[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. raekwon

raekwon Registered

for job i make architectural renders... interior end exterior. sometimes i also reproduced some roads... and asphalt. i should have some nice maps (diffuse, reflection, normal or bump) i use 3dsmax +vray.
    if this could help... just give me an email and i send you the best i got!

they are definitely better then the one from Mores you posted up here

2. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Oh, that's nice. I see that I'm not too far off, with the textures I have. The color is lighter than I expected to be, so what I currently have is about the same, maybe a tad lighter.

The grain looks rather coarse to me. Coarser than you'd expect to find on a typical race track. Looks closer to what you'd find on some streets.

At this point, it's a matter of opinion I think. Some will love it, some won't. To me, if you look at screenshot 594 I believe, or the one we see the track bumper cam, and the one from Mores, its about the same.

Sure :) I had a few nice ones, and was going to send them, when only I noticed it didnt had the new tarmac on them. They were made when I did the bushes test.

Thanks!!

The thing is, I cannot really replace the original diffuse maps. Since there is a bunch of them, all different. Depicting different tarmac ages, and roughness. The size of them is fine being 1024x2048 (the texture is split in half, covering half of the road, so in reality its like 2048x2048).

I'm not at a point where I could take some different asphalt texture, and add the needed details... I believe the diffuse maps we have are based on real pictures of the track, or I could be wrong.

So our best bet is with the detail/bump/spec maps... that can really make the existent diffuse stand out.

But again, vray is totally different than gmotormaterial materials... so the tarmac you have that looks good in vray might not necessarily look good in rf2.

I started to follow the seamless texture course for games I downloaded, and made my first seamless texture with it, a grass one! Looking good in photoshop, I was actually exporting the files when I did a jump here, was waiting for the export to finish... created it at 4096.

If you wanna send me the tarmac stuff you have, I could take a look at it and give it a try. I also got quite a bit on my own as well, will be having a shot at making them myself, since I could probably do it now. On my first try, it was seamless, but there was noticeable repeating pattern.

My grass doesnt seems to have such pattern now. Or probably really small, cause in photoshop at 25% in pattern size, it looked good.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

When are we going to get to see your advancements!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ;)

4. Dale B

Dale B Registered

Is anyone having trouble running the 79 mod here? I can run it at every other track, I load it up for this track and the car I pick just seems to be in slow motion, very strange behavior. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to run. If I load just my car it will work just fine, load the ai in and it crops up again, the only mod I really have any trouble with too.

By the way, just an awesome job on this track, thanks so much for all your effort!

5. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

I like this mod but i think he is causing a lot of crashes. I had this you are talking at mores. Arnao said to set below 10 ai because he has experimented this on old pc but i did not try yet. Plus it seems he has conflicts even on some specific files for just being on packages folder.
    You should look at gp79 thread

6. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I was checking out this problem of GP79 mod and Nordschleife. I run with 15 ai and have no problem. I have had no slo mo stuff since I deleted DTM tracks. I know I tend to harp on this at different tracks, but its true for me. No DTM tracks - no slo mo. Could be there are some other tracks that may cause the problem.

I am running an i7 3770 and 2 gigabyte GeForce 650 TI, that could be part of it maybe.

7. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Ok :)

Quick update! Since I've mentioned earlier that I've started fiddling with the grass texture, I just made up a very nice one for the most common grass there is in Nords, which basically covers all the far scenery, but sometimes coming close to track, like on the main stretch.

Turns out my first try earlier was no good. Well it was seamless, and with no pattern visible, but it was so without a pattern that from not so far away, it would almost look like a plain color.

So I played some more and some more, and I got something really solid now. :)

No visible pattern, but the grass have more contrast than before, more shading to it. It is perfectly seamless as well. Managed to get a pretty nice tint to it too. Looks highly natural to me.

I started noticing a little more the subtleties of real life lighting, and turns out grass at noon become highly reflective and dark grass will turns very bright.

