[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

+1

Make the track so that its quality will last the longest. I never understood ISI caving to people who's hardware couldn't handle more details and larger textures. Its the nature of games and I'm sure we all want rf2 to look good in a few years instead of giving people a few more fps now.

2. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Plenty of tracks look great without HDR and look that much more better with it. No reason why the track has to look like ass to sacrifice for HDR. If that's the route p wants to go then cool. I just ask he puts out one more bug free version of the game that looks good without HDR and he can go ahead and cater to HDR only version after that. I'll just run the last non-HDR dependent version on my servers and suggest that others do should the track get used in series that I'm in. With the vast majority of people not having 900 dollar GPUs I'm pretty sure which version we'll be going with.

I race pretty much (95%) exclusively online and I hear the word "around town". Want to get a track ignored? Make it so that you have to spend your mortgage payment on computer parts just to get it to look and run half decent.

3. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

AW: [WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

Well I don't have a supercomputer. I only have a 150€ gpu and I can run the nords with HDR on with constantly 60fps minimum and all options maxed out. So I think the track is in a very good state to go further with graphics improvements. I think you should go for that optimisation for HDR users. It's the way of development to go further and not backwards and I think you have an awesome man with tosch who will hopefully help you with that ;)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 4 Beta

4. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

People need to understand we are in 2013, almost 2014. You simply cannot run present and near future games with 2004 computers. Simple as that.
    Of course this should be done with HDR. You dont buy a ferrari and ask them to put some 13" rims cause you dont have Money for tires.

Sent from my old rotary phone.

5. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

My late 2010 computer can run HDR just fine, I barely notice any performance hit.

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

Gee...sure wish I had a $900 GPU...

The computer that I run rF2 on is running a Q6600 that has been going since 2008, 4GB RAM and a ATI 7850.
    I would rate it as a "medium" in terms of spec. And yet I run rF2 very well. Nice 60fps, HDR, reflections, AA and either high or full on the detail settings. Sometimes I have to juggle them round for tracks like Silverstone, but yeah.
    I'd be interested to see what you are running...especially as you can put together a real decent rig for pretty cheap nowdays...other computer I put together a few months ago is as follows...to me it is plenty powerful in all games I've played on it.
    USD$700 odd got me an i5 3570K, Nice OC'ing AsRock mobo, 8Gb Corsair RAM and a 7950 OC. You could even cheapen up that if you want, budget ram, lower spec CPU and a different GPU.
    If you already have a case and a 650-750W PSU, you are set. I really don't understand how people can go bat**** over prices sometimes.

It's like the Marussia team asking Red Bull Racing to slow down as they aren't as fast and don't have as much money XD. If you have 2008 hardware, it is 5 years old. Battlefield 2 came out in 2005, so count 5 years back and you would be looking at trying to run it with something like a GeForce 2. Not gunna happen. What is happening here is what has always been seen, just like XP was a "resource hog" when it came out, much the same as Vista/Win7. And Crysis. and Half Life 2. And Doom 3. And Oblivion. and FSX...etc...
    By all means, I don't mean to poke fun at those who cannot afford to do any upgrades or who dont want to, but it is just like Valter Cardoso says above.

Apologies if this is seen as OT

7. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Registered

[WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

Those of us with lesser machines simply want to select LOW settings and still be able to race without 20m of road passing by between frames. We don't expect HIGH settings to run on old machines at all.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I think this is really the issue. Taking the time (ISI included) to make sure that the successive graphics step-down settings actually increase frame rate to a decent extent. Then everyone can choose the trade-off their hardware requires and that they are comfortable with. It's getting boxed into a corner with no choices (at the high end, or with some tracks, the ugly end) that is bad for all.

However, I don't expect any modder to focus on this until all the rest of the track is finished and optimized overall. It's a last step in the chain thing that may mean those with lower-end hardware have to wait longer to use a track.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Lower lods and downsampling is very important and a must, but not everyone does it.

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Here we go. I have readjusted all the green stuff in Photoshop. The colors are not perfect, but it's not bad for an one hour paint job and gives me much more room to play with hdr settings.

hdr on
    [​IMG]

hdr off
    [​IMG]

hdr on
    [​IMG]

hdr off
    [​IMG]

11. Rtsbasic

Rtsbasic Registered

Its probably fair to say, if you aim for the top end graphics wise, then its relatively easy to scale things back for lower detail settings. Using LOD's, texture resolution, HDR off etc. Once work on the desired visual setting is finished.

Optimizing this track for HDR would seem a big part of that process, the ISI tracks look just fine with HDR off? And they are clearly made with HDR in mind.

Just my 2p :)

Edit: Awesome work there Tosch ^^^^^^^^. Very good for such a quick turnaround.

12. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.

Thanks for this w.i.p. Pleclair.

I just did some laps with .96 and have to say smoothing the mesh has done wonders for this ancient road mesh. I noticed my car had some strange and violent reactions to a tire hitting the track edge and curbs, but I'm guessing that would be spots where the mesh isn't lining up in this version.

IMHO you might want to try out some different grass textures, the trackside grass kind of looked like a neon sign. Of course that was probably my own fault for not turning HDR off :p

About the HDR, obviously do what you feel is best, but please dont pay too much attention to 1 or 3 people claiming the vast majority of users dont run HDR.

I'm not sure how old of a rig you need to have for HDR to make rF2 unplayable, but I consider my rig low-end at best by todays standards(Q9300@2.5 Ghz[cuz the crap is so old it wont let me OC anymore lol], 4 gigs ram and a sub-$200 GPU GTX560Ti) and I always leave it on. Shoot, I run with all eye candy and effects enabled, everything on full except AA and AF are somewhere around the middle. Except at the starting grid every track I've tried(including the new Silverstone) runs very smooth.

Not trying to sound like one of those elite guys with a 900 dollar GPU but please make this track for the future not the past.

13. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Re: [WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

I noticed that in single player mod, after hitting "restart weekend" button, Realroad return to green instead of staying in naturally progressing state.
    Otherwise, as I can already read in this thread, dust on track is annoying for me, when you follow one or more cars, in some place you can't see anything for a few seconds. Not really easy to drive well in those turns.

Envoyé depuis mon mobile avec Tapatalk

14. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

The HDR shots are looking so much better. Its amazing really.

15. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Not griping at you Mydriaz, just noting how people are different.

I like the dust, only gripe with dust is that it is not always where you would expect it ( it would be in dips of road where natural contour of the land would develop strong water runoff, resulting in excess dirt after water evaporated.)

In the end... dust or no dust, I can be happy.

16. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

GPU: XFX 7870 HD
    CPU: i5 3570K
    8 gig ram

Yep, just me and my "2004" system as someone mentioned.

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Looks awesome! You are sharing these with pleclair so he can include in the next release?

18. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Wow, these look really nice. I only have a HD4890 myself, one of the oldest cards still around... but please make it look good on modern hardware with modern graphics features. We might be driving this track five years down the road still.

19. Quartza

Quartza Registered

All this talk about graphic performance is quite silly guys, considering how RF2 is ridiculously unoptimized at this state.

20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Same card I run. Almost feel bad upgrading since it works pretty well in most modern games.