[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

2. tjc

tjc Registered

pleclair...

Found this strange shadow when testing, wondered what it was...

[​IMG]

Found this:

[​IMG]

It goes on for quite some distance... right across the track in both directions. It goes through telegraph poles and trees etc...

[​IMG]

Plus these trees (or small bushes) don`t look right to me either but not sure. Thought I`d mention it anyway.

[​IMG]

I`ve noticed other trees still turn to look at the car when you pass them also.

Not a post of complaint but things I wanted bring to your attention.

Keep up the good work though, it`s getting there.

:)

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Looks like the power/telephone lines aren't being rendered correctly.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I think that's the confusion--the track is in Europe, so presumably the gas station is, too. Nor's comment was about that. Thought it was obvious.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

On a more relevant note, I think pleclair said that .096 was too smooth because he ran/did some x2 smoothing procedure. For .097 he did it only once and that was better. I would agree that .096 is a bit too smooth road surface.

I will also give my opinion on the new grass colour: don't like it. It seems too fluorescent to me--in other words, it's a green that doesn't occur in nature. At least that's how it looks on my monitor. Nords is pretty dull green, actually, as are most grasses up in the mountains.

Also not sure about the "dust" on the track as others have mentioned.

Overall, an amazing improvement. I never suspected this much progress could be made in such a short time. Lots of small niggly things to keep polishing, but once the carousel and the other obvious graphical bugs are fixed, this version should provide tons of fun and practice time while we await "perfection." :)

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Please, before tarnishing the thread with false accusations, please read it from page 1 and over, and read my other thread in the general forum, At least I got it to run in dev mode.

I never asked for anything. I simply stated my computer wasnt appropriate to allow me to continue work on nords, and some nice people in here offered me to donate. Took me a few days to accept, since I wasnt sure if I could do it or not, and after seeing the progress I was making, I decided to set up a donate link and go on with it.

I never stole credits from com8 for this track, even praised his work. So before making any statement, be aware of all the details.

Now, please, keep you reply for yourself, and keep out of this thread. Thanks.

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

Looking forward to trying this smooth bump version now XD. Wonder if the laptimes or car behavior will change a lot.

Small donation made, go grab yourself a cup of coffee man...:p

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yeah, this morning, I was gonna crash around 7am or so, but then got all excited with this track smooth thing, so I wanted to finish up the 0.97 with 1x mesh smooth/1x tessel (which is really nice to drive btw) and fix up all the little cracks on the side since it has been smoothed.

But around 10am, my new computer parts arrived, and I proceeded to install them.

I saved much time by skipping the windows install, as I tried to boot it right up, and to my astonishment, it booted just fine! Couldnt believe it. I've worked as a computer tech from windows 95 to windows xp and early days of vista, and everytimes I swapped a mobo, specially with different chipset, the windows wouldnt boot no more. So I was expecting to reinstall it yet again today.

But when I booted, I had the horror of seeing win7 didnt see my onboard network. And my dvd drive is now out since a few years, been doing fine with usb, even to install windows.

So I managed to install pwntunes, ifile and safari download manager on my jailbroken iphone 3gs, and downloaded the driver for it, moved it to a folder that is seen thru pwntunes (makes the iphone work like a usb key, and access stuff without itunes, really neat).

Installed it, and managed to continue setting up the new drivers!

Then went to sleep!

I'm currently working on the upcoming 0.97 with the proper road mesh, and fixed up sides. The sides may take a little more time than I think, since the cracks are not so obvious at some places.

Oh, and I've tested to enabled everything in my scene with materials on, and it worked beautifully!

Many thanks again to everyone that helped me out.

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

You can start timed laps from lap 1 now, been updated like that since 0.95 :)

Sorry, forgot to mention!

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

@ Marc Collins:
    You completely misunderstood me there. Everyone knows this track is in Germany. The comment made about gas was a tongue in cheek thing about the gas prices being so low (which they'd have been had they been by the gallon, which perhaps the poster didn't know it was in liters). My response was to him, just like yours, to perhaps enlighten him on the subject. I expect you to fully understand things now.

About the track:
    If parts of it are still bumpy and parts smooth, and they actually match or come close to real life then I don't see why change it again for artificial difficulty. The foliage can be darker, stronger green instead of the very bright inner green.

11. pleclair

pleclair Registered

lol :)

Thanks! I never included it, but I must have been sleepy this time around!

12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks, that is something that went unnoticed. Will see that it is fixed!

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hmm, didnt noticed it.. will check it out, thanks!

14. pleclair

pleclair Registered

The grip issue is happening because the mesh is too smooth. It feels like very smooth concrete... not right.

As I said this morning, I've done a 1x mesh smooth/1x tessel version that feels just right.

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I'm sorry, I didnt quite understood what you were really trying to say! Wasnt your fault!

I'm still learning a lot in this, so it could have been me not knowing enough on the matter, or simply the language barrier.

Either way, happy to have made good progress on this! I was liking the bumps, but in some tight corners, like the spiraling downward one, was a bit rough when hitting the gas too much. Now it feels just right!

Well, I'll go back to Max and work on that 0.97! Will come back here when I'm done!

Again, I wish to thank everyone that donated, it is a lot more pleasurable working with Max now. The disk trashing was killing me, and the wait that comes with it. It is now a whole lot better. And no crash yet!

16. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

He got permission for this conversion and asking for donations aside.... This track might have been perfect for rF1 but it doesn't cut it at all for rF2. The track was too low resolution and made it completely unrealistic and jarring to drive with the new tire model. The trees, the track and all of the objects in general are too low quality. It needs new textures and a modeling overhaul. The old version might have taken 10,000 hours to make, but it needs about 1,000 more to get it up to par. If people want to donate to help pleclair get a better system to do it that's ok. You don't have to donate.... and you shouldn't download the track if you are so against improving it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
  17. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

I never said you stole credit...don't put words in my mouth.

It's only my opinion...you also said your opinions!

18. Rtsbasic

Rtsbasic Registered

Just to add..Tosch has updated his HDR profile for this track, the link in the first post is out of date.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2872-rF2-screen-shots?p=200114&viewfull=1#post200114

Starting to look beautiful :D Some screenshots by him in the post above that one.

I've taken some quick ones of my own to show,

View attachment 9576

View attachment 9577

View attachment 9578

View attachment 9579

View attachment 9580

View attachment 9581

View attachment 9582

View attachment 9583

View attachment 9584

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
  19. Tosch

Tosch Registered

To give you an idea how this hdr stuff works I made some example screens at a time near sunset.

hdr on, selected profile is "none". This is the default profile by ISI for all tracks that have no profile included.
    Looks spectacular! :eek: Ok, the hovering tree shadows look a bit strange.

[​IMG]

hdr off. Every object has the same lightning. Looks flat.

[​IMG]

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.
    hdr on. HDR profile with reduced lightning from the sun, more gamma to compensate the loss of light. Whitepoint adjusted to have a brighter sky.

[​IMG]

20. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Great pleclair! :) and thanks also to Tosch for the HDR improvement :)