[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Yeah, I don't have any problem with the download in Opera Next. Won't try it, though, the L was already a bit much.

2. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Hi pleclair,

I wish i could say: awesome work, but the "older" version is already awesome. So, only few impressions:

Older Tosh hdr profile doesn´t look good in my system. Colors are washed and some flickering with trees and grass but when i choose no profile looks much better.

Did not get any hit in fps performance as i was expecting by what you said. I´m getting around the same fps performance i get on Brianza (but online and i don´t know if this made any difference)

Some flying objects:
    View attachment 10958
    View attachment 10959

Thanks you for all your work and i will beat some old lady and get some money to make a donation because makes me feel bad not doing a little part at least of this amazing job.

Cheers.

3. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I skipped FireFox and tried Chrome. Chrome downloaded with out a hitch. I didn't notice the problems Jerri had, doesn't mean they weren't there, I may have just missed them.

I thought it looked better (and felt better, placebo effect maybe) while driving, but replay seemed like it wasn't as good looking as last build.

Sure was fun though!

*edit, I do remember seeing trees, shrubs and the wheel wells of other cars flashing while still sitting in garage.

4. Thor

Thor Registered

Thanks! :D

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Greetings Jerry!

Thanks for your feedback.

Regarding the HDR profiles, the latest from Tosch, should look good, this is what I use on my end. I use the gamma one. I also like the contrast one. If you feel colors are washed, give a try to contrast. It's the strongest of the profiles.

As for performance, you probably have a very decent computer then, or maybe you aren't playing with everything turned on maybe? FPS on my end has taken a little dip. I have to run with fewer AIs, or lower texture details.

On a side note tho, since most textures are now high res, lowering texture detail doesn't make the game look bad. I have tried all settings, and even low doesn't look bad. At least while driving. If you pause the game, and take a look, it's nasty.

But medium is pretty decent. I wouldn't take screens to show people at this level still, but while driving, it looks really good. High is a very good compromise. It looks almost as max, and screens looks good too, and fps is substantially better than max. Plus you can run quite a bit more AIs.

So it's always worth a try with lower settings... :)

Those objects, I was already aware of them. I never bothered with the fences yet, since they looked so ugly anyway, so it didnt really bothered me, I was barely seeing them. But with the high res texture, it's more of a let down now. I will take care of this.

Regarding the flying signs in the paddock, I was also aware of this, but it happened when I first started. I always start my work from the paddock area, and go the full lap around. I find it's easier this way. So I started welding verts, and didnt knew these seemingly floating verts from top view were actually signs. I wasn't expecting such objects to be included in the terrain. So some got welded or removed.

Again, since I'm starting from scratch, and reimported everything, I won't do the same mistake again. :) So, paddock will retrieve their sign's pole :)

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

The grasses and shrubs in the paddock are indeed flashing. I'll try to have a look, there was a couple of overlapping poly in this area, might have helped.

As for the replay look... that's odd... are you playing at max settings?

Cause on my end, it'S only in the replay where you can really admire the beauty of it all... zooming close to these high res texture sure can take outstanding screenshots!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and regarding the guardrails, I know these aren't looking like those in Nord, these are temporary guardrails. I used those they already had on their website. Gametextures have made some based on the real guardrails Richard have sent me. And they are looking really sweet!

As you probably have guessed, the curbs are in the list of textures they will have made for Nord :cool:

EDIT: I know the mask on the guardrails could be refined, I found out when I tried them, but I didnt bothered with it, since they are only temporary. I was curious to see how they looked and was also curious to see if we could afford much high resolution on the guardrails, and we can.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The N version is quite amazing. We are all looking forward to the next 24h version that includes all of your advanced learning and techniques!

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Did a full lap in the new viper from URD. Sex.

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I forgot to mention, feel free to browse gametextures.com library and let me know if you feel there is a better replacement for something I either already replaced or something new.

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

It is indeed very nice! :) I like what they do a lot.

I'm also really happy to hear that you resolved your crashing issue :)

11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I had to go through the directories and delete everything to do with the map. Stuff uninstalling doesn't delete.

12. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

hi again plecair. No, my computer is pretty average, but i have a good gfx(gtx 6804gb) and play with 3072X768 resolution. I didn´t lower the resolution in game because even this way i get 55 fps in average. Did some laps now in Brianza (online) and got 65.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Cya

13. argo0

argo0 Registered

Good work, looks even better and runs just as well as before on my Athlon x2 3.0(oc 3.3) HD4850 512mb. Getting 40-60 fps with 19 AI, medium texture, circuit and shadow detail, full player detail, high opponent detail, 4 x AA 8 x AF, HDR and occlusion on, reflections off 1360 x 768.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

14. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Getting (capped) 60 fps just like previous releases, No performance hit at all. Its really coming together now !
    If you remember a while back we had some trees sinking into the ground, I'm not sure which part of the track it is called but its close to the 1st bridge, there is 1 large tree that overhangs the track on the right and it kind of does the same thing but sort of folds away :/ when I pass it.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Got to install & get into the track, pleclair it looks as though your doing a grand job!

16. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Don't forget to update the first post. A few friends of mine are having trouble finding the latest version when they don't follow the thread.

It's really coming together, and it's a relief coming back here after a few hours of Assetto Corsa and have proper force feedback again! :)

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Downloaded the latest version (v0.97n) and will test later.

Thanks pleclair. :)

18. lbird

lbird Registered

Same here, will try it out soon. And by the way, pleclair, are you collaborating with mianiak on that little track extension to the south? That extension is certainly the icing on the nürburg cake... :D

19. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, things are coming along faster than I thought. I went to bed quite late last night, and managed to quadrify the whole roads, curbs, and road edges.

Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as selecting all and quadrify all. This would do a very bad job. I tried to fix what it did on my first try, but didn't do a perfect job.

Now, before even quadrifying, I was inspecting carefully the edges it would remove, and modify the selection as needed. So these parts are pretty clean now. They had to. Here's why...

By testing on a small piece of terrain, I selected only the road surface, and if the road edges are perfectly quadrified, then I can mesh smooth the road, and by assigning a different smoothing groups for the roads, curbs, and terrain, and also selecting the option to smooth by material, I get a very nice smoothed road surface, and guess what, everything is smooth, no cracks. :)

But to do this, I had to attach everything into one object. So now the fun part will be splitting everything again. What I might do is break up chunks, including everything, terrain, roads, curbs, and load those chunks into 3dsimed, and then have it split into material.... so I'll have an object per material, per chunk... I dunno if that will work as good as I think it will.. but certainly worth a shot.

Otherwise, splitting it all in max will still be light years faster than fixing cracks!

So things are looking good! I can say almost for sure to be able to get it back up before christmas, near the level tourist was... I doubt i'll be swapping much texture on the gp side in the first release... but the tourist part should be looking as 0.97n or better :)

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I was exchanging PMs with him a few weeks ago, and have written to him yesterday or the day before, and waiting an answer. Although it wasn't for this reason. I thought he will certainly propose it if he's interested. I could understand he may want to keep it separate, since he must have work a good deal on it too.