[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Welcome back Pleclair, you had us all worried. Happy you fine.

2. boxer

boxer Registered

3. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

W00T! Glad to hear you are well pleclair!

4. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Welcome back, man! Glad to hear you and your family are OK. Thanks for all your hard work!

5. bwana

bwana Registered

Congrats Peclair, fantastic update, as for fires ,smaller will probably work fine(better than none imho), Im interested to see them at night and would love to see a smoke haze slowly rising into the sky.Can almost smell it now!! At pit exit the bystanders on the left need to be either rotated toward the pitlane exit or something as they appear side on at present and very skinny ;)

Thanks again and welcome back you sure did have the community coming up with some wild theories, so did you really get probed by aliens and if so did it hurt? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  6. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

lol bwana,
    I thought he was locked up or something :).
    I spotted the skinny people too. Maybe they will end up with bill board properties where they always face you.

Did someone steel the castle at the top of the hill? It's gone :D. 1st thing I look at on the home straight.

welcome back again P.

7. cubbi

cubbi Registered

Good to have you back pleclair - the new version really looks great :)

However I have one big issue with it: There are way (!) too many curbs now (not the painted ones, but the concrete curbs)
    Example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You were probably using some older pictures/videos as a reference, when there were curbs:

[​IMG]
    (source - quite interesting)

Since you are going for a recent layout (judging from the Yokohama sign) it would be nice if you could remove them again (sorry, was probably a lot of work) - but in real life there are only very very few of such curbs and they are a lot lower

Nevertheless: Good work, looking forward for more!

PS: Would be nice if someone can provide pleclair with an updated AIW where pit spots are in the historic pit lane so there is more space for many cars :)

Edit: Here is a nice overview of a lot of parts of the track with recent pictures:
    http://www.nuerburgring.de/ueberuns/mythos-nuerburgring/nordschleife/streckenabschnitte.html

You might also search for bicycle videos, because they are a lot slower and you can take a good look at curbs, trackside objects etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ffz2Tooi48 (There are actually some concrete curbs at 20:13 :D Just very low)

Edit2: Woooow! Have never been so immersed when driving on a virtual Nordschleife, especially at night! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I was wondering about the new curbs as well...thanks for the good sources of current photos and videos!

I also want to nominate pleclair for the award for doing the most with the least! Who else could accomplish all of this with so few tools, computer and monitor issues, no Internet for months, etc.? I still chuckle at all the people who told him to quit before he even got started because it was impossible for one person to upgrade this huge track. Through the whole period we have received nothing but ever-better versions of the track and tireless progress. And the author is still gracious enough to speak about eventually turning over the job to others when he reaches his limits.

I have two comments on that:

1) It doesn't appear that you have any limits; just that some things may take a little longer to learn than others.
    2) While you were away, we have had some great examples of collaboration on tracks with one person doing AI; another one focusing on textures, etc.

I think you have proven your mettle with the development of this track so far and should now move to the next level (as a real developer would)--find volunteers who can help with specific components or tasks because they are experts at that (e.g., AI) and you project manage the integration of their efforts into the further iterations of the track. That way, you won't have to give up the reins to someone else...just share in the effort for the greater good of a higher quality track for all to enjoy. There is too much work in this track for it not to always remain a "pleclair production." ;)

9. Duvel

Duvel Registered

glad you are back preclair, we were all worried.

10. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

"If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants."

Welcome come back.

11. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Welcome back pleclair!

New version is pretty nice. Those bonfires surprised me :D they need some tweaking :) Lots of new trackside objects, I think it's good. Noticed some flikering. But it runs smooth.

12. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Hi Pleclair! A really big thankyou to all your hard labour.
    This version is really getting "us" there.

13. lbird

lbird Registered

Although almost everybody said it already, in this case i just have to add my 2 cents too:
    Welcome back pleclair, good to have you here and even better you seem to be alright and still motivated for the green hell!
    Great effort, appreciate it big time and a giant thank you from me!

14. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Good to have you back Pleclair :)

As already mentioned, the trackside curbing is wrong.. very good reference pics by Cubbi, thanks for pointing it out in such detail. The trackside objects add alot of life to the circuit, which i like, but the if the track is supposed to recreate the "tourist" layout, it doesn't make any sense because those campers and thousands of spectators lining the track would only happen if there was the annual 24 hours race, or one of the VLN Series Races ( although those won't attract a crowd as big ).

I would love to see the addition of the GP Circuit into the Nordschleife loop, to make up either the 24 Hours or the VLN Layout of the track, so that the community can hold proper endurance racing events there :) Still missing the pits from the GP Circuits. The improvised pits don't really work for more than a handful of cars.

And if possible, please remove the dust emitting from the Curbs.. i know its nothing major but it has annoyed me since the earlier releases.

15. bwana

bwana Registered

doesnt turning soft particles off in setting get rid of dust?..

16. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

No, at least not for me. I don't know what exactly is causing it, it might have something to do with the different track surfaces or so..

17. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

This is looking great. Good to see you back and in good form.

18. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Pleclair many thx for the detailed "changed log".
    I've tried out the new version without reading first the change log and one of the first things I noticed was the beautiful curps and that the road is now much more alive.
    To drive this track with the URD-Darche is immersion pur :)
    Thx for the many other things you had done like the huge amount of work in the background to split the track in segments redo the mesh and so on !!

If it's ok I have one point for the wishlist somewhere in the future :) :

If it's possible IMO it would be raise the immersion factor if you could rework the trees we see in the cam view which follows the car automatic. Or maybe they cam view need some changes because sometime the trees are to near and the texture does not fit to the cam view angle and distance.
    I hope my explanation is not to bad :p But do not hurry or stress it is only for the wishlist !

thx alex

19. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Welcome Back Pleclair.

Thanks for the update, can't wait to give it a go.

20. Mini Schnauzer

Mini Schnauzer Registered

Hi, the most important is that I am glad you are well, for the rest, thank you very much for your work and dedication.