[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

You need to get v1.6.

Here, the download link for 1.6:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!dFAXEZyC!slddi-jr8TNnXpvnIq5wc9Zi9UTFDRA7oFMUCoR9WWQ

And then you will be able to update to 1.62.

Sorry for not updating the first post, but as I already said, and as you guys can see, this release, even tho there is large improvements over previous, still needs some work before it is really out there publicly.

As Denstjiro said, the crowds and 24h stuff are floating in the air mostly, since the landscape changed, and I need to sit them down again. I didn't do it already, because I will convert the cardboard people to billboard. Since some of them are grouped together in an image, I will need to separate each people etc, so it's not as easy as it could have been. Otherwise it would have already been done.

So, for all the cracks still around, mainly around paddock, because I totally ripped it apart and redid everything in there, so there are likely cracks I haven't noticed, and one I know of at least... I would rather keep it to those who follows thread, and knows about the project well, so they know this stuff is not intentional or that I'm not aware of it.. I'm well aware of most stuff wrong, but its highly likely I haven't got 100% of it either. So that's why it's kept in the thread.

Otherwise, I would have to answer the same question over and over, and I don't really like that ;) Waste of time!

2. baked bean

baked bean Registered

3. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks for this in depth analysis!

The whole landscape is now fully smoothed.. there should be no jagged edges remaining.

The additional 24h objects were meant to be sitted on the old landscape, but it changed quite a bit when I smoothed it. I also looked at gtr evo a bit, and some hills needed to be raised, other lowered, so I inspired myself from it a little. As a result, everything was floating, the fences, trees, people, etc... I've taken care of most things now, just need to do something about those 24h objects.

I know they aren't looking that great... on screenshots, they pretty much ruin it, but in rare occasion, they can look good on screenshot. However, while you race, it adds a lot to the scenery, and you have no time to see how bad they look, it just looks real. Well, they are all pictures after all, low res, but still... from a distance they dont look so bad.

If we could have someone who attends the next 24h and take a bunch of high res pictures, I could replace them with high res images! Would be much nicer.

About the cardboard people, this is something I want to keep intact. It is part of the history of the track, and I believe many, if not all of those, are actual members of rFactor. So I'd like to keep them as they are!

When they will be billboarded with a subtle animation to make them move a bit, I think they will look much nicer.

About the empty trail in the hill near the karussel, this part was built into a terrain object containing grass. When I started a new for v1.5, I re-imported everything from scratch (only the trees and objects remains from 0.97x, the terrain and racesurface have all been redone), I removed the mats that wasn't grass, and forgot to re-import it back. For some reason, I only noticed it a while after 1.5 got out.

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yeah I know this, and I'm sorry about it. If this was a smaller track, I would wait until things are more settled to release... but given the size and time it takes to do any mods to it, I rather release more often, and let you guys find stuff I might have not seen, and take suggestions at the same time. You guys helped me shape it quite a bit, and a lot of decision came from your suggestions.

Also, given the popularity of the thread, if I would update the first post with every little update I do, I would be swarmed with "bugs reports" that aren't really bugs, but things to be done.

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks! The AI is still rough a bit around the paddock, I havent seen any jam up yet, but I will work further on the paths in there... but the AI for the track is pretty solid.. only in the panoz and some other road cars... but strangely, not all.. for instance, it can drive a Golf GTI 76 I have pretty well...it was some good banger racing!

I have yet to figure how to create custom racing line for different cars... I've read about it in the tutorial from ISI, but it says I need to race with the car I want to set the line for... but there is only the rtrainer in dev mode.. I tried installing the panoz, without success, yet..

I wonder why it's so hard to get cars into dev mode...

7. kpawson

kpawson Registered

I also noticed this and it seems to be random, I wasn't sure if it was the car I was using or something else, but it does appear to be this track only now that I checked it further. This may just be a coincidence but if I wait before clicking race to get into the car for about 1-2 min I don't get the red flag for pit exit?

Thanks for the updates and I will test more later.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I hate to say this because I am one of your biggest supporters and have fended-off doubters who initially said you couldn't do a tenth of what you have accomplished. But your artistic "choices" are going to make many people lose interest and a certain conversion will inevitably make it's way out in to the wild and render this track redundant. I would hate to see all the work here go for naught. I have already expressed my views on what would be wise from a career development perspective (months ago), so won't repeat those here.

Nevertheless, I am happy you improved the AI as it will contribute greatly to the enjoyment of this track.

9. Galaga

Galaga Banned

very late to the party but welcome back, preclair :)

just curious are there surface changes in any of the new versions?

10. Wutzmann

Wutzmann Registered

@pleclair

Can you plese edit the thread title if there is an Update.

That would be really nice!

Thank you.

11. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

And please fix the texture from Steilstrecke.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Ok, here is my bug report on the AIW file.

One branch of the pit extension is not marked as pit path. This results in a penalty for exiting the pits under red while standing in the pits. Activate “show waypoint connections” in the show/hide menu. Main and pit path should have different colors for the connections. You can delete the wrong waypoints and drive a new path. Don’t forget to create new corridors!

You have to create (drive) proper left and right paths before you create a teleport spot. The teleport spot is the start location where the grid is teleported to if you skip the formation lap. When you create a new main path (the center line) the fast, left and right paths are all aligned on the main path. The problem is, if you create a teleport spot the AIW Editor creates new (teleport) start locations based on the left/right path . With these paths overlay each other the grid locations will overlay too. The result is that the cars starting side by side will spawn at the same location (looks cool btw). :D

The new fast path is pretty good except for entrance “Brünnchen”.

