[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

2. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

@pleclair: Do you have any plans to connect with GP Circuit to have the famous VLN-Layout?

3. furiousgibbon

furiousgibbon Registered

I just updated from 1.5 to 1.62. A few things, and sorry if these have been mentioned recently, I did scan back a few pages to check:

1. probably a good idea to update the thread title, I glance back occasionally and when I see 0.97n I think there's been no update. I forgot the track was even in the 1.x stage!

2. Personal preference, but I don't like the crowds/caravans on the edge of the track. Looks cluttered and the two dimensional objects detract from the realism. When racing this track in rF1 I'd always choose 'Tourist', as I liked the uncluttered look of a Tourist session rather than a race day. I have been racing with circuit detail on 'High' as this removes them all, but I think it cuts out some of the trees too. When set to 'full' the crowds are back, including a cardboard cutout crowd right infront of the entrance gates.

3. Those concrete curbs have been discussed before, but I'm surprised they're still there. It's a shame as I'm sure a lot of effort has gone into them, and it will probably be a lot of effort to remove them, but they don't exist in real life and when driving this track I'm terrified to go near the edges. It really breaks the realism of the track, I know they existed at one point in time, but not anymore.

Great work on the track though, the foliage density is great, driving the URD cars around here is an absolute blast!

4. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

+1.

I did recall that I have seen a post that version 1.6 is available, but had a hard time finding the post when I decided to download the files later on. This thread is so busy with more than 2.500 posts - people must really be interested in this stuff ;-)

I understand that pleclair does not want to officially release versions which are not meeting his expectations or not fully completed but on the other hand people (including me) get a hard time finding the right verisons.

Thus my recommendation would be to extend the first post with a section "BETA Versions" (or whatever pleclair name prefers) and add version 1.6 and 1.62 there.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

You didn't scan back far enough. There are about 200 posts on those topics already.

6. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

the upload might be corrupted.. i've downloaded the track few times and allways rF2 stops responding (crashes) on track loading, about 75% of it loaded.
    anyone else?

edit:
    my game settings are as follows: everything else maxed out except; shadows medium (shadow blur=quality), road reflections low, soft particles low, and transparency AA disabled in the PLR file.

Could there be an issue with settings, like medium shadows dont work or something similar maybe? just thinking...

Love the track and your work pleclair, keep it up :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Texture Detail. Set it at a lower setting.

8. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Regarding cracks and bumps, I'd say put them where you feel it's natural. The track is repaved in parts every year, and the version we have is obviously not the 2014 version, so it doesn't really matter.

Bumps often forms where the tarmac is seeing high loads, so braking zones mostly, and maybe a little on some corner exits. The track itself really is alot smoother than many seem to think. It's not the bumpy, cracked hell it was in the 50s. TV cameras mounted to rock solid racecars at race speeds exaggerate the effect of bumps greatly.

9. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

tnx for the input DJCruicky :)

Tried all settings medium, and high and still game crashes on track loading :(

Any help from community or author would be greatly appreciated.

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It's the game, 32 bits can't handle the load

11. MJP

MJP Registered

Run it in a window with something like Resource Monitor showing rF2 memory usage to see if you're still hitting the ~3.7-3.8GB limit.

12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hey guys,

Well.... good news and bad news....

Good news is, I managed to finish up the long awaited update, and I'm currently almost finished uploading... will probably be done by the end of my post.

A lot of things changed, you can find out all about it in the component description. I also reworked all the tatoos yesterday, since after redoing them and setting them to 0.001 as mentioned, I didnt noticed that most of them were still actually hidden. The large clip plane require more than 0.001 in most cases.

I found out that splitting my objects that need to be set to decals, into smaller pieces, helped reduce/remove the flickers, and allow to use smaller values like 0.003-4...

So all tatoos are now visible.

The bad news is, things are stirring up a bit over here, and I dunno how long I'll be able to work on Nord... not sure how things will end up over here, so I might have to take an unwanted break.

The download is much larger because of the new road textures... each are 5mb in size, but not all are used... I will clean up after I'm totally done with adding variety to the road. I havent found much on the state of the tarmac in the guide, for the section after the karussel, it was mentioned in lots of corners the tarmac was rather in good condition at the time of the guide, so I let the light tarmac (medium age) there.. with the new patch that was already there.

So right now, there is three variety of tarmac, old, medium, and new. You will easily find out which are which as each as visually distinct and feels distinct as well.

Without any more wait, here is the download link:

https://mega.co.nz/#!oR40zRqL!8HeKufR7sjLQ3uYiLsY1GUJTTB5wAiVxuBWxjuw5l64

For the same reasons as before, I won't update the first post, as there is still too much issues, and I dont feel its a release worth of putting it there. I understand it's lot of trouble sometime later on finding it in the thread, but I already answer repetitive questions as it is, if I were to update the first post with a release like this, I would get bunch of uneeded posts. And the thread would grow bigger than it needs to be.

In any case, if I have to stop working on the track, I'll update the first post with the latest version there will be.

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Regarding the extra 24h objects, like the caravans and such, this is totally optional. Settings track detail to max load them, and settings it to high don't. The rest is the exact same. When you get to medium and low, other things get pulled off. I have set low to the ultimate low, so most uneeded things to race the track are gone. It's the ultimate attempt to get the track running on lower end hardware.... I will double check these visgroup later on.

At the moment, I cannot run the track with texture detail to max... well I can, but its tight.. it feels much better at high, and the visuals are barely affected. Might be worth a try if you experience the same thing. Ultimately, things will get much better once I finish up the forest and swap the far trees with lower resolution textures.

14. pleclair

pleclair Registered

If you don't get crash to desktop, the game isnt frozen or crashed... the initial loading time is painfully long now... probably over 3 mins on most medium end hardware like mine. If the loading bar is around the inner ellipse at the bottom of the loading screen (there is two, the one on the inside to the right) the track is loaded, and it's doing some precalculations stuff I believe... might be related to the cbash stuff we see in userdata... Everytime you change something related to the road texture, fresnel values, or stuff like that, the loading time is longer....

If the game crashes at the end of the loading bar, then it's related to ram or vidram... in this case, settings lower number of AI, lowering texture details, opponent details, reflections, and other things like that helps a lot.

At the moment, with 1.5gb vidram on my card, I can play everything turned to max, but its not really there, its missing some... might be related to my vidcard quite underclocked to save it from overheating as it get used a lot... but I have everything else set to max, with 8x AA I believe, HDR, and texture detail to high, and the game runs fine, with 12-16 AI (actually havent tested to find out the max I can run with this setting)...

However, settings things to med, I have no problem running a full 29AI grid at 60fps locked.

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Forgot to mention, I've included the brilliant HDR profile Tosch made for build 660 in the track, and also made 4 different rubber profile, light, medium, heavy and record rubber are available to suit your needs.

EDIT: The HDR profile should be automatically applied as I've included the currentprofile file.

16. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Please take care, my friend.

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Many thanks pleclair.

I hope things work out ok for you man. :)

18. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

Thanks Pleclair! I always start this track thinking " Ahh I'll just drive a few corners" and 2 or 3 laps later I pull over. Really fun!

19. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Thanks a lot Jean Pierre, best wishes

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, I thought the 1.65 update already went unnoticed as we switched comment page, so I updated the first post...

let see how it goes :)

EDIT: I'Ve noticed yesterday that I've accidentaly selected and moved slightly the road near ex-muhle while splliting up my road lines into smaller pieces to help the flickering... It doesnt matter as it's only a tiny crack, but I thought I would mention before many start taking screenshots to tell me about it :)