[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. kill_em_all

kill_em_all Registered

Agree, our real life events leave their toll for sure on how we reply on forums, more than we want to believe :)

I'm definitely not one of those completely dissing rf2's graphics, I think I even have some older posts agreeing that's really immersive, and much better in motion than screenshots, with a healthy approach to avoid the kind of bling that games like pCars are doing. I have pCars, but it's killing my computer, unplayable for me for the last 6 -9 months or so. If they don't sort it out the PC version will be limited to very few.

Anyways, AC reached a sweet spot avoiding excessive shine, but still using some to cover rough edges. And it's very VERY well optimized.

rF2's latest build is heavier on my rig than the previous ones, HDR is giving inconsistent results across tracks, replays are still awful. Nevertheless physics and FFB are bliss, can't get bored of driving it. :)

An example of awesome track artwork, affected by subpar(read dated) graphics engine is GameStockCar. Every time I play it, I'm amazed how well tracks are made, and what effort is put in all details, the track surface, the objects, trees, textures etc., but how the overall lighting (poor shaders?!) are spoiling immersion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  2. Cousin_Ken

Cousin_Ken Registered

LOL sprinkle a little on the curbs :)
    Oh wait.... this G25 doesn't sniff :)

No offense intended, no regrets donating for new PC and multiples for track creation, reverted to version 0.97n

Thanks again for Ring_Tourist and Godspeed peace to your neighborhood.

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

That's exactly the feeling I had with AC... after noticing some rough edges in nurb, after spinning out at some location, I realized they were cutting some edges short.. probably they are under pressure a lot.. they are late to the game compared to rf2, and rf2 is already badly criticized for the speed of development, so they know they have to go faster if they wish to gain enough market... They advertise much more, and seems to have an higher budget as well. But that is my perception, might not be reality. And they are on steam... it helps a lot.

The first time I turned the wheel in AC and without the car moving, I really enjoyed the feeling.... it was wow... i feel the tire resistance in my wheel, something we dont have yet in rf2... but when you take a corner and the tire slips... with default settings at least, its really not a good feeling... its loud, i literally feel bad for my wheel.

About rf2 being heavier, last time I was on it, it was in the build 342 days, right after the particles system came in at 300 I believe, and it was really heavy at the time, when I came back to 660, I thought it was faster, but hard to really tell as I have no actual data, but its just a feeling. Might be heavier than other between 342 and 660 tho...

I was tempted to give a try to gamestockcar at some point, but knowing it is the rf1 engine, even after seeing how it can be different with race07 (i catched up with these much later after their release), but still, cant be enjoyable for too long... once you have driven an higher poly road mesh, there is no going back... and i feel AC have lower resolution mesh, am i right? Almost feel in between rf1 and rf2? Playing the nurb track gave me this impression.

Regarding details and world quality, have you tried the euro truck simulator 2 ? (not really new, but again, something I catched up this year)... its looking really good at max settings, lots of attention to details, textures, blending, lighting, its amazing to drive in this world! Still having some problems backing off in most harder places, but I never give up and park it myself in the end, so far at least! :)

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

The kerbstone you are talking about? These will get sorted out soon I believe :)

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well... I think it's time for me to move on...

It really pains me, I have worked so damn hard in the past few months since I came back... for what? Not much... sure I did get some good comments about the recent changes, but a lot are unhappy about the kerbstones, and now, the tarmac isnt pleasing everyone or so it seems.. I keep on hearing people still using the 0.97n version...

So I guess I will stop there, and let you use whatever version you wish.

I can't remember who, but someone mentioned X-Motor Racing last week, and I had given it a try, and althought I didn't liked what I initially saw, there was only 1 car/1 track, hard to judge a software with seeing so little. The person assured me it was better than it looked in the demo. The features list seemed interesting enough.

This morning, after checking out the thread here for the X times, without any new things added, I emailed the guy behind XMR and asked him if he would grant me a license to XMR in exchange of Nord. He was kind enough to agree, so I will start the work soon on it. I feel I might have more appreciation over there than I get now.

I understand I cannot please everyone, but honestly, it's painful to put in as much as 15 hours per day and all I hear is complaints. When I had complaints before, I didn't mind so much, because I knew I was mostly wrong.

But with the 1.50-1.65 updates, only the kerbstones could have deserved a thumbs down... people talking about color balance and stuff, I didnt changed any grass textures, they are probably only mapped a little different size, that is all... and are 2k instead of 4k... I havent touched the color... so it could as well come from the new HDR code. Anyway...

So what do you want me to do, you guys are saying you prefer a version that I made a while ago... and I won't continue to involve my full self to make only a handful happy.

Since I don't do this for money, I must do it for a reason, and this reason is appreciation. And I havent gotten much for the 1.65 update which, to my taste, is the best release I ever made. So pick whatever version you enjoy the most and... well nothing! Race it!

On a side note, we had a little financial break with the tax return, but its already long gone, not that it was that much. But we have so little anyway. I never asked for donations, other than when I needed to buy something to move forward and I couldnt. I always have been very grateful to everything you sent me.

I haven't made millions, nor thousands either.. I have gotten a new mb, cpu, ram, and I was able to buy the textures I used along with the scripts, plugins as well.. I never profited from any of this. Since my come back at 1.5, I have received 2 donations. 1 for the 1.5 update, and another from a different person for the 1.6 update... that is all. As I said, I'm not expecting much, but I dunno... before I was used to get at least 1 every week or two, enough to keep me going when the going get tougher... I have moved Nord forward like 5x in between the 0.97n and 1.65... in my book. So much as changed, I nearly touched and redone most things.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, I just find it hard to accept.

