[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

I did some night time running yesterday and I'm really impressed, I especially like how the headlights illuminate the trees

The depth of the tree line is so well lit, it's completely immersive.

2. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Some of the trees look too scaled up, imo. Looking at reference videos the trees around the track are very varied in size, but some of your models definetly feel "scaled up" as if they were modelled to be smaller trees then scaled up. Would be better to choose a larger tree model in those instances, as it is an immersion breaker when the scale of the trees vary like that.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

A preview of a piece of 3D guard rail would get everyone really excited ;)

It seems to be the last key element for me. Once that's fixed, all the other stuff can be done in incremental improvements whenever you or others get around to it.

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The trees look pretty cool. The colors and brightness are good adjusted from what i have seen.
    Something I have noticed while playing with hdr settings is a problem with white textures. Don't make them to bright (RGB 255,255,255 is not allowed) because these things will shine like a candle with hdr and bloom enabled. RGB values around 240 should be ok and I have some room to play with white point settings. :D

5. RGerke

RGerke Registered

Good work and right way! But, why the Collor off grass and trees are so bright?
    Its look to much "comic or toony" like. Sorry, for my direct critism.

That here is a wonderful example (grass and trees) how to brings out, good results, for the poor graphics ISI engine:

View attachment 9973

View attachment 9974

View attachment 9975

6. kill_em_all

kill_em_all Registered

Just donated, hope you have enough incentives to keep the development of this track alive for time to come!

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Do you think the colour of the grass in the last three pics looks cartoony? peclair already explained he is redoing it and provides those examples (with no HDR to confuse).

8. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

9. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Hello Pleciar,

Some time ago I started some work for a company on a scratchbuild version of the Nordschleife toerist version.
    But the project got cancelled before i really could get it off.
    Still I modeled the GreenHell cafe in 3DS, now it's just collecting dust on my HD.
    It's a much more accurate and still FPS friendly version than any available now.
    Would you be pleased if I finish the remaining part and donate it to your project?
    If so let me know.

View attachment 9982

PS.. i Also have a collection of over a 1000 photos many from the drivers view, covering almost the whole track.
    I could send you these too.

10. sg333

sg333 Registered

That looks amazing, Richard.

11. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

Wow, nice offer Richard. Sounds like some great additions to the assets on this project!

12. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Looking at the screenshots, i see the polygon count is really low..
    Would it be an idea to smooth the surface for the road/ground object by a factor of 2?
    Should give a much better/smoother ride.

13. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The road mesh is pretty good now. The "Pit area" need a bit of work...:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for the offer! I would be most interested in this!

The pit area is one of the weakest area as Tosch pointed out.

Having this building in the track would greatly enhance the look, specially since we start there!

The photos would be really useful later on when I go after matching the track look. At the moment, I'm trying to restore the track, keeping the original look of the 2.2a release, since it is already relatively accurate as far as the tree line goes... I have watched a video comparing real life to nord rf1 and its not the same, but still, its not alienating!

So when I picked up the new trees, I tried to pick similar shapes, sizes, and kind... mostly. I did add quite a few new too, but in the same kinds there was already.

Regarding the mesh, the road mesh is now up to date, the original mesh have all been fixed, quadrified, mesh smoothed and tessellated (0.96 is 2x mesh smooth, too smooth).

Leave me a PM regarding the max and photos references.

Regarding the progress, I made amazing progress in the past two days!

I decided to put the mesh work on the side, since my crazy bump trial is 22 days or so left, and I cannot buy it after its gone. So I'm trying to make the most out of it, and it can really do wonders!

I had to play quite a bit with the many settings to get something decent going on, but I'm getting the hang of it now, and things look pretty darn sweet!

I fine tuned most of the original texture so they are compliant with HDR. The grasses, roads, curbs, etc all have been edited and look really nice in HDR. Can't wait to see what Tosch will bring to the table!

So without any more wait, here are the plenty screenshots!

First, so the non-HDR loving people knows, I taken great care in making sure the track still looks good without it. Those are without. The time of the day is around 6h30pm, overcast.

View attachment 9990

View attachment 9991

View attachment 9992

View attachment 9993

View attachment 9994

View attachment 9995

And this is in HDR. I'll need to tone done some trees, I havent gone over them already. They are really looking great when the sun isnt shining straight on them. Some are a bit too bright in this condition. Will be looking at this next. The time settings are the same, 6h30-7hpm, overcast.

View attachment 9996

View attachment 9997

View attachment 9998

View attachment 9999

View attachment 10000

View attachment 10001

View attachment 10002

View attachment 10003

View attachment 10004

View attachment 10005

View attachment 10006

View attachment 10007

View attachment 10008

And here an unedited screenshot of a curb, in the same time settings, up close and personal ;)

View attachment 10009

The hard work is starting to pays off!

Hope you enjoy these! Don't look at the cracks and darkened texture at some place, they will obviously be fixed :) Most of the screenshots are taken in area not done yet.

EDIT: I havent taken care of the orangish looking wall panel... will see to it soon too :) The skybox need to be edited as well. Pretty much everything actually!

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

As soon as I got all textures edited and fixed, I'll send you a test version Tosch so you can experiment with an HDR profile and let me know if anything needs to be modified.

I'm aiming at a good look with the default ISI profile. So I think that should give you some room to play.

And yeah, I kind of noticed yesterday that the default textures where all too bright, and that was the main culprit. Also the yellowish or so other color cast into them. I neutralized the color of those edited textures too, as well as darkened them, and desaturate them a bit.

Let me know what you think of those latest screens.

16. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

Very nice screenshots.
    I like the textures.
    Could you give us a overhead screenshot, as well?!?
    I think the proportions are very wrong with some parts of the track(or maybe just the grip levels).

17. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I love the progression. Fences and Guardrails are next on the hit list I hope.

18. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Maybe track layout first, then guard rails and fences?

19. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

Yeah that would save him alot of redundant work.

20. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

That's again some really great progress. I will PM you today with a link to the photos.
    Looking forward finishing the GreenHell building for this project.