[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. kpawson

kpawson Registered

You are not kidding, I'm really struggling now with AI... which is great, I love it even more :cool:

Thanks for all your hard work pleclair, this version is looking very nice indeed, was watching some YouTube clips of VLN last week and I can see you have made some real changes to reflect the track now.

Keep up the great work and maybe soon you can start working on the VLN layout :p

2. hoover

hoover Registered

thanks for the new AIW, I'll give it a go over the next couple of days!

Uwe

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

If you wanna have the most intense racing action, pick the Clio, and run a race with 12-15 ai... :)

I just had the most intense lap ever with this configuration. It was tight all the way around... I even got passed by when I was planning a move myself to pass the guy ahead... it was awesome!

But I noticed something... I had smoothed out the fast line at the start finish yesterday cause AI was slowing down, like in the previous original AIW. But it looks like I did something that created a small zigzag in the line and the AI was slowing down a tad. We were the 13 of us all tight together, I was 10-11 and when we got to the start finish line, i slammed in the guy in front of me...

That's when I quit the race and went into dev mode, and saw that little zigzag and fixed it. It's all good now, the AI should never slow down for nothing.

Here is the 1.62 update download link:

https://mega.co.nz/#!FBJ3TB6Y!mCcHRRJYoZwyzi11ZUcRU1ZqxsNrs4T7wkUwSK1FQnU

Uninstall the other update, and install this one instead.

There seems to be something that makes rF2 thinks that we exited the pits on red. But we don't seem to actually have a warning for that... I don't understand... this appeared yesterday when I was struggling making the start grid works for a rolling start. I ended up looking into the AIW file and noticed I could copy/paste the old grid, that was working well, inside the new AIW... and it worked perfectly, except for this. Maybe it's unrelated, but it seems to have happened at the same time.

Any ideas on the problem?

EDIT: Oh and btw, thanks to all those that "bugged" me about the AIW. I know it was long due, but it is not easy to do, specially when you have never done it, and need to do it for a track like Nord. The process is next to excruciating... the AIW editor crashes a lot, I lost my work a good number of times... running the whole 20km at 40-80km/h is almost painful... focusing on the centre line (I had xform'd the racesurface and pushed the lines in the center, so its easier for me) makes me nearly fall asleep. I had to pause, do something else, and come back.

But I now understand why I was lapping instead of racing... the ai was too terrible.. it was a good practice at first when I didnt knew the track, but they were rather weak to think of it. I think I'll be racing it a lot more now.

I say bugged because everytime I would see a comment about the AIW, i was like damn, I know, but I can't do anything about it... and was wishing all this time that someone might have stepped in and done it :)

If we need more drivers allocation.. know there is plenty.. the paddock area is huge, and the 33 cars doesnt even fill it half. I can extend the pits in the gp area too, cause we cannot fit much more than 11 at the paddock in the pit lane...

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
  4. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Hi peclair nearly great job so far. Here is a list of bugs i found. Maybe you are allready aware of them.

I really don't understand what you have done to the Krussell? Why have you smoothed it? There are concrete slabs. They aren't smooth. Have you ever watched this section from an onboard view?

Take a look here: http://youtu.be/mufI4gMN91I?t=7m1s

[​IMG]

PLEASE REMOVE THESE CURBSTONES!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really don't think these trees belong there :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

The karussel isn't actually flat... It is smoothed out. I have plenty pictures of it that shows it pretty well... gtr evo's karussel is also smooth, just like I did mine. In fact, I have inspired myself from the gtr evo's karussel to make mine.

The kerbstone, as I said, as meant to stay there... I know these doesnt exist in modern day Nord, but I'm sure they were at some point in time, and even if they don't, I like them and think it makes it more interesting. If you have a problem with them, please look at improving your driving first and try not to run into them or past them. I know a lot likes them, and some don't... and that's fine. We cannot please everyone. If I ever get to make an accurate version from scratch, they will disappear in that version... but for now, they will stay.

And you are right about some trees, I spilled a bit with my brush, I will remove them :) At least you cannot hit them!

6. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The whole GTR EVo track is to smooth, also the karussel, that can report you every person, which was ever on the real track. the Statement from Simbin was, that they did it that way to make it driveable for everybody undepending of the skill

7. McFlex

McFlex Registered

And GTR Evos Kraussell is just wrong. Take a look at several onboards and you will see that it is a lot rougher than yours/GTR Evos.

I actually don't have a problem hitting them while racing, but they just look awkward. I really can't understand people who like them :D. Everyone i talked to about it, just scratched his head and asked me why you have done this. So please please please please please rethink your decision or maybe release a version without the kerbstones :)

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Oh, I think we misunderstood each other then... you are talking about the roughness, yes, it should be a lot more bumpy in the steering wheel, I know. I will modify this in the tdf soon so it shakes a little more.

However, there is an S curve when you look at the real karussel. It's not flat as the original low poly karussel was. That's what I thought you originally meant.

