[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. kill_em_all

kill_em_all Registered

On the simdream mods I have to agree, the older M5 feels heavy like a tank, but it's sooo much fun around the Nord. The Z3 iz very tail happy, and the RS4 is a humped back harsh animal :).

2. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Totally agree with you. The m5 feels heavy, but it might just be the ffb that is set strong by default. Cause if you watch a replay, and more particularly a crash or lose control replay, you will notice the cars behave in a very realistic manner. Often times, when you crash cars in rf2, you see the weak side of the physic engine... the cars when in air don't seem to have weight no more... imo... but these cars seems to have weight!

And yeah, the RS4 is a total blast to drive. The default setup aint bad, but you can get much more with it :) Did you noticed you can play with the differential settings, settings front/rear ratio? It also spins on itself like an awd should on its default settings. Putting 70/30 makes it very interesting! Specially if you soften the front a bit, and make it a bit more grippy when releasing the gas pedal, the rear end will come off on its own, then with just enough front wheel drive power, it's gonna drift with a lot of stability, and you can pull off stuff you cant just do with a regular rwd... its awesome fun!

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well... I'm torn here actually.. I know I have said it would be only for rF2, but actually, its more because I want to support ISI and if anyone wanna race this version, they have to get rf2, which is the best of the sims anyway.

I have AC as well, and even tho it looks good... I just cannot drive it naturally like I do in rf2... its like your real life experience dont really apply in AC... you have to get used to it, just like netkar... it doesnt mean its bad.. but I dunno... on the other end, rF2 is a lot more natural for me, and I can see a huge difference between my fwd driving skills and rwd in rf2... I cannot really tell for AC, havent played nearly as much, but from the first time I tried it, I didnt liked how it handled. It's getting better tho with recent updates, then it was in the tech demo. But it's still a bit away from rf2, imo.

Another thing I don't like about it... netkar pro was pure race sim. No AI, no nothing, you started the car, bla bla bla... in ac, its like they went codemaster style with it... the drift mode.. and drift car, and other more arcadish feature... it doesnt get me there.. much the opposite. I hated codemaster for ruining excellent racing games... dirt 3 could have been awesome without the crap... the rally event were terrific, the handling was quite good, and the graphic were to die for. Could have been much better than it was... and the online leaderboard shows to who it was aimed for....

So, I like how ISI stayed true to themselves, and managed to make a 2nd installment 100x time better than the first in every way. This is the real next gen sim for me.

But I will also get every sim that will come out, since I like trying them out, see new cars etc, but that's about it... maybe something will replace rf2 sometime, but I doubt it, or it will be rf3 :)

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I like drifting as you have seen in my videos :) But I dont like the target audience it is aimed for in games... and I dont think you need a drift mode or car to drift... if your regular car with regular physics cant drift well.. its an indicator your product might not be what you claim it is.

4. gagipro

gagipro Registered

[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v0.97n beta

E36Z3m 1430kg IRL - set to 1465 in simdream mod
    M5e39 1720kg IRL - set to 1825 in simdream mod

Both cars are setup like factory defaults...
    Most of trackday cars are emptied by arround 100kg to 300kg...

These are factory cars, not trackday setup cars.

The engine curves are really close to original ones, same for transmissions (gearbox & diff).

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

That's good to hear! I will let him know. I also told him about the sound, you should see with him to let him know what you think could be improved.

He seems very open to suggestions and improving the cars.

Have you tried the free z4? When I first tried it, after purchasing some cars, I didt noticed it at first, I didnt liked the light steering, but after driving it some more yesterday, I think its pretty nice afterall :) Im not sure if the physics are on the same level as the other bmws, but it was nice anyway. This might be a car needing the most improvement, if you know it well too :) Check it out!

6. kill_em_all

kill_em_all Registered

Interesting info. Actually this is what I was always curious to see ho the boring real life production cars behave in conditions that one would never push them with his kids on the backseat :)

7. gagipro

gagipro Registered

I've tried this :)

View attachment 12841

Noo I didn't see the Z4 : have to check it !!!

what can be improved is the sounds :)

physics are good, 3D is nice, cockpits ok, weights are ok.

I'm more focused to trackday setup cars than factory defaults, remember, it suits my needs as I'm using rF2 to train the real car you see in this screenshot :p

He's better than me (I think I have the level in car moding he got last year when he stole us), but me : I won't sell my cars : I will give them to the community because I took the 3D models somewhere ... the 3D is not my own job.

