[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Well if i am honest i am surprised that this thing of donation(monitor) wasn't happened earlier(knowing his situation and all other facts). With all due respect to current donator which was enough "brave" to do that. I don't believe he is the only one here(which have a lot of pleasure from this project), that have amount of money, that can afford that, that can afford a lot more than that actually. Anyway thnx to him, pleclair will now have better environment to work and we all getting bonuses from this. Thnx to all who contributed in any way to this project.

2. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

"But somehow, I still feel this monitor is more than I deserved." Really? Don't feel that way, you really have no reason to feel that way. Name you, way you don't deserved and i will tel you back 10 reasons way you DESERVED :) You really can't win here :)

P.s.: Actually i think Tosch deserve something to :)

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I am very happy with my situation and the fact that pleclair gets the appreciation he deserves. It's just great to be part of a community that makes such projects possible. :D

4. bwana

bwana Registered

+1, truly deserved

5. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

I've a problem with full ki grid. The track load correctly with 15 ki's, when i choose more i get a rF2 blackscreen (while the track is loading). Any solution to fix it? I can't say if it's a "k" problem (don't test this config in the prevous versions)

Any news about the timing ?(start laptiming in the pit out lap)

6. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

Amazing work pleclair...I'm sure that com8 would love this:)

I've not played much of this track until I tested this new version and now I can't stop, it looks fantastic...The trees are looking
    much better than I expected.

Thanks a lot:)

Sean

7. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Congrats pleclair on the new monitor. Well deserved for all the work you've put into this so far.

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks guys! This really makes me feel better about it.

I'm really satisfied with it so far. I think it's the first LCD I see that have such a good color representation all across the screen. All my previous LCDs were having some weaker corners, and the black and white weren't the same all across screen. Another thing that struck me was how the colors and brightness stays the same as you get to the side!

The last monitor I bought was my 24in about 5 years ago or so, and was a very good one at the time, probably about the same range as this one today, a samsung 2493hm, but still, it is miles away from this one now. Another nice thing, it generates very little heat, almost like none. My previous one used to heat the small room I'm in! In fact, with my previous monitor+computer running all the time, I don't need to heat the room I'm in directly. Now, maybe I will have to :)

I'm almost done optimizing mats. Well, at least, the major ones, the grasses.

And the performance impact is beyond major actually. It is like 10x better than I would have thought. I was able to run a full grid of 29 ai + me, and without lowering anything, with 16x AA, on my modest computer. It's sure no slouch, but compared to what a gaming pc is nowaday, it is not that good. FPS with all cars on the grid (I did a race to have them all, instead of just practice) was in between 30-40fps at the start, but I didn't run further, since it was already a lot more than I expected.

Previously, I was able to run with 14 AI, maybe a little more with some cars. Now, I tried with the corvette, which is one of the heavier cars from ISI.

What I did was merge all the scenery together, then I swapped all the mats that used the same grass texture to a single mat, in some cases a piece of the same grass was used in as much as 3 other mats. In most cases, they had at least two grasses mats using the same texture.

But I also redid the mapping on most grasses as well. The grass is now appearing a tiny bit smaller, I thought it was a bit too big, and also appearing uniform and not messed up anymore, with different sizes in some places.

Since the grasses I made are tileable in all directions, I selected all the same grass on the merged scenery, and applied a UVW Unwrap, then did a planar map, aligned to z, then increased the size until I had about the size of grass I wanted, and did this for grvl_dirt, gras and hillside textures (which covers about 98-99% of all the grasses).

The result is quickly noticeable while driving around. The grass is smooth, and looks really good now.

Then, I splitted the merged terrain into small pieces, still around 1k or so per piece. Since the track start have an increased geometry, the parts are smaller, and when we get to the parts not done yet, they are larger in size. The result is constant FPS thru the whole track. I had no major dip in FPS. With vsync on, I was most of time capped at 60, with small dip around 55-56. Never got close to 10 fps drop.

So I guess that next release should be enjoyable for many more person now!

Oh, and all this performance increase, and we now have double sided mats on all trees and treelines. So shadows are happening even when the trees aren't facing the sun now :) Lots more shadows around! I thought I should give it a try, since it was something bugging me. The trees that weren't facing the sun had no shadows...

I still got a few LODs to sort, and I'll run a few laps to try to spot any thing wrong, but the changes are heavy in the upcoming updates. When I splitted the objects back, the parts close to road was easy, they were named like roadxxxx.gmt... so I kept this scheme, but the parts that I called surroundings, further away from the track, and before the far scenery, were named after the corners they are in real life in german. So I had no way of remembering those, and use the same name. So I named them roadxxxx, following were I left of with the parts closer to track. So I updated the .scn file and double and triple checked with 3dsimed to make sure I had no duplicate terrain parts, and found a few, and removed it.

So, upon next release, the most important thing you could look for, is things popping in and out, as well as grasses that I may have changed to another grass by mistake, or that isnt properly sized, compared to the same grass at another location. Objects that I might have removed from the scn file by mistake. Things unusual.

And I got a little surprise for you too :) I don't like speaking of things before they happen, so I won't say more than this, but I'll keep you updated on this in the coming days/weeks ;) This could have a major impact on the track :) As much I can say!

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Read my latest post :) You should be pleased to hear what it says ;)

10. Traveller

Traveller Member

I've got a late start in this, but I downloaded and ran the 0.97k. Very nice indeed. One thing I found is a gap in the mesh between the road and the grass on the right hand side of the road at and near "Schwalbenschanz".

11. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yeah I know, this has been explained many times already. But to make it short, they are there because I mesh smoothed the road, and not the scenery. I had started to fix the crack, but after a month or so on it, I felt I should work on the textures before, since I had never made on at that point, and knew I would need to make some. And also because it would improve the track look much quicker and better than fixing crack at this point in time.

They will be taken care of later, since they are almost invisible while driving. Mostly showing in replays and while taking screens. But you can often find an angle to take a screen without it showing ;)

I am also smoothing out corners as I fix the cracks as well. You can see it for about the first 2.5-3km of the track. All cracks should be fixed, and corners smoothed out.

EDIT: And welcome to this thread too :)

12. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Thank you very much for everything you're doing, I think everything has been said. I love reading your positive post, every time you discover something you have me in suspense until the next update.
    I think it's not healthy :p This sense of community it is.

Sorry if my English not express what I think :) and making the eternal question: :eek:

When do you think we can enjoy the performance increase you speak of?

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I'm trying my best to release something tonight ;) In the worst case, it will be early next week.

And thanks for your comments. I really do appreciate all of them! And I could understand you just fine! My english isn't perfect either, my native language is french.

14. tking

tking Registered

pleclair, looks like you got a well deserved ata boy for your hard work. anonymous also deserves a big ATA BOY!
    Keep up the good work. (I hope you're having fun with this track. I sure am.)

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks!

Actually I am having fun doing this! I must agree that everyone's support in this thread is like jet fuel for me. I wake up in the morning, and one of the first thing I think of, is where I left off last night, and I'm ready to pick up and go back at it.

When I'm having more troubles and feeling a little more down, often times, reading the comments here cheers me up and motivate me to not give up. I think I have thought about giving up about 2-3 times. Mostly when I was working on the grasses and trees and had a hard time getting them to look right.

The community we have with rFactor 2 is awesome. And I've come to like ISI to a point where I don't mind doing this. The base they built is so awesome that they deserve to get some help in areas they cannot fulfil.

So every little comments, donations and cheers are a huge part of why this thing have come this far, and still going!

EDIT: I would also really hate seeing ISI's gem get overshadowed by some other products by companies with deeper pockets. It happens too often times. They had a head start with rF2 in the next gen sim area, and it would be nice to see them coming on top.

16. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Really, only word that comes to mind from the many French classes I took in high school is "fromage". lol
    My big-breasted , cleavage showing teacher used to..... uh nevermind.

17. lbird

lbird Registered

While i totally agree that the Nordschleife for racetracks is the equivalent of a big breasted french teacher with a lot of cleavage showing in school for a 12 year old, we digress a little bit :eek:

18. hoover

hoover Registered

Hi pleclair,

as you asked for feedback on things popping in an out of view, I noticed the "tower" popping into view when entering Hatzenbach (the tight left hander after the chicane at the end of Antoniusbuche). I'll take a closer look and provide some screenshots hopefully tonight.

Cheers, Uwe

19. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Just sent a token amount to show my appreciation of your hard work. Keep at it!

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Morning Guys!

I was hoping to send this yesterday, but I started the upload at 3am. So there was no way I could stay awake until upload was done!

So here is v0.97l download link:

https://mega.co.nz/#!IVZhkJbJ!WcrapVAY3cngcn4Lg54rQgoAD-EMkBeojhWys-HHWW0

So like I said, the changes are rather heavy! @Hoover, I was meaning pop-in/out in this current release, as all LODs have been changed. So maybe that tower isnt popping in no more, and maybe something else is now. Let me know if you notice it still popping, and/or something else.

I have tried to look real carefully, but as you probably know, my observation skill can be limited sometimes :) But I had to remake the rubber presets since the racesurface objects have changed, and the previous presets no longer worked. So I watched quite a few laps, at increase speed, but still. And I didn't noticed anything odd missing/popping. Well I did, but fixed what I saw.

Visually, aside from the grasses looking better all around, and with the tiling a little tighter, it also appears a tad darker as well. Haven't touched the texture. Oh, well, the trees alone should be enough of a change, visually! I repositioned alot of them, removed lots of pesky treelines close to track, or altered them. I also made all (I hope) trees levelled. If you spot any trees too far in the ground, or floating, let me know. There is an area in particular that will be striking. The last two corners, before entering the main straight, the trees were almost half way in. They are now out! And I also took those that were hidden behind tree walls, and put them in front, all around track.

Another thing, I modified the skybox. Made it appears a little more, and made the ring angled (geometry) as well. So the bottom ring is smaller than the top ring.

I also reduced the bump amplification on the concrete extensions. I found myself always dodging them because I had a conscience for my wheel, so I thought they could be reduced a tad! And I further reduced dust output a bit.

So in this version, look for trees that floats or too deep into the ground, or trees that are appearing too thin. I tried to spot them all, and resize them, but it is possible I missed a few. Anything popping out. Every LODs have been optimized now. So terrain, objects, signs, road, everything is subject to new pop-in/out...

Like I said yesterday, I also made the trees and treelines double sided mats, so expect to see a bit more shadows around ;)

The rubber was made with a grid of 30 modern F1s, using super soft tires! I haven't made wet profile(s), since I didn't heard about that profile in the last update, but if it's something that some people liked, I could make a slightly wet, wet, and drying profile for the next update. Just let me know.