[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I think that is a problem with the car, (don't recognize it), that side glass has a track in it that allows you to slide the glass back. Where the glass is slid back and open, it allows the far scenery to be rendered, the rest of the side glass blocks the far scenery.

But of course, I may be wrong.

2. MagnusD

MagnusD Registered

I see! :)
    Anyways, huge thanks for bringing this track into rF2! This track paired with the classic F1's are an absolute blast!

3. Nor

Nor Registered

@ pleclair, be carefull not to make the track and surrounding of track to small-meshed. What you call mash in bad condition is the result of optimisation of the total namber of polygons. between 2006 and 2009 when that track was created, the Hardware had other performance than nowerdays. We allways hat to concider that, thus we used as less polygons as needed to get best result.

As example, programmers in the 80's had the goal to make best software using as less memory as possible with some kb RAM available. Nowerdays no one cares abot memory usage having >4Gb usually.

But to small meshed Nordschleife could result in huge memory usage.

Just a hint.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I think pleclair is well aware of memory usage since he was using outdated equipment when he started! He has also described his work with the number of polygons and optimizing them--without going too far to make an unrealistic or dull surface. I'm sure he'll reply with more details, but I am sure this is being carefully considered as each editing of the track occurs.

5. chappi666

chappi666 Registered

Hello Pleclair,

so, after extensive tests, the problem is only with the Camaro, in all versions of the track. In multiview with 3 screens, and on the laptop.

All other cars function properly.

Regards
    chappi

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Is it only in this track? You should report it to ISI on the Bug forum.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Why? Is this an ISI track?

8. Nor

Nor Registered

No but ISI car, and if the bug also exists on other tracks so it is a bug of car, if the bug occurs only on the nords, then it's a combination of but in track and car.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

There seem to be lots of strange reflection and transparency issues with wind screens in rF2...including still on the 60's open wheelers that were first to be released and have been subsequently updated.

I think ISI is experimenting with different wind screen approaches before standardizing and finalizing.

10. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

I encountered same trouble on 1 screen at Malaysia with the roof of main "gallery" (with last corner at the end) and only with Camaro car.
    When I looked left (in two straights), I could see the sky instead of the roof.
    That's was with my ATI Radeon 5750 now all is ok since I bought a Nvidia GTX 770...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2013
  11. Nor

Nor Registered

As RF2 supports moving objects, it should be possible make the cars movable at the B258 and the road towards the Tourist parking.
    Would be great to see those cars moving, maybe there are some available with better mesh to replace those low poly cars.

What do you think, pleclair?

12. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

The link doesn't work for me. When I start the download it stops after a short while and says something like I should make Mozilla let me download large files. Well, I never have any problems downloading stuff with Mozilla except for this site. Is there another link possibly?

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

It's just the way Mega.co.nz works. Its interesting, it seems like it quasi-downloads the file in the browser, then at the end of the "download" you get the prompt to save that file to your computer, like a usual download. I'm picking its some way that the company can protect itself, unlike their last effort which was megaupload.
    Needless to say, it is safe and it does work well on this end.

Someone may put a mirror up though.

14. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

This is what I get when downloading from the site:

View attachment 9720

It stops there at 6% and my browser doesn't give me the shown option(s).

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

[WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

Add to trusted sites before you visit?

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

That's exactly what I'm doing.

Even tho I have little experience, I still have relatively good judgement, sometimes :)

The track verge, that is right next to the track itself, have the same mesh resolution as the road, so does the curbs. the loops after that, in corner, are half resolution, so 1 edge for every two below, etc..

So, the track will indeed have quite a bit more poly than it used to, but nevertheless, with all those I removed and welded, if I don't count the road itself, I would be surprised to see it higher than when I first imported.

So performance will likely not go down that much, for this reason alone.

I got something else as well, tho :)

We all agree that the forest is what makes up Nords, right?

I was gonna save what was left of the donations for a new screen, since my 24in broke a few months ago, but I decided to purchase a very nice tree collection to use in Nords.

This vol 7 here:
    http://www.evermotion.org/files/pdf/textures4ever_vol_7.pdf

and vol 8 here:
    http://www.evermotion.org/files/pdf/textures4ever_vol_8.pdf

so all in all, that's 1500+ trees! Ok, not unique, since they have different lighting, different angles, etc... they are 3d rendered.

I went ahead and looked at the defaut trees, and was able to match similar shape and kind of trees, and the result is pretty amazing, considered I did zero edit on the texture. Well, except shrink them and fit them in the texture space.

I doubled the default resolution, so 512x512 became 1024x1024, 512x1024 -> 1024x2048, and so on.

I'll let you judge the result :)

View attachment 9721

View attachment 9722

View attachment 9723

Oh, also, from the many different tree textures there was initially, (the different .dds) the same trees were applied to a lot of different .dds. So I went ahead and chose all different trees! So now that's a real forest!

I'm sure Tosch will do wonder with this later on ;)

Regarding the mesh itself, I'm just past the gp area, past the old rumble section there. So good steady progress.

Everything around the road mesh is also a bit smoother, with the track verge and most inside fences really smooth.

Well, you have an idea by seeing the smooth road mesh, against the chunkier surroundings, now its also smooth.

Hard to say really how much time I have left, but I'm still working all day on this, just today I played with the tree I purchased this morning. I wanted to break away from the boredom of moving vertices! A some more concrete result right away, if you know what I mean!

Been what, 1 week now I'm on this, and I got very little to see live in game :p

But this initial part is quite a bit complex, and there is a lot of surroundings, and edges in all directions, a little later, it gets a bit better... there will be other more complicated areas... but I should speed it up once I get to the stretches.

If I had knew from start I was gonna do this, I would have made sure the curbs and track verge edges matches the road mesh, then I could have simply used Mario's script, but now I have a lot of moving vertices and edges around.

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I dunno about moving cars, would have to learn about this, never seen it in an rF2 track, so I'm clueless how it can be done, if possible.

But the low poly cars will eventually be all replaced :) They are so... heart breaking :p Specially at the welcoming screen when you load the track, and see them right in the small window, horrible view, and breaks the track!

18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I still have to figure something to replace those darn ugly tree lines! Will see if I can make up my own with the trees I got :)

19. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Just want to re-assure the non-believer... future of nords will *NOT* end up vaporware. I know I got you used to more frequent updates, and I wish I could do this faster, and I probably could if I was fully trained with Max, but I'm doing as I can, and will not stop until I feel I can still improve it by myself.

Then I'll pass the Max file to whoever wants to push it further.

20. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

try the link in internet explorer