If anything, out of this, I wanted to get a job somewhere. Ideally for ISI, but I don't think it will ever happen anyway. I know I'm not the most social person in real life, when I can't think before speaking, so I would perform best in a dungeon, locked away from others, like Steve Jobs did at Atari I believe? I relate quite a bit to that guy actually, even tho I'm not really an Apple fan.

So if you are curious to see how it goes on XMR, feel free to come over! I'm out guys, it's been mostly an awesomely fun run, except for the past few weeks.

6. Justy

Justy Registered

:( Very saddened to hear this Pleclair. Thankyou for all your hard work with the track, I'm sure that many many people DO appreciate the track and the unique touches you have given it... I know I do! Personally I think people are too busy trying to beat the AI and soaking up the sights and scenery, so maybe they have forgotten to come and thank you. ;)

EDIT: For what it's worth I've sent you a donation, as a small thankyou. All the best pleclair.

Cheers
    Justin

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

It's unfortunate that many who appriciate your work don't necessarily come here to say thanks...I'm sure that is vast majority of us. So it seems that everyone is complaining because critiques are the one posting here mainly, others are driving around this great track.

XMR seems interesting, thanks for your efforts and good luck for the future!

8. delapecs

delapecs Registered

pleclair, you break my heart.
    However, I can only feel gratitude towards you. I followed the birth of rFactor2 and your track from the beggining, post to post,page to page, every day. Especially your post, your long post full of hopeful information, your "disappearance", your return online, sometimes to unhealthy limits :eek:
    I canceled a family vacation and I did 300km back on a Saturday August when you get your first version (I'm single, do not worry) ;)
    It was everything I wanted in this world:
    The Ring in rFactor2 at last!
    Well, thank you again for your hard work and what you've created. For me the best version of the Ring in which I played, apart from the real, of course;-)
    See you at the Ring

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya pleclair

I tried your early version ( & also donated as it looked promising ) but haven't tried it since,
    I hope you've had many other donations, sad that they've dried up lately as you sound very committed etc

I'll give the latest ( final ? ) version a try

again thanks for your efforts and sharing the results

10. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Man, I love your work and your attitude on constantly improving your skills. Yeah people will aways keep moaning no matter what. Usually those who are satisifed keep quiet. :) To my eye you have improved all the time and basically done something impossible for a just one man. I have huge respect on you and truly believe you can become another Feels3.

Well I have never seen as social guy as you on any Internet forums! Social person in real life... well you can always improve on that area and nowadays anyway most of the conversation is done via email or chat so no worries... :) If you want to work for ISI you need to ask for a job from them - it's not going to happen the other way around. In your pants I would offer myself with a minimum salary or even half the salary. Maybe even few months of practice work without any salary to get opportunity to show your potential. If I was ISI I'd surely give you a chance - without any hesitation. In my mind enthusiasm, motivation and will to work hard will overpower plain skill and experience in long run. Would ISI have needed environment for you to grow and time to guide you into the ISI's way/standards of track creation... that I don't know. It's quite small company so existing employees may have too much work on their hands at the moment.

Anyways big thanks once again for your hard work on Schleife! It has been more than great for me long time ago but of course any updates/improvements are welcome. And if you decide to move your focus onto some other track then I have only one wish for this track - make those kerbstones lower as your final work. :p

Keep on rocking!

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

pleclair if your quality gets to a high enough level ......you'll be noticed for sure

( again I've not tried Nords since your 1st release so I'm not referring to this project in any way )

I'm guessing a built from scratch track that's all your own efforts will show what your level of ability and what your willing to pass off as acceptable
    A fresh new project might be a good for you too

feels3 was a beginner not that long ago, like you he obviously worked very hard at learning how to do things,
    I'm guessing that within his character he is a perfectionist which showed in his work etc, maybe you are this way too

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  12. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Oh come on. Are you serious? Just because not everyone is clapping hands for everything you are doing? Just because you are not getting enough postive posts?

Don't get me wrong, i really liked what you are doing and was so happy when i first noticed your thread (except the kerbstones :p), but you should cope with criticism and filter what is usefull and what is useless criticism.

So don't bury your head in the sand and keep up your good work.

13. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I echo everyone else and thank you for all your hard work bringing this track to my favorite sim. Sad that it's the end for rF2, but hope this was just the 1st step for you for something bigger, and hope one day you can start earning for what you enjoy doing. Big big pat on the back.
    DJC

14. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I want your desired version, your latest version, without the silly kerbstones - as always! Sad to see you go though, sad to see your forrest-work wasted - honestly!

15. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

so sad reading this news pleclair...i love your nordsch job!!!!!!

16. bwana

bwana Registered

Sad news indeed, I for one was happy with all your work and would never complain( as many seem to) about any of your work . I for one very much appreciate ALL you have done.. May this be a lesson to those whiners out there that some times its better to have something than nothing especially when its free.

Good luck with what ever you do Pierre ,I know your work will always be appreciated.

17. bwana

bwana Registered

For the pissing dog , get some 'skunk off' its a product you spray on the fence , dog wont go near it .. Used ti on my fence to keep a dog from barking and bouncing off the fence trying to get at my bull terrier and staffordshire, I should have just let my dogs in his gate , but didnt and solved the problem

18. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Just put the constant complainers on your ignore list, this forum is much better that way, believe me. :)

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Imagine how thick skinned the ISI devs must have became, I think some ( or most ? ) of us have had a bad spell of complaining at times, I know I have

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

No surprise you're going away man. I'm sad to hear this of course, but it doesn't surprise me one bit.
    The idiotic stuff some people seem to get stuck on complaining about... On and on and on...

Thank you for one hell of a Nordschleife and all the very best of luck to you in the future.