About the kerbstones... this will likely happen in the accurate version... I know they don't look good right now, since the side mappings aren't done, I extruded the poly, and will need to map the sides so they look like in the paddock area. I wasn't sure how they would look etc, so I didnt went on mapping the side at first, since I wasn't sure if they would stay or not.. but they will :) Imo, they make a very nice visual addition when you check them out of the tv camera positions, and they are interesting while racing, forcing everyone in for the time they appear.

When the mappings will be done, they will look much better then now.

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hmmm so quiet in here :)

I'm used to have more comments after an update :) Even tho this one was very tiny, I would have hoped to hear more from it given how it changes the game :)

Is everyone trying to beat the AI at 100%? I sure did try many times this morning and never was able to. The only time I was first, while starting last, as I dont run qualify, is because I didnt noticed the EGT series started me with enough fuel for 1 or 2 lap, so after a while, we are running down the dottinger hohe all jammed pack together, and I was like 11 on 13 or so, then I see everyone breaks and pull to the pit lane... I was like eh... why? then I notice the fuel icon once I'm passed by the paddock.. tsk tsk tsk... :)

I've tried most cars, and there won't be needing much adjustments actually... maybe only for the panoz, cause the rest seemed to drive correctly.

There is no block line defined yet, and it's near impossible to pass given the track.. not sure if it's worth working one out...

Let me know how your experiences are! And send some videos!

The pitting seemed to work fine, the AI pitted, and rejoined the race soon after... and I also tried the pits myself in another race, and it worked fine too.

In case you missed the update, here it is again:

Nordschleife 1.62 AI Update:

https://mega.co.nz/#!FBJ3TB6Y!mCcHRRJYoZwyzi11ZUcRU1ZqxsNrs4T7wkUwSK1FQnU

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

You are in luck kind sir!
    I was not able to test the new version because I had to avenge my brother whom was killed by students of a rival kung-fu school. I wasn't sure which school it was so I decided to take them all down. took me a while but now I can get back to racing.
    so where is it? do I realy need to go digging for it Pleclair? I must warn you, I have a bad temper and I know kung-fu very well!

anyways, will be back with a list if demands shortly :p

11. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v0.97n beta

+1. And don't forget to do the same for rFactor2. 32bit is a some how outdated standard, isn't it?

Sent with Tapatalk

12. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

Nice looking update, but the performance did suffer for me (on a GTX 560).. I used to have 60 fps (vsync) all around, but now my fps are dropping below that, mostly near the pit and in the first sector up to the first fast part. I run track detail on Medium, lowering it to Low does help but that looks really weird with buildings and bridges missing.

I'd also like to complain about those sidewalk curbs. The track might not be exactly like the real version, but that's not something people really notice, and these curbs will be noticed. Not in a good way by me.

I'd still like to thank you for your work, but I do hope you'll do something with these complaints as I'm clearly not the only one who seriously dislikes the curbs.

13. Justy

Justy Registered

Just trying the ISI Corvette out, with a sprinkling of AI cars, racing into the sunset. Simply awesome! Many thanks!

On a little side note and not especially important.... but, is it possible to edit the thread title with the latest version number of the track? I must admit, I missed this latest update as it kinda got swallowed up, in a bunch of other posts and pictures.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Justin

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I like it Pleclair!
    V1.6 is yet another big step forward, really love the trees and what they bring to the track in terms of atmosphere.
    framerate is good as well, around 60fps which on this track with my system is pretty great.
    and I might be mistaken but some of the hillsides seem much 'rounder' or smoother, less edgy. very nice.
    I don't mind the raised track edges people are complaining about, if it was there at one point on the real track, fine by me.
    blue-ish colour of the asphalt, I don't mind it either.

got some flickering tattoos going on but only in replay and that might well be rf2.
    The mirrors do flicker violently though.

spotted a whole crowd-section floating above ground:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sugpib9vruwfhu4/floating crowd.PNG
    this is after the 2nd bridge, down/uphill in the chicane section, start of S2. turn 20million.

Also noticed how the shortcut-hill used to be paved, now it is transparent (just before carousel)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7o6r1qina2v6te/transparent hill.PNG

And finally a more personal take on crowds, tents and fires. I didn't want to say this right away when you came back, starting off with a bummer is never a good thing :)
    But to me its a bit too much, it gives a cartoon feel to the whole thing.
    the people on pit exit is another example, they turn and fade in such an unrealistic manner its almost comedy like. and since when do cars drive through people?
    But keep in mind, I generally dislike the cardboard crowds anyways so my opinion is biased.
    but just an example of what I mean:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmrgkvukf21zzft/scenery.PNG

All in all though, top job man, really happy with it :)

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah this might be the reason Pleclair is not seeing much reactions. I don't think he can update the title without a mod but burying it in a post somewhere is going to get unnoticed by peeps. just update yer first post Pleclair :)

16. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

i cant see the update in my mod manager..i have V 1.5 installed and i dropped the update in my packages folder,But i dont see it in mod manager..Any ideas what im doing wrong?

17. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Wow, great improvement on the a.i Plecair, good job man :cool:

18. baked bean

baked bean Registered

look at 1.5 in your mod manager, you should be able to right click it to update :)

19. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

20. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

tried that but update is greyed out only uninstall and delete are all i can choose..