Progressive slowdown

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by aleph99, Jul 29, 2013.

1. aleph99

aleph99 Registered

I am using an i7 3.40 GHz CPU with 8 MB RAM and AMD Radeon 7750 2MB GPU – not the fastest rig in the world, but good enough for most graphics-intensive games. With the rFactor2 demo, however, something strange is happening: the FPS declines steadily until the game becomes unplayable.

With maximum resolution (1920x1080) and all graphics features on, the race begins at approximately 20 FPS and crawls down to 4 FPS after 2 or 3 turns, a problem that is more noticeable with rain. With minimum resolution (800x600) and all graphics features off, it starts around 80 FPS and decreases to 18-20 FPS (which still allows the game to be played, but with horrible graphics).

I have tried everything in between these two extremes to no avail. I also checked the CPU while playing and it seems to be handling the load quite easily, which seems to point to the GPU as the culprit. But, again, it is a fairly fast GPU. Any hints?

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

First, upgrade from 8 MB of RAM up to 8 GB! :p LOL j/k

Try to run it in windowed mode. I have never heard of this prob with rF2 which makes me think it may be a problem on your system, but it's impossible to tell.

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Try turning off replay recording and check your temps.

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I have only 1GB 7750 and worse CPU than you, same amount RAM... no problems here. My settings are pretty avarage or slightly above.

So definently some problem with your system...hope you find the reason. You could try GPU driver update for example.

5. Tiger

Tiger Registered

hi'
    in your grafic card panel, disable "triple-buffering"
    don't set all at max, like shadows...
    and for sure your card keep being busy on something that's already gone...
    like accumulate some memory info of some kind...
    don't know how to say better than this...
    just my 2cts

6. aleph99

aleph99 Registered

I tried windowed mode, as suggested by Guy Moulton, but there was no change: at 1024x768, race started at 40 FPS and dropped to 12-14 FPS (or 8-10 FPS with rain) after one turn.

The same with replay recording: I turned it off, but nothing changed.

An interesting fact is that if I Alt-Tab out of the game and then go back to it after a while, the FPS rate picks up and is back at whatever is was at the beginning, then starts to drop again. This seems to point to some sort of queueing problem that sorts itself out while the game is frozen in the background. Any ideas?

(Come on, ISI guys, help us out here, I really want to buy this game!)

7. aleph99

aleph99 Registered

TIG_green, can you tell me how exactly the game is configured for you, and perhaps how the card itself is configured? What FPS can you get?

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ack-conversion?p=189249&viewfull=1#post189249

I did a test on few tracks to compare fps. I usually use also low enviroment reflections but not in Silverstone. Can't say much about my GPU configuration, haven't changed anything. It's Sapphire version so it fits my small case. And I use single screen. Experience is smooth imo.

9. A.Driver

A.Driver Registered

Is this a force feed back issue ?

'Skip updates="5" // Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate....'

edit controller.ini , C:\Users\NAME\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player

10. aleph99

aleph99 Registered

I followed all the suggestions in this thread but none worked. Then, in despair, and considering that I had 7 days to cancel the purchase if nothing worked, I bought the game and, to my surprise, it performed much better than the demo. So now I have a whole new set of problems and complaints to address (What? No manual?! Are you kidding?), which I will do in a separate thread. I thank you all for your attention and your kindness.

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

This forum IS the manual.