[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Sentry and Jim, thanks a lot! i really had to set curcuit detail to high!
    What a track-car combo the Nordschleife and the Howston G4 are! AWESOME! :cool:
    Just had my first evening of sim racing for nearly two months, and managing to complete a lap at the limit gave me massive goosebumps...even though i barely managed to stay under 7:50 :p
    It makes me remember my first sim-racing experience, trying to keep the Ruf-Yellowbird under control around this track in GranTurismo5 :eek:
    Thanks a lot preclair!

2. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

In the unstable build, (now build 342 which is the same as the unstable), you can't tell the difference between tire smoke and dust. They have same color. In build 300 the dust was tan or light brown.

It's not good for both to be same color.
    The only reason I mention it here is because I think this track is the only one with an effort of showing dust.

3. rer8

rer8 Registered

Oh yeah, it is Christmas in October... ISI's new build and your fantastic Ring tourist d. Thank you very much... too tired right now but will definitely be running many laps on the track... thank you very much.

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

The track got heavy as of 0.97. On the first loading, it will stays at 3/4 or so for a while, just let it go, and wait, it should eventually start moving again until completion.

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Little update on the trees! I made good progress today. All the leaf trees are now redone. With the special bump map in action. It looks terrific!

Its almost a brand new track, no kidding. As of 0.97d, I always had a focus on the grass, which seemed the strongest point of the track. It looked better than the trees. Now all I can do is focus on the trees :)

Thanks Tosch for the tip, dunno if you thought about this yourself but its genius!

I had a little question about this, Tosch. For the trees that are 1024x2048, so taller than wide, I stretched the sphere to match the tree size, and made it oval. It works, but I wanted to know if you did this too? Or simply resize the sphere big enough to enclose the whole tree, while staying a sphere?

As for the evergreens, what should I do? As I'm going to start them right now, I'll do the same thing and stretch the sphere, but I wondered if you had the normal map of a cone, from side view? This would be even better, no? I searched for such a normal map, and all I can find is some top view normal map of a cone. Not very helpful.

I'll be back when the evergreen's are done as well :) Stay tuned!

6. Quartza

Quartza Registered

pleclair, please redo the dust settings for the next one. With build 342s new particle system its way too much, comes off as looking like tire smoke

7. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I always use free transform to stay as close as possible on the edges of the texture (fine detail normal map). For some trees I create a new layer (overlay) and do some freehand painting (with blue and pink, color picked from the sphere normal) to enhance some parts. For trunks you can use the normal map of a pipe. It is also possible to create normal maps of the same texture with different tools (or different settings) and put them together layer by layer.

For the evergreens a cone normal map would be perfect. I'm trying to find something.

8. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Why don't you render them in 3ds max yourself!?

You could create a very basic shape to represent the trees rough form and render it as normal map.

9. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

Has anybody test the 0.97d @ rF² Build 342?

10. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

It won't load for me. It gets about 1/3 and stays there. I press enter to see if that'll jog it but it just crashes back to desktop. No error or anything as if I just abruptly quit.

11. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Hi peclair. First of all awesome work you´ve done here *.* We @IsR really enjoy it!!

The car reflection on your track is a bit weired. I have some screens here (which look absolutely fantastic :)) compared to Silverstone. On Silverstone, my new skin looks more darker and realistic but on your Nordschleife it is way more pale and lighter. But have a look yourself. I hope you see what I mean ;) Both track were at same time of day.

View attachment 10493 View attachment 10494 View attachment 10495 View attachment 10496

BTW this is 0.97d @b342 all maxed out with 4xSSAA ;)

12. Alexims

Alexims Registered

So this might be the reason I feel the cars to slide too much in some parts of the track.
    Do you think that maybe there are track sections that have both low grip levels
    (old asphalt + dusty) at the same time and this is why would be so slippery?.
    In that case, could be possible to do not coincide both grip levels together?.
    At least in those tricky track sections, in where we have to be extremely delicate
    and slow (and not just with the throttle).

Yes, the first to mention it here. I was also the first in other sim-forums to get great
    ideas and solutions to help simracers to configure their games and their cars setups.
    Being the first is not always something bad, and doesn't necessarily mean that we are wrong.

I don't know why in some tracks we don't see the 'Best lap' of the transparent trainer,
    which is usually the most interesting lap to improve our setups and lap times, really.
    Same with the car shadow under the transparent trainer, that it doesn't appear.

Thank you for you reply, for your time and for your great job and amazing graphic results.
    Tested the v97d on Build 300.

13. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Is the dust staying? Never seen dust at the ring before and if so it should dissipate after a few laps. Not ideal for close racing, little distracting.

Overall you did wonders with this track, thanks for the hard work!

14. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Same time of day don't mean same light and color on both locations IMHO, Ring and Silverstone. I can see that even just looking little thumbnail from your post on the sky color. I think ISI managed geographically the time of day AFAIK. Or did I dream about it? ;) possibly, I'm tired ;)

15. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Well, the whole scenery in Silverstone looks lot more bright than Nordschleife. Logically the refelctions have to be other way around I think. Or am I completely false??!

16. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

You're right, but I think the camera angle and where the Sun is play a rule here too. In Ring you don't have the sun at the same place than at Silverstone, as shadows goes the other way. To be accurate I think you need to have the same exact shadow on both screenshot (so you need to turn the camera to have shadow the same way, E.g. botton right for example). Not sure I'm clear. Perhaps we have another track geographically near the Ring to compare time of day too? I agree differences I can see in your screenshot for the (nice) skin is kind of huge...

17. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

The Nordschleife is the only track where I get such bright reflections. Others are way darker, like Silverstone. It doesnt matter from which side I look at the car, its always the same color. Really dont know wether its realistic or some optimizations have to be done to reflections :p But its a small issue ;)

18. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

rF2 CTD when loading this track with MAX track details. I lowered it to HIGH and now it works. Known problem?

19. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I just wondered how the tree textures will look like on a properly setup billboard. I resized all textures to 1024x1024, removed the specular reflections from the base texture, created a new normal map and a specular map and dropped everything in my Essington devmode folder. Here is the result.

[​IMG]

20. Tortue G

Tortue G Registered

These trees are very nice!