[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yes, I know :)

Not all Camaros does this, but the 66 and maybe others do.

To get it out of the concrete, enable the AI, he will get the car out of there for you, then gain control again, and it will be fine!

Until I dig into the aiw, this is the solution to drive the camaros that get stuck in the concrete, unfortunately.

Oh, and I received the donation fine, thank you very much!

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I will repeat...it is wonderful to see the co-operation and collaboration on this track.

Just don't be afraid to ask first, before you spend too much time, if there are software or technical strange things happening!

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Experimenting with textures and how they react at different times of the day. The 3d tree looks kinda cool (modern art?). :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. raekwon

raekwon Registered

asphalt texture... not so good...stretched
    the most weak part of the track in my opinion are trees... really its unwatchable...

i know its not easy and you are doing an amazing job for such a track to build!!!

5. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

That is great news that Marios scripts will help you fix the cracks. When you said it would take anywhere from 1 month and up 10hrs+ per day, I was almost going to post dude it's ok we'll put up with them, save your sanity :D.

Nice pics Tosch.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Peclair, I really suggest to not use Tesselate at all when building geometry for tracks. It very much does what I showed in that image. Using meshsmooth after a tesselate smoothes the tesselated result out a bit but all this does is smooth out edges which weren't neccesary in the first place. In the world of 3d art it is very common for edges and polygons which don't actively add to a shape, silhouette or mesh, to be removed, as they are considered obsolete. The matrix was right on this one ;)

Also, for simple snapping operations, you could have used this free script which works perfectly, Ive been using it for well over a year now without any problems:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/snap

Any questions concerning 3dsmax or general modelling, don't be too proud to ask. You can't and won't know everything and learning stuff the wrong way around can only bite you in your ass really.

7. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

This script works like mine. Move vertices by distance i think my is faster because only search from source points not all objects points.

i made test with both scripts i get the same results.

8. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I haven't checked out this track since he put out the .80 version. Last night I downloaded the latest version and holy smokes!!! pleclair you've really put some work into this since that first release. It's really coming along great. I gotta tip my hat to you for sure. Great great work man. Keep it up. From what I see it only needs a little polish here and there and it's done. To be honest , at least for me, it doesn't even need anymore polish. Just the issues others have posted and it would be fine as is.

Any plans on opening up the other part of the track? Is the other part of the track even there?

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Re: [WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=566H9-LUWh0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here you can compare how it looks the track and hdr profiles with respect to other platforms. It is interesting to watch how different trees are in bith sims. In one they are more round at the tip and in the other they are sharper.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Ahhh...if only PCars had a single vehicle that felt like it was connected the road...

Also reminds us how PCars and rF2 are exact opposites. PCars started with and continues to favour graphics, with physics slow to come. rF2 started with and continues to favour physics, with graphics slow to come. It would make a great marriage ;)

11. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

[WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

Marriage called Assetto Corsa? ;)

12. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Yep. I am all for AC stepping up to a usable sim. I could never stop comparing rF2 to it physics wise but just another sim with another community would be awesome.

13. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I don't see any 3D trees!!

14. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

That asphalt texture is pretty coarse still. Need some finer detail to it. The colour balance seems to work in changing light, but overall the tint is pretty green, isn't it? (coulde be the uncalibrated monitor at work, though)

15. chappi666

chappi666 Registered

Hello,

i have a problem with the background. In the side window missing it.

View attachment 9662

View attachment 9667

Thanks for your work!!! The NOS is my absolute favorit Track.......:)

VG
    chappi

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I didnt used tessellate prior to mesh smooth for the road mesh, I used mesh smooth first and then tessellate to add extra geometry for the road mesh. The first smooth was enough to get the road smoothed fine, at that point, it only needed more geometry.

As you can easily see in 0.96, 2x mesh smooth is way too smooth... it feels like super smooth concrete.

I'll look at your script you mentioned, but thing is.. the mesh is really bad, and too many edges don't line up properly. So snapping vertices only to the one that should be snap results in edges being distorted. If you script moves edges against vertices, then this might be helpful.

But as for Mario's script, which moves vertices against vertices, it is usable in 25-50% of the time. I have to move lots of edges to match the road geometry.

Here is the result of my work so far. Well, we don't see it all, it goes all the way to the paddock, but I'm nearing the gp track area now.

It's a lot of work, as I'm reworking lots of the side geometry as well.

View attachment 9668

The curbs are really smooth now, and the extra inch that was showing darker on top of some curbs are removed (well for the areas I'm done with).

Looks really sweet!

The only area I used tessellate prior to mesh smooth, is the paddock area. The original geometry is so bad, that if I smoothed it prior tessellate, it would end up all distorted, there wasnt enough geometry to start with.

Even after 1 tesselate, mesh smooth would still distort the result too much to fix and work from there. 2 tessellate and 1 mesh smooth did it fine. Still had a few areas to fix, but the result is nice.

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Your script is blazing fast. Its almost instantaneous... I havent used it to match thousands of verts, but few hundreds and its a blink.

Also, I found out why I had results as shown in my previous screenshots I showed you.

Since I was doing it manually prior to trying your script, I had constraint on edges active, so your script was limited by the original edges. So it wasnt working properly.

With it off, its fine, it works beautifully. The only problem, I cannot use it very often as I have to move too many edges manually.

Could you alter your script to also move edges against source verts? That way when edges dont line up properly with road mesh, they would get pulled all together instead of the bottom vert only, resulting in the edges being distorted.

That would help me out a great deal if you could do that!

18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I have absolutely no idea of the problem, as I don't have a triple screen myself. Can you confirm it does that with all previous version, or only 0.96?

Maybe some people would be more knowledgeable on this issue and could point me in some direction.

19. MagnusD

MagnusD Registered

I've found two bugs(sorry if they're already known). The carousel is yellow and at the exit of 'little carousel' there is a gap/crack in the track surface at the left. Edit: This is v0.96

nurb1.png nurb2.png

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yes, the cracks in the side of the road comes with the results of smoothing the road. The surrounding couldnt be smoothed, and that is what I'm working on now, pretty much remodelling the sides so it can flow with the roads perfectly. I wanted to let you guys try it before going any further.

The yellow mats is because of a mat issue. When I smoothed out the road, I had to go back to a previous max file to have the original road, detached, and ready to smooth. At that time, the mats weren't updated. So I had to fix that, and this area got overlooked.

It's been fixed in the version I'm working on.