[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

I'm sorry if I was rude in my previous comment Pleclair, the track is really looking better and better.

Can I just make a comment about the track shadows, that seem to come from the ASPHALT_NORM texture.

screenshot
    View attachment 10048
    I made a new norm with crazybump that's about 4 times the scale and this is how it looks.
    View attachment 10049

If I can help I will.

kind regards,

Sean

2. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

The road use RealRoad shader?? i think something is wrong..

What realRoad shader you use? the old or new one (Silverstone)

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hello Sean,

I already took notice of this! This is what I mentioned in my previous post, about the uvw channels problems.

Actually, the uvw channels for channel 2 and 3 were 4 times bigger than channel 1. So this is why every bumps/spec weren't right.

I fixed this by copying the uvw channel 1 to channel 2 and 3.

Thanks for the comment btw! If you have any other tips, let me know!

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yes I do, been using real road since the very first version actually!

I'm using the old one. What's the difference? If I remember correctly, I tried it when I first started, but it made the pavement look darker, think its why I reverted to the old one.

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Some more sweet HDR screenshots for you to enjoy!

Taken right before night time, when sun is really low, showing all the details.

View attachment 10051

View attachment 10052

View attachment 10053

I have baked occlusions in the grasses, guardrails, curbs, and man it looks neat! The guard rails, as you can see in the first screenshot, are now very decent for the resolution they are!

CrazyBump did a wonderful job with this track!

I actually sent the developer an email to ask for a favor. I'd like him to give me a license, since I cannot purchase at this time, and in return I'll advertise the track looks like it does mostly because of crazybump. Would even go to putting a nice little logo in the loading screen saying bumps made with CrazyBump or something.

I got 17 days left. It should be plenty to get the track to a really sweet level, but I'd like to improve further by playing some more with it, and as I'll find higher resolution textures later on, I'll need to redo the bumps made with it.

The nVidia plugin is really no good when you have used crazybump, to be honest. I was using it prior to using crazybump, and you can clearly see the difference with the bump/spec I made for the guardrails (those you have in 0.95-6), and those I have now.

I have wrote him yesterday, still waiting an answer. Who knows... he might be willing to! :)

Plus it makes the really useful occlusions maps for baking into textures.

Coming along nicely! Think I might just plug in my wheel for the first time since I unplugged it, and run a few laps tonight :)

6. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

7. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

Thank you, Plecair, for putting the work into this track. Donation sent :) I vote for Le Mans next ;)

8. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

YOU ARE AWESOME! Those trees are looking so damn good now... The colors of the textures are vastly improved too. Ill say it again, we really couldn't have hoped for a better person to take on this track. Keep it up its amazing work you've done.

9. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

great screenshots, amzing

v 1.0?

10. Hazi

Hazi Registered

From the Wiki changed in July 13:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/13211-rF2-Changes-to-Real-Road-Shader

rF2 - Changes to Real Road Shader

The "Road Shader Two Diffuse Maps" shader has a few drawbacks in terms of looks and flexibility. The new “Real Road Shader” builds upon that base, with a few modifications and enhancements:

The Normal map stage now has its own set of mapping coordinates. This allows it to be linked to either the diffuse or the detail map channel (typically channels 1 and 2).
    The RaceGroove stage works a bit differently now: both the RGB and Alpha portions no longer mask (i.e. hide) the underlying road detail maps (the tarmac grain and its spec map), in order to keep the overall texture resolution of the road as a texture entity as high as possible. The RGB part is used in a multiplicative blend onto the two diffuse maps (T1 and T2); the alpha channel still contains the spec map and is ADDED to the existing detail spec maps. Please note that total specularity is clamped, so having a very white spec map means there is little headroom for the groove spec to show up.
    In the past, the wet mask was stored in the T1 diffuse alpha (used inverted), which was also used as the spec mask. This was a considerable flexibility handicap and either the reflections or the spec had to be sacrificed to some extent. Repetitive tiling patterns and potential seams only added to the diffuse alpha nightmare; not to mention the seams where two or more road sections meet. Some of that has been changed. Actually, the spec masked is still stored in the diffuse alpha, as should some of the wet mask (still inverted). The contents of this alpha channel though should now be limited to unique features of the diffuse RGB: cracks in the road, patches, tar stripes, ... In other words, it contains high frequency elements that are usually also visible in the RGB.

The low frequency elements (something that looked like a subtle cloud pattern in the past that should have resembled some puddles) are now stored in the spec MAP alpha, which subsequently means it is locked to the detail map channel. This change has been made because the detail maps are typically applied uniformly and seamlessly across all road surfaces. The mapping of this cloud/puddle map inside the spec MAP alpha is currently hard-wired to a factor 20 of its base mapping channel, stretching it over an area of 20 times the asphalt grain stored in the textures' RGB channels. Typically, this would cover an area of about 1600m² or so.

So the wet mask has now been effectively split into two components: cracks (diffuse alpha) and puddles (spec alpha). The advantage is that there will no longer be any puddle seams between various road mappings and/or materials, and that the repetition in the wet is broken by the two maps (and also in the dry to some extent by the lack of the low frequency clouds in diffuse alpha).
    Fresnel Reflect should still be set up for dry conditions. The underlying Real Road technology will saturate those values as the road becomes wet. For this reason, materials that require wet reflections should have a _WET suffix in their name.

11. Ddigital

Ddigital Registered

Love all the work you're putting into the track! Thank you very very much!
    It's the sole reason I play rfactor2 every day.

12. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Oh, wow. That's looking fantastic. Seeing grass that's actually the proper color has put a big smile on my face.

13. hoover

hoover Registered

Nice touch, great work! ;)

Uwe

14. Godfather

Godfather Registered

have anyone another download links? mega beta the download is broken

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Maybe try a different browser Godfather, link is still working.

16. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

Great...Screens look very good.

Cheers,

Sean

17. Gupster

Gupster Registered

18. RGerke

RGerke Registered

When can we testing the new stuff? :)

19. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

20. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

The bump texture of the road surface looks WAY out of scale still?