realistic racing simulators ever.

That would be very nice feature in offline racing. Together with this, you could never restart race in championship mode if you fail it.

There are many reasons why rF2 or any other game is not pure racing simulator. These mentioned are only the few of the thousands. Want a really practical example? Not single racing series rule set is completely simulated. That is very basic thing to start with if you talk about "racing simulator" and not "driving simulator".

20. coops

coops Banned

Dev Q and A would be nice to see very early on in 2014. Hey MR Tim or ISI what's the chances of 1 before the end of February 2014 ???????????????????????????????