Nice website update ISI!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pleclair, Aug 3, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Just typed rfactor.net to enter the forums, and I was surprised to see the new look of the frontpage!

Looks really good! I love it! And the news are well presented down below.

Great job guys!

I'm even more surprised to be the first to post about it!

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Still a lot to go into it, I just had to get the main functionality in before the weekend, and it's all working.

3. yifter

yifter Registered

Dont want to complain, but it seems heavily "optimized" for mobile devices. A Pain in the A..S for a regular PC Guy. Other than that. Its good. I dont recommend wordpress . Look into django, you won't regret it. https://www.djangoproject.com/

4. 88mphTim

How's that?

The layout is essentially still a 990px width centrally aligned fixed defined area, as it was before. Page content is exactly the same width and size as it was before. The only real change is that now the menu doesn't have two product menus, it has a selection, then one menu (our guys are sick of refunding people who can't tell the difference between "1" and "2"), and that the images of the header and news items fill a 1920px width (can't say I'm aware how that is useful or "optimized" for a mobile browser...), unchanging in any other way from the old layout. Most mobile devices don't/won't even show anything past the 990px, because it's fluid. Both an iPhone and iPad don't show the additional width at all. So can you explain what was changed to optimize? because I think you swallowed a placebo. And if you mean the huge rf1 and rf2 selection icons on the main page, that's placeholder, but working functionality of a selection menu... :p Click on one, and you'll see a menu for the one you chose, a menu that would be largely difficult to use on a mobile browser without pinching (I am assuming you visited more than one page to see that...)

5. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Nothing wrong with Wordpress... Don't forget the fact that ISI has lately been writing a lot of blog entries lately, and while I know it's possible to do everything that Wordpress does in Django, no reason to reinvent so many wheels (in particular the editor). Besides, recall that web frameworks like Wordpress, Django, or Rails don't dictate the user interface at all. As much as I hate PHP, I don't see why ISI should waste time switching to Django when they already have Wordpress working.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Not sure if just me or....did you also update the forums Tim? things look slightly different and sometimes struggling with width so it seems.

Top and bottom of ss-thread:

Attached Files:

7. 88mphTim

No changes at all, no...

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

8. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

The site is not comfortable to read at all down from "LATEST RFACTOR 2 NEWS". One of the most important aspect of creating new site or just new form of the site. Please change that if possible. Also so big space used just for sign of particular news is really not necessary.

9. 88mphTim

Can you please explain "comfortable"? I'd need more of a description to do anything... What can't you do? What can't you see? Why? Right now I could only advise you to buy a new chair to help comfort. :)

10. Jean-christophe Pires

Jean-christophe Pires Registered

I think he means that it is not very attractive, as it would be better to separate each news more readable.

My opinion is that the news should have the same body size as the download section, with this css add.

div{
    margin-bottom: 5px; to separate them,
    border-radius: 15px;
    }

img{
    box-shadow: 8px 8px 12px #777777;
    }

If you used the same width for the body as download section, you can used better img quality for the same size.

Whether you use Wordpress, mango, ... for a site making only showcase, I don't see any problem.

My users told me is that they would link their ISI account with their RF2 connection info. But I understand that there may reside security problems.
    "EDIT" I just saw sync on my profile, but it does not work

In any case, the new format is much prettier than the old one, good job!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
  11. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Is just a big contrast of pictures which is a little "disturbing"(although pictures is nice) despite black background behind the text. Probably because the ratio of used space between background picture and text itself. Next example is not, how to make site(or dear God no, how must look), is preferable that everyone have own style. Just example how can be more readable and pleasant from the main site http://techreport.com/
    Right now everything screams in the eyes(not really :)), or at least i feel that way. Anyway is not a big deal mainly because is just part of the site and if you want read the news, you click it and get to the whole story which is actually very readable. Just my observation and don't worry i'm in very comfortable position right now hehe....vertical position :) Good night.

Ps.: Of course i mean in horizontal, i am not vampire jet, although is almost 3 am, lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
  12. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Pictures in the news section are very, very low resolution except the first one of Silverstone. Apart from that, it looks good to me.

I can se the 'Lola'... yey ;)

13. 88mphTim

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The main thing with the layout was to keep the fixed width suitable for a 4:3 1024px screen, but not have the huge blank spaces at the sides anymore. So I made a fluid 1920px max background for the news items and header, that extends out from the centrally aligned 990px content space. The news images need to be higher res (and will be in newer items), I need to change the hyperlink colors, and I'll space them apart. Thanks again.

14. Jean-christophe Pires

Jean-christophe Pires Registered

Thanks too, for all your great job!! Keep pushing!! ;)

15. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Seems like a weird update to me, the previous version looked alot cleaner and more professional imho. This looks a bit like I made it in Dreamweaver using a how-to build a website for dummies book :p It all looks a bit simple and random with no clear tone or style running trough it.
    I personally don't think the images behind the news article headlines really work, and then when you open the article you have half a page with a picture and half a page with no layout and just black text on a white background.

I really liked the previous version alot better BUT since it's just an early version as you said yourself, I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve in the right way :)

16. 88mphTim

Have to come in as a first timer really... We were getting a huge amount of people buying the wrong product, etc. Other than the width, the layout is essentially the same as it was, just forcing a product selection. :) I'm trying to funnel people to the right place right away, and according to the site stats, it's working.