Here is some screenshots taken at 8pm ish (I just love morning and evening lighting :p)

View attachment 10181

View attachment 10182

View attachment 10183

View attachment 10184 (Close Up grass, good lighting)

View attachment 10185 (Close Up grass, partly shadowed)

And to please those asking me for daytime screenshots, here are a few taken at 2pm :p

View attachment 10186

View attachment 10187

View attachment 10188

View attachment 10189

The grass texture is 4096x4096, so it is a massive improvement over the 1024x512 that was in place for this mat before.

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Don't forget that those HDR's are always from the default ISI profile. This is my base target. If it looks good with this, Tosch should be able to do something out of this world.

First HDR I've seen from him for Nords, and I was like, is this really the same track? :) It looked totally different... but I was used to non-hdr at the time. Now starting to like HDR :p You converted me Tosch :)

And it was all original textures!

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

10. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Fantastic job you're doing pleclair. Great stuff indeed. I have small suggestions for you. Things you can do WAAAAY down the line after everything else.
    One thing I notice what gives some tracks that "pop" while others lack is too clean of a look, also sharp and distinct areas where objects join.

Notice these two areas in the pic:

[​IMG]

Where the curb intersects with the ground is very distinct and obvious. There needs to be some "grime" along the edge where the curb and the ground meet.

I couldn't find a great example but this is pretty good. See there's like a break between the ground and the curb?

[​IMG]

I don't mean just for curbs but for buildings, structures, whatever intersects with the ground

11. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Oh yeah :) I'm totally aware of this, well as far as the area you pointed out in the screenshot.

I actually even tried to make a better texture, but the way the original is made doesnt leave much space for something like you mention. The side are mapped to stretch 1px line of the sides of the texture.

So this would mean redoing a whole new texture and mapping. I'll play some more later on with this, or maybe someone could help out, at least make a proper uv layout for this part.

But I haven't thought on the grime, I got a few decals textures now, I'll see if I can find something that would improve the look.

I'd like to replace all textures I can find a better and similar replacement for. minimum resolution I look for is 1024, but highly prefer 2048. Some might be avail in 4096 too.

But I agree, the paddock would look a lot better if these isles were improved.

Still so much to do... :)

EDIT: Btw the curbs already have some grime on the base of the texture. In some place, the uvs are a bit screwed, so it might not show everywhere, but its there. You can see it on the grab_627 I last sent, in the rain. It's small tho, a little dark line at the base of the curb.

12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Ok, going off to sleep now :)

Making textures is kinda nice after a while!

My next target was the hillside grass, that was longer and wilder. Making appearance as the name implies, on the side of the many hills.

Like here:

View attachment 10195

13. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

This looks really good mate!

14. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hi Pleclair!

Many thanks for your updates and progress report. I follow this thread since it started.
    Very interesting for a noob like me. Can't imagine how much work and time you spend.
    It's hard to learn this long track to drive proberly but I believe that's nothing compared to rebuild and design the whole track :p

thx alex

15. raekwon

raekwon Registered

ok pleclair... got it. i imagined that would be hard to change all the diffuse map... with all written in the asphalt.
    and i dont know how a gmotormaterial works so i cant help you...

for the screens i see i would work in trees... especially in the background.
    and the other ones need a more random position and scaling to me...

good job!!

16. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

GREAT! I'm glad you're getting "grimy". lol It's good to know you're on the case, and giving out some non-hdr love too ;).

17. Dale B

Dale B Registered

Took your advice and Jim Carrel's, rechecked my packages folder and found 1 old 79 file and two DTM tracks, uninstalled and deleted them and went to the track, still had the same problem, had 20 ai selected cut it down to 10 and away I went, worked perfectly. I'll try and tweak it to see how many ai I can run with. I have an i7 3770 and a GForce 660 Ti so that shouldn't be the issue, but it's great, I can run it now in the 79's, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

18. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

I have this with some mods, and only at nords. I think it's to do with mod/track poly counts etc so certain high poly mods eat up more resource with such a huge circuit

19. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

I've encountered same issue with this mod on other tracks too. The only thing I noticed is, when you hit ctrl + c, you can see CPU load at max (purple bar is full from left to right)...

20. jrg_carrion94

jrg_carrion94 Registered

any news placlair? ;)