[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Very nice objects optimisations with still a good framerate, you've made a great job again !
    I have a constant 55 fps in 3D with all max except road reflection to low.
    The track looks really nice and it's a real pleasure to drive in early morning hours :).
    Thank you

2. Mr.Thor

Mr.Thor Registered

3. Nor

Nor Registered

Thanks pleclair,

performance of the track got big boost. about 30% better Performance and smooth all over the track, no stuttering at certain areas, good job.

Some changes I must criticise:

1) The horizon mes is a way to high and to close to the track on some areas, like BrĂ¼nnchen and the GP-Track (see screenshot, some parts of the track environment mesh are cut by the horizon mesh).
    View attachment 10846

2) Still hudge moire effect on guidrails, would be nice if you could tryTosh's normal map. Btw. I don't think that the new guiderails look better than original ones.

Some extra whishes from my side for a nice look.

3) The envoronmental geometry textures should be adapted to other colours. This is my fault, because I simply took a screenshot from googleearth to map on the environment hills (back in rf-nordschleife.de times), should also be a higher-res texture, as these parts are often visible
    View attachment 10849

4) Could you remap this tree @Karussell with a nice texture
    View attachment 10851

5) When you apporoach the Karussell, you can see big trees on the left about 20-25m before you enter the concrete, would be nice to see them also in game.
    View attachment 10852

[​IMG]

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

That's nice to hear! I was hoping that you guys saw the kind of performance increase I saw myself. I get much better performance at 1920x1080, than I did at 1400x900 on my 19in.

The morning is also my favorite time! Yesterday while I was running AIs to build up rubber profiles, I happen to see something really amazing. I'm not yet sure what time it was, since I usually start my sessions at 4am and it's brighter than what I saw. So maybe in between 3am and 4am I dunno, but the view on the dotthinger hohe was breathtaking. I wanted to check out the time it was, but I couldn't find out how. Everything was rather dark, and the sky was getting brighter, with clouds and the mountains in the backgrounds... looked amazing!

It's really worth to go out for a drive at different hours, and time acceleration helps a lot to get to see a wide range of lighting scenarios!

Thanks, I will be running with mirrors on and see what I can find. I hope I won't have to bump up the LODs to a point performance will decrease.

Thanks. Again, happy that you also see a good performance increase.

1) Regarding the background, I will try to get some parts to lower, I agree it is high at some places.

2) As for the normal maps of the guardrails, I will certainly give them a try.

3) I have thought of something for these areas. They will get better, no worry ;)

4) Sure. When I picked my trees, I didn't looked for the real track, it would have taken too long. Since I noticed after watching a video of nord 2.2a in rf1 vs real life nord, and noticed the trees and stuff were placed to match loosely what is in real life. So I picked similar tree. The tree you see there was some sort of evergreen like this, with the bottom part missing, as if choked by vegetation around. So I picked something similar.

5) The large trees are already there. Maybe they aren't as big, and maybe I could bump up their sizes a little, but I believe they are there, around this very location. Probably not on bullseye, but close to.

EDIT: And thanks for the suggestions!

5. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

The track is very stunning:) I can now play with full circuit and texture details...Wow, looks
    really good! also the track drives better for me, I'm getting much better grip levels.

May I ask when the GP circuit is being added? and also the orange coarse workers and fans? they add so much
    life around this long circuit.

Awesome work,

Kind regards,

Sean

6. Miller

Miller Registered

Hi pleclair,

I am a newbie, when it comes to RF2.
    This is an awesome track to drive. I love it. Thanks! Absolutely great job from You!

Thanks and Best Regards,
    miller

7. tking

tking Registered

Amazing work pleclair! Seems to be a good performance increase on my machine and looks great! I hope you can keep performance this good with any future additions. Thank you!Thank you! Thank you!
    ( A little off topic; but, what was the difference in v2.21 and v2.2a in rFactor? Which did you start with?)

8. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Great to hear that you know of the issue. Until a solution is found, I will continue to tell my brain that the black lines are just telegraph cables. :)

9. hoover

hoover Registered

I've just downloaded version "l" to the btsync share, it's going out to the seeds at 5mb/sec and should be available shortly. Uwe

10. woochoo

woochoo Registered

For the black line at the top of the trees, try loading the UV unwrap modifier on the objects and you should get good control over the texture/object mapping.The uvw xform modifier is also a really quick way to let the Y-tiling out just a little bit. Maybe to 0.98 or 0.97 or something.

Assuming the problem is the usual one of the bottom of the tree's trunk wrapping around to the top while showing lower mip levels, a quick tweak or two to the mapping should fix it up. Another, but worse/hack solution is to paint another few rows of black into the bottom of the tree texture's alpha channel in photoshop, but it's a wasteful method. Change the mapping in max instead :) It's just a matter of leaving margin for the lower-res mipmaps.

edit: Also, THANKS so much for the work you're throwing into this. I look forward to trying the new version with the smaller HAT objects :)

11. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Hi pleclair,

I have just tried the new version (trouble with Mega) and I'm speechless. Great improvement in all areas! :D Unbelievable what you have archived so far. The track runs now at 100+ frames per second with a single car on track. Well done!

A quick tip for all who don't like the moire pattern on the guardrails.

Press "Alt + M key". This disables "Mip LOD Bias". You will loose some texture detail but it will look much smoother.

12. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

can anybody please upload it somewhere else? i cant DL from mega, and BT sync is idle

13. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Thank you

14. Great track and you guys have put some top work into this.

Its not a complaint just an observation....

I was running a spark f2 this morning on version "L" I did notice that the rear view was missing the road from time to time, also when travelling down some of the steep descends, I noticed the shadow of the car, looked like it was flying as there was no road displayed as a shadow.

Other then that....

I raise my hat and thank you for your work.

Cheers Adrian

"Actually! scrap that I just ran some laps in the Howston G4 with 12 AI's and everything was fine, must be something in the sparks mod then or something else"

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Top job once again Pleclair :)

I don't exactly recall all previous tree-positioning's but it sure felt like allot where moved/updated. Especially some trees hanging over the track more (or now more visibly) are a great addition, much more tunnel-vision is created that way and i'm not sure how to explain this but because of that it feels much more 'one' when driving through those sections.
    The whole thing is so alive and vibrant :)

Guardrails look frigging awesome man, if you keep this up pretty soon I wont be lapping the Ring anymore but just stopping regularly and enjoying the scenery (with Barry Manilow in the background or something) :p

Happy to report the black patches I reported earlier where grass/sand textures seemed to be missing are now fixed again.

Shiny cracks on track edge are still there but you knew that already.

All in all i'm amazed how you are able to improve so much with each new update.
    On the other hand it seems a given considering your determination, clearly the routines and skills are improving as time go's by. Keep it up please :)

16. hoover

hoover Registered

All should be well now, there was some confusion on the seeders about which version to sync ;)

Uwe

EDIT: @Mike: Try re-adding the folder, this usually works (there were some changes / hiccups in the network recently I think)

17. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Thx, i already DLed it from mediafire

18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

@Mega experts, what have they done to it? It used to ask you where to save the file. Now it just puts it somewhere. Took 15 minutes to figure out that it put it on my desktop. Then I couldn't move it. Win 7 kept telling me to make sure the file was there.
    Spent quite a while trying to move it, just gave up and got the mediafire link.

My beloved Mega, screwed.

19. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

It is to make sure that you dont leave the website as soon as you click "save" (why is this beneficial for them i dunno)
    But it doesnt work right, its shame, because its one of few where when it does work, it downloades in full speed of my internet

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Weird, works the same for me, can save anywhere.