I don't know if simdream borrow the 3d models or made em from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  8. kill_em_all

kill_em_all Registered

My main problem with rf2 is that so far they focus on racecars almost exclusively(except the Panoz?), which let's be honest very few had the chance to feel how close they are to the real thing. Also, I believe that sims are not really doing justice to these monsters. G forces and peripheral vision are responsible for pumping adrenaline, while none of that helps us in front of the monitor. On the other hand, the slower, more gradual feel of ffb on the production cars, lets one get a much better sense of physics, control, etc.
    And AC already has a very nice offer of road cars. Does it feel closer of further from reality than rF2? No clue..

9. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Well factory car on track... I tried with my oooold m3e36... Lot of rolling, bad braking.

Si I upgraded antiroll bar, brakes and suspensions... Way better.

The z3m and m5 handles like my unupgraded m3e36...

10. gagipro

gagipro Registered

For peripheral vision, 3 monitors doesn't help much (it's linked to fov, complicated to setup). Got surround setup and it doesn't help me much except you can see what's on your side, my friends don't know what's on their sides, perhaps occulus rift can help more with speed feeling...

About racing cars... Factory defaults cars are really good for roads and bumbs. They are setup for road use. I prefere then a racing car feeling. But, you are true factory cars like the z3m and m5 can be funny, it handles a bit like in reality actualy! Lot of rolling and road suspensions...

You drive faster in the sim than in reality!!!

You don't want to break your car...

Between rf2 and AC... Main issue is track setting/car setting. The track must use realroad, and there are loads of tracks with wrong grip in rf2. In AC, I feel more the car, strange...perhaps because it's new feeling, don't know.

You're right about gforce, this is missing! For the feeling... Pfffiouuuu, there are so much things missing in sims... Perhaps a dynamic seat can help... I think wheel feedback is good enough in both sims even with the fact that there is delay.

Trying to get my mods closest to reality as possible, but trust me it's hard & long task!!!

On thing that is missing in the feedback, is when the tires goes too hot, you can feel it in reality, I cannot feel this through the wheel ffb, imo !

I think the feeling of hot tires is not well rendered in the ffb (I've got csw but it's the same with other wheels).

ISI engine simulates tires deformation when hot, but not sure if it's rendered correctly in ffb.

One other thing, I drive manual with clutch to be closer to reality. Same for you for the BMWz??? No help at all, no abs or Traction control of course.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  11. kill_em_all

kill_em_all Registered

Yep, clutch and no aids. but I have lower quality gear(G27).
    I agree to your post, I actually many times find myself saying, man, if I were on the real track, I would definitely not enter that turn with such speed.(e.g. Flugplatz turn). Now of course with a good coach and car and plenty of money and time, one could learn to adjust these up to a certain degree.
    My only real life experience is some karting, and heck there is a difference between simracing and the real deal. Sure there is technique that one learns faster at least at the beginning if he had some simracing experience. But the whole strain on the body, perception, fatigue, etc. , very different story...

I don't have experience racing with normal cars, so don't know about the feel of hot tyres? Different way of losing/regaining grip? Extra sliding, loss of accuracy in the steering?

12. gagipro

gagipro Registered

With the toyos r888gg semi slicks. When you ask too much to the tires. It begin to feel like chewing gum in the turns. You can feel that the tire's rubber is wearing really fast. Not sliding but more like the tire wall is not rigid anymore, resulting in loss of accuracy in the steering, like chewing gum ... In the sim, only way I know the tires are too hot is by listening and watching tire temps... And, I notice that I loose grip but the feeling in ffb is not there like reality, when you understeer. Oversteer I've got the feeling but not for understeer, at least I don't like ffb before understeer occurs, ffb doesn't inform me enough.

But Toyos r888gg are semi slicks. I'll try with Michelins slicks after my transmission upgrade I hope.

Can you feel something like this?

I can't feel chewing gum when tires are beyond 110C in rF2, did you noticed such indications in your ffb?

G27 is good enough! I've got every top notch Fanatec (csw, cspv2, css, bmw rim) and that doesn't make me a better driver. It's really nice and beautyfull stuff, but my team mates got g25/g27 and they are better than me. It just feels like top notch but same feeling, a bit less precise on logitech... But what a price difference! It's perhaps 10 times the price : I must be a fool :)

G27 is like a clio - csw is like a bmw

But if the driver is bad ... I'm a bad driver :)

I think we are a bit off topic... Sorry about that.

