[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

No, very unlikely. The track data source isn't that detailed. And the problem is not that pleclair (with some collaboration) couldn't do it but to get good data.
    I really think because of the historic importance in racing and common interest laser scanned data should be available for free to the public for the Nordschleife.

Great video Magus! Very high quality and the aerial filmed parts show the color with and without rubber and some sections with old and new tarmac very well.

2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

No, just haven't seen it. Is that only with the latest version?

3. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

ehehe with pleclair hyper activeness this question will be hard to anyone answer

4. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

5. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

What we need is a few runs on several driving lines recorded from a chase car and the front car would need to be a super soft suspension heavy vehicle like a Dakar ORR truck and you can put markers on the truck body and suspension arms so the contours of the road could be estimated throughout the track.

SCIENCE!!!

6. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I know. French Canadians are craaayyzyyy.

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

10 bucks on Pleclair creating a winter version for this track to be released around xmas. with reindeers and stuff.

8. In stead of gambling the $10 why not donate it to him then it might help towards a new release update for Christmas :)

9. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Na, for Christmas I want an AIW that puts all my opponents driving backward around the ring. I want a REAL challenge..... survive.

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hey guys!

I figured I'd drop by and update you on what's happening! It's been a while and I've made good progress since.

But there is something I need to tell you first, I have come to conclusion that I cannot do the 24h layout as I have planned. I will keep working on that mesh and use it for the tourist instead. The reason is, the gp circuit is in really bad shape. I haven't had a good look at it before I made the announcement, but it almost looks like that part was made differently from the whole rest of the track. For instance, there is no track edges. Right after the road polygons, there are large grass polys, and no edges.

I cleaned up a whole lot in this area, removed all overlapping faces, and there was many. I started work on it, and added edges for the stretch going in the circuit, but when I got to an hairpin, I was a bit in the blue as how to handle the wires and everything. The road connections are horribly done, and there is no way I can smooth them without redoing them all, and I have no clue how to rewire those section properly to have a good density for rf2.

A few days ago, I was really curious to see how things were in game, and at that point, I hadn't seen any of my changes live in game. So I took a day, and split the track and export it to see how it looks in game. I had applied a one time mesh smooth on all roads, including gp, and it wasn't enough. The gp is still very rough with one mesh smooth, and the tourist is far better, but seems it really need that tessellation to make it perfect.

So I was a bit bummed out with the fact that the gp section is horrible... but if I were to continue in that direction, it might took me too much time at the moment... or we would have the tourist looking good, and the gp circuit looking sub-par.. and I don't want such a huge contrast between both.

So here is how the mesh is looking right now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, everything that I went over is completely redone. One would look at that mesh and could never guess where it comes from. It's all brand new! I've hunted all overlapping faces, edges, vertices, isolated vertices, multiple edges, and t-vertices... and very few remains. I had to let go a few in the bridges sections... but everything is now connected together.

Since I never done terrain blending, I tried to think ahead and add vertices and geometry in areas where I wanna blend some textures in. I'd like to use a forest floor textures for areas where there is heavy trees... there shouldn't be heavy grass in those areas...

As you can see from the number of polys and verts in the screenshots, the clean up I did accounted for a lot, with all that extra geometry added, I'm still below what I started with when I imported everything. And I'm only a couple 2-3k more polys and verts than I had on my last update here.

So, now you must be thinking, wait, you tried this in dev mode, so where are the screenshots? Here they are :) Don't expect to be blown away tho, all mats are still not redefined, and I'm using all default textures for now, since the mapping needs to be redone for a few textures, and I don't want to make it heavier in Max either yet.

But if you are familiar enough with the track and how it looks now, you can extrapolate and imagine what these smooth hills will look like when properly textured and with all trees, fences, etc added!

(screenshots need to be taken into a new post.... too many images again)

I'm still trying hard to come up with something for christmas, but it might be tight. I'm currently past the adeneau bridge. I already went over it already, since I smoothed stuff initially until the village... but after seeing comments about the mesh, and how mesh smooth messed it up, I decided to do it manually, and rewire everything.

I've taken care of all those funky parts like the bilstein bridge, where those parts were an object sloppily added over the terrain... Now those parts are part of the terrain and all connected together.

Really sorry to have gotten your hopes up too fast on the 24h circuit. It will likely still happen, just need to improve further in order to rewire it properly, and add the needed geometry.

But the tourist should be looking reallllllllllly good.

I have also went ahead and bought GTR Evolution so I could have the best reference I can have on PC. I'm not using any parts from it, but I'm using it as a reference on how hills should be etc... again, don't expect it to be exactly like it, it won't be, but it should be closer to reality than what we had before.

Unfortunately, I cannot fix the layout itself. I had already overlapped the 2.2a over google earth's data, and the layout is similar, all the curves are looking about the same etc... but everything is a bit different, and if I overlay the stretches so they mostly fit together, then the rest of the circuit is not matching... and it's not a matter of redoing a corner or two... or three, or four... its the whole thing.

