rFactor2 empty servers vs iRacing full servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

im just laying out the difference. And im saying rf2 deserves better audience.

2. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

rf1 was the majority

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It will get there. If you were around to see rF1 evolve you know it takes time. But even in rF1 pickup racing sucked. Leagues are the way to go in rF1/2. I also have to disagree about the quality if racing on iR. I haven't been impressed at all. Our league is attempting an iRacing series and their first race the only people that really finished were the guys from our core league. All the new members that came from the iRacing pool could hang. The few iRacing guys that did were posting on our forum about how they have never seen such clean racing before.

IRacing is great if you like listening to people yell and scream at each other over the voice com. Hahaha

4. jomardi

jomardi Registered

RF2 is not MMO! and I never seen empty servers!

5. clevytr6

clevytr6 Registered

I would rather race artificial intelligence in rF2 than lower intelligence in Iracing. I am a member and haven't logged on in months due to stupid driving. Reached Class C and got frustrated.

6. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

IMO, most of the rF2 is waiting on the next development cycle, mainly our private developers of the mods/tracks we use for our league racing. From what I hear/read, most of this time is currently being spent on learning to build the right tire for the right car and how to adjust for the type of racing it's built for. That will take time, but once that's figured out and documented, and more importantly, ISI has 'finished' the tire model and released proper documentation for it, then we'll all start to see our favorite mods come over to rF2. Honestly, the reason rF2 isn't what it should be yet, is because most of those drivers are still in rF1 waiting for the conversion to rF2.

Like Noel stated, the process at the beginning of the rF1 cycle was slow to get going, but as developers learned the code/system and how to make it their own, it took off. I don't plan on seeing on major steps forward in rF2 for another year or 2 to be honest, but my hope is that it goes quicker. There's enough similarities between rF1 and rF2 outside of the tire model, that learning curve should be small.

If you are looking for a large group of drivers to get involved with open practice and regularly scheduled events for both rF1 and now mostly rF2, get involved at http://www.simhqmotorsports.com. There's a wealth of information and drivers there and I've had a lot of fun with their Saturday rF2 events and weekly practice. There are sites/