Edit : about chewing gum feeling, I have a camber issue, I will retest after the camber is right :), have a look to the tires after the trackday ;) and one more pic about the rolling issue ... View attachment 12854

View attachment 12852 View attachment 12853

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
  13. kill_em_all

kill_em_all Registered

The only feeling I have with tyre temps high, is significant loss of grip but in a uniform way, without any other effects . But this feeling can be exagerated as I see the temp chart.

14. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Oh I can so agree with you there. The most karting I have ever done was 3, maybe 4 10 minutes sessions in a row. And I remember at the end, my back and arms were so hurting, I had to slow down pace.

It's obvious you need to physically train hard to drive cars like Formulas... But again, you are probably sit and tied better in these cars... so I dunno how much harder it is then "just" karting... its much fun tho!

15. gagipro

gagipro Registered

What I meant was that I'm not sure the ffb info when losing grip from front (understeer) is well modeled (behaviour of ffb linked to behaviour of front tires losing grip).

In AC, I don't think it cares of this, rF2 tries to but I think it's still under development...

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

That's good to know about the hardware... I was wondering how much better I could be if I would get one of these better wheels. The only thing actually that bugs me with the g25/g27 (i had both), is the deadzone in the center... you have no ffb when driving in a real straight line, you need to turn a little to have some. This makes going straight much harder with some cars.

Other than that, I love those wheels, very robust, and I have used them for very long period of time consecutively without any overheating or other kind of problems. Great products. The g27 feels much better than the g25, and is a lot more quiet. I love it!

Regarding tires temp, I havent noticed anything other than the lost of grip, but again, I havent been paying attention... I will try to notice next time I'm at it. At the moment, my hands are ruined from the many laps I'Ve done in the past weeks... both my thumbs and both middle fingers (index and one next to it) are numb from gripping the wheel hard for extended period of time. I wanted to ask about this, anyone ever experienced this? I first had this problem when lapping on silverstone and time attacking for a while when it got out. It took a few months to go away, and it never really healed fully.

Any ideas if gloves would help? I first thought these things were more flashy than useful but maybe not afterall... same with shoes, anyone using some "racing" shoes? I can't drive with my regular shoes, and driving with socks only hurts the feet after a while too.. but the hands are the worse...

EDIT: The problem seems to come from the threads in the wheel in the inside. It's harder, and it has relief, so when you grip hard... it might block circulation or break nerves? So that's why I was thinking gloves might be of help here.

17. gagipro

gagipro Registered

On a g27? I don't remember anyone of my team mates were hurt by their wheels.

And there some guys who sim more than 4 hours a day.

I know some use gloves, I don't like gloves.

I think you've got to use gloves if you sweat a lot, or if there is a fire risk.

Got alcantara on the csw bmw rim and also in my real bmw, I don't need gloves cause I don't sweat much.

Depends if you sweat I think, or if the rim wears your skin?

There are guys who use gloves on their alcantara wheel, not to wears the alcantara or leather :)

18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Nah, I don't sweat much either, this isn't the problem. The problem really comes from grasping it too hard, and for too long. Usually, I don't play as much, but when I was working on the AIW, I pretty much had no choice.. had to improve my own lap time and try to race the perfect line for most of the lap... its pretty much impossible to do a perfect lap on nord... but it doesnt hurt trying to make it as good as I can... so I ran a lot more than 4 hours per day during this time... more like 10-12hrs+ per day... for a couple of days in a row...

Inside both of my palm I got some, how do you call this is english.. its like there is two bumpy lines of tough skin. This is annoying but aint hurting tho :)

The thumbs are the worse... the fingers are a bit less.. but the feeling I have on my thumbs is pretty much the same as when you hit yourself on the elbow, its like an electric sensation, and when you hit hard enough, you feel like there is ants running in your arm... a bit like when you have lied down your head too long on your arm.. as soon as i pick up or grasp something, I get this feeling in my thumbs, but like when you hit hard your elbow... so I cannot continue to grasp when I have the feeling, I have to let go.

19. gagipro

gagipro Registered

In french then.

Tu veux dire des cales de peau morte ? De la corne? :)

Ants in the hands ... Electric shocks... Huuu sounds not good!!!

Well 12 hours simracing is a lot, you will burn your brain dude :)

20. Ecco_pRv

Ecco_pRv Registered

That would be very nice!

I thought of creating an AIW file for your NOS with EGT after 1.62 update because there were a couple of corners where the AI braked unnecessarily and I could easily overtake even at 102%. Most probably because the AIW file was created using another car class.
    …but I couldn’t even get the EGTS to run in DEV-Mode ;-/

But since you mentioned you further improved the AIW I’ll wait for the next version patiently. :)