When driving on it, it might not seems all that different, but it is.

I have overlayed evo's version on google earth data, and it is 99% accurate, and the 1% probably comes from my tracing... since there is an area that is screwed on google earth, and I had to extrapolate.

But after driving evo's, I can safely say that the 2.2a version is more interesting anyway, in the sense of driving pleasure. The elevation changes are more pronounced, and some corners tighter... the evo version felt a bit faster.. it is particularly evident in the first corners after the main stretch... the U corner is quite a bit more opened up.

So what I'm trying to do is combine best of both world. I'm using evo as reference on how hills and scenery should be, and I'll keep the 2.2a layout to keep driving pleasure at a maximum! One area that will be quickly noticeable is when you exit the double s turns after the gp overlap, the hills right around the last s turn should be a lot bigger than we have, and I made it look like evo's. Another part that will be striking, it the adeneau bridge. The hills before the U corner should be much smaller, and also runs toward the bridge, and become higher for the bridge section. The hills we had were stopping after the corner, and then a lone hill was supporting the bridge (on the right side)...

Hmm, why not a screenshot to better show what I mean...

[​IMG]

Having evo's will also be useful to determine how a few really bad textures should look like, since some were so bad I could hardly figure what is was... and what to replace it with...

@Denstjiro, Funny that you mention it, cause it was something I thought a while ago! And if I wasn't so busy at the moment with what I'm doing, I would probably have done something like add a christmas tree and some decorations in the paddock area, and maybe some tatoos, etc... but I'm already sleeping short nights trying to pull this off for xmas...

@J.Persson regarding the road bumps, I wish to make it more bumpy as well, cause I also think it is too flat. But like it's been said, the original mesh was way too low to have any bumps defined. It was bumpy because the polys were so huge.. :) But I would feel confident in creating some bumps now, only need to know where they go, and how much bump to apply, and the kind... is it all across the road, or over a defined part, like a pothole or something... althought I doubt there are many of those on the circuit :) We aren't in Montreal after all! (We have such ugly roads... :p)

So having someone with actual knowledge of the track would help... someone who's ran it many times in real life... cause looking at videos and pictures... unless they are taken for this purpose, to show the bumps and stuff... it will only be guess works... and I can already do that by randomly putting bumps in sections I see the camera shake in videos...

11. pleclair

pleclair Registered

And the missing screenshots...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Oh, and in the mesh screenshots, the red lines you see are markings I have done on the textures to know how they are mapped. I'm fixing all the mappings on the grass that should be mapped going in the direction of the track (gras.dds) and I'll redo the mapping on the other grasses that are mapped planar.

As you can see the original far scenery is mapped really huge... and that is a 512x512 texture....

13. Nor

Nor Registered

The bumps in rf1 version were realized by adding not visible but for terrainfile relevant mesh in particular parts of The track.

Concerning The gp layout you could ask a creator of existing gp circuit for permission to include it for 24h layout.

I still offer you help to edit some particular parts of the track. You only need to send me your max file and we could start share work.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9001 mit Tapatalk 2

14. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

15. Nor

Nor Registered

This video from schumacher's lap in the petronas Mercedes could help to find out the areas with most bumps.

the cam is on the front wing, you can clearly see the frontwing moving in bumpy areas.

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I have written to Mianiak when I started work with the 24h mesh, but didn't had a reply just yet. I wasn't asking specially for this, but general question about mesh and stuff, so I guess he's rather busy at the moment.

I agree that would be the ideal thing to do. I believe he used the same mesh I'm using to make it, so it shouldn't be so hard to integrate with the whole mesh back again. probably a matter or rewiring the border edges to link it all together.

So I'll continue working on the tourist part of the track, and if I haven't had any news from him when I'm done with it, I'll just release it as tourist, and wait until I hear from him, or I can figure a way to wire this part properly.

When I gotten gtr evo, it was on special on steam, so I gotten all simbin games in a 11-12$ bundle... was a great value. Since I once heard that the 2.2a originated from gt legends, I opened up gt legend nurburgring, and found out the tourist isnt even in. It's only the gp circuit in 3 different layouts. But again, that part of the circuit isnt the same we have in the 2.2a, it would be already a better start than what we have.

So is the 2.2a release been made from scratch or it's a conversion of something else? I'm a bit puzzled.

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yeah, that is the video I use the most for reference in real life.

But again, the video, even tho in HD, isnt good enough to make out clearly the bump, you can figure a section is bumpy because of the heavy shaking, and michael easing on the throttle, but other than that, it's hard to figure how to model the bump properly... should I only make a couple of verts a bit more in and that's it?

18. Nor

Nor Registered

That's true you can only pick The bumpy areas, not special bumps. How to model them? I guess it is try and error. Or you go on The street near to you, look for some bumpy sections and measure The wavelength and amplitude of such bump to get an idea how to model it.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9001 mit Tapatalk 2

19. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

I'm sure if the gp circuit looks near as good as you got the rest of the track it will be excellent.

Cheers,

Sean

20. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

wow 100 pages

SS