Best cheapest upgrade from 2 core to play rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PMC, Jul 29, 2013.

1. PMC

PMC Registered

Thanx guys ,deleting the files worked, but the game still crashes with textures above medium at Silverstone, I know its a pretty demanding track

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I believe it is related to system memory. I made a test recently and figured out that rF2 at max settings with 29 AI cars at Silverstone consumes 3.7GB of system memory and 2.4GB of GPU memory. I just crosschecked this with a game of a competitor (the game with the P....) ;) and this software runs with 1.2GB system memory. :confused:

32 bit OS and less than 6GB ram is a No-Go with rFactor2.

3. PMC

PMC Registered

Yes that's what I figured . I'm extremely happy so far but if the next step is 64bit and more RAM will help push it more then so be it.

I'm sure theres plenty out there on 32bit not having a problem with the game its just that ive got it so tantalisingly close to all max .

:D

4. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

You test your Ram with Memtest ?
    When you look in Task Manager how much Ram used in Idle ?
    With CCleaner ist easy to config the " Autostart " , maybe you start with too much Progs , and fix the Ram Vcore at 1,5V in Bios .
    Long ago as i use 32bit OS , but i remember there is an Option in Bios for better Ram usage , think it was " Shadow remapping " or so , enable that ...

5. PMC

PMC Registered

It uses about 825MB at idle and usage goes up to 2.5 GB in game but physical memory says only 2MB free ?.

Yes I could try turning off some services but i'm not keen on doing that but next reboot i'll look into the bios for sure.

I'm happy enough to go to 64bit and some more Ram i'm sure it cant hurt but of course that's another $60 on top of my minimum total lol

6. PMC

PMC Registered

Well I can confirm this system with 64bit and 8GB Ram will run rF2 with all on max without adding a K to the CPU and without Extreme on the M.B. and (Ti) on the GPU, Silverstone still struggles for frame rate ,somewhere around 50fps and the game play was smooth but other tracks Longford and LRP are comfortably well above 60 fps ,this is with 10 cars.

I'm happy :D

I5-3470

700W PSU

ASUS P8B75-M LX (The cheapest,DX11 compatible, no SSD support)

8GB RAM Kingstone

ASUS GTX660

LG MODISC DVD Drive (The cheapest)

Windows 7 64bit

TOTAL: A shade over $700

The GTX650Ti 2GB seems a good option and save around $70

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  7. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

Not realy :

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/781?vs=783

8. PMC

PMC Registered

Sorry my mistake ,I mean the BOOST version. This one seems ok ,maybe not as good as the 660 but should run rF2 ok

9. Bazza

Bazza Registered

Ram seems to affect rf2 a fair bit.

I just recently upgraded CPU,ram and motherboard but running same gpu. Peak frame rates are not changed much, but smoothness and average frame rate went up heaps.

Old system q9550 @ 3.6ghz 4gb ram gtx570oc

New i73820 @ 4.5ghz 32gb ram same gpu

All tested w7ultimate 64bit

10. whiplash

whiplash Registered

I have now upgraded to a Gainward Phantom GTX 760, and finally i am able to run rF2 pretty much maxed out. Yes it is true, my CPU/RAM/HDD-Combo is now holding the GPU back a little bit. But at least for the moment i am happy with it, as i am only running at 1280x1024 atm. Surely i will have to upgrade more when i buy a bigger screen. But i got the GTX 760 in exchange for my old but trusty GTX 275, so no complains here :D

BTW: I did test rF2 with stock clocks on my E6750 (2.66GHz) as well as my 24/7 settings (3.6GHz), and i don't think my CPU is on its limits yet. I guess more RAM (8 instead of 4) and SSD will help me more than an upgrade to i5/i7. What do you guys think?

11. Bazza

Bazza Registered

Yeah I'd try more ram first. A duely @3.6 is enough for just about everything IMHO.I have an old 6750 floating around myself, one day will build a second machine with an old 1gb 4870 so I can race mates.

I don't think the ssd will do much more than boost load times a bit so I would def concentrate on ram first.