The garage spots are a bit problematic. At some spots there is not enough room for the cars to make a clean exit. They collide with the curbstone. You can angle the garage spots a bit into the driving direction.

The curbs are included as driving surface (that’s not bad) but some should be excluded manually to avoid AI collision. Make the corridors visible in show/hide menu and move the corridor lines with Ctrl + Cursor keys (white=left – cursor up and down, red=right – cursor left and right). You can use the rectangle tool with mouse to mark and move multiple waypoints.

The transition from pit path to fast path is not smooth (cars slow down). You can fix this by mark the fast path as editable (corridors etc should be hidden when you do this), mark the way points and move the fast path with Ctrl + Cursor keys. There is a problem with the last waypoint of the pit path. It is not possible to move the path if only the last waypoint is selected, but if you add the second last WP it should work to move both.

Here is a fixed AIW file.
    https://mega.co.nz/#!z8QAyShK!M8rUMH6RVZL4DD12_w-mT0GpAgdChLQrjn4JyY0YlRo

That’s it from my side. Keep up the good work!

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hello Marc,

I have to say that I'm a little puzzled by what you just said... You are talking about artistic choices, but I don't understand what you mean? Are you talking about the kerbstones?

Also, you mention a certain conversion getting it's way out? What are you talking about? You mean the one version we aren't supposed to have? the gtr-evo one?

I just don't get what you mean, sorry. I'm not an artist btw... i'm a technical guy. But all I know, reading your post didnt made me feel well.

Honestly, I don't get all the fuss about the kerbstones... they don't look at their best atm I know, but the sides aren't that bad either, they are just like the paddock was before, the side is mapped on 1px of the texture, stretched. I understand if you are starting on the track, they add another degree of difficulty, but that's exactly why I have made them too. I'm a good driver, and I need a challenge. That's why I drive hard to drive cars and tracks. And this brings another layer of danger.

So until I start to work on an accurate version of nord, please, stop with the kerbstones. It took me a while to get them in, I won't spend hours to get them out now. It's not a simple matter of re-importing some terrain pieces and reverting the changes, the landscapes changed a bit, and I cannot simply do it the easy way... I would need to collapse and fix them all manually.

14. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yes I know :)

This is a good example of why I didn't update the first post btw...

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

You mean, the racesurface itself?

Recent releases, 1.5+ are all made from scratch (well, re-imported from scratch I mean). The whole terrain have been re-imported from the rf1 mesh, and I have worked with the original mesh, instead of work with the mesh I had previously. Since I wasn't knowing much when I started, I thought it would be a better idea to start from scratch again, then try to fix a broken mesh.. 0.97x mesh was up to a point where I would try to attach two pieces together, and it would crash Max.

So the racesurface is also completely different than what it was before. While still similar, it is not the exact same. the TDF have been adjusted further, some regions were completely wrong. So overall, the grip is better, and the racesurfaces gives different feelings too.

I've also adjusted the grass and sand as well a bit.

16. hoover

hoover Registered

I got this too testing the new AIW last night.

The AI themselves seem much improved, I wasn't able to catch up with them at 95% strength like I usually do going up through Kesselchen.

cheers, Uwe

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks Tosch!

Regarding the pit paths, I was a bit puzzled.. cause every guide that I have read about AIW tutorials, was made for a simple pit, where garage and pits are together.. so there was no garage path, and I didnt knew what to use. So my first path was the generic one, cause I first tried to mark as 1st pit, and it overwrote the other one, I then tried the pit extension, but for some reason, the AI didnt followed it. Then made the generic one, and it worked. So I used a generic, but this was at first, when I had only 1 garage done, for me, so I don't get to 0,0,0 anymore... and climb a 45 degrees steep hill... I thought it would break my wheel everytime I climbed that darn thing. It was impressive to see the car jump in the air at the end of it tho.. I even landed on the green hell cafe patio two times :) The ramp was attached to a branch in the circle near paddock.

Thanks for the great infos about the AIW btw!

I'll be giving a try to it just now!

Have you managed to beat the AI at 100%? I tried all day yesterday, and I can't win a 5 lap race at 100%... I have taken the lead a very few times, but I can'T keep going with someone tailing me like this forever :) I make a mistake and lose pole :)

18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Have you changed the fastline?

Cause yesterday, I lowered difficulty at 90% because I couldnt stand 100%, and 90% was just alright...

However, with your AIW, the AI slow down massively at start finish, trying to get in rank, so I need to slam brakes when getting there, and once that happen, I take the lead easily before nordkhere and I'm away without seeing them by hocheichen... I think I'll work on the stronger AIW and fix the generic path.

Also, I like to take alternate route in the paddock to get out, and you put the pace car right where I got out :) I'll move it back on the isle.

It was a 12 AI race, and I started out last... so taking 12 positions before nordkhere aint right :)

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

nice to see that pclair is updating this track etc,

I have to get into this track when I have a spare day to learn it's bends & curves

this track is big enough for a 1 lap race lol

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

It does take a while to learn, it's overwhelming at first... Many bends are alike, but not exactly the same... add the brutal elevation changes and you got a track that tries to make you spin out every darn lap :) But when you manage to get a couple of laps done without wrecking the car, it starts being a load of fun!

If I can suggest, make use of the transparent trainer. This will be a good help, since you will visually see where you can improve lap over lap.. it's a great training tool. Until you get good enough and then it's becomes a nuisance, cause it pushes you too much, (at least in my case) and I start driving with too much stress.. then I turn it off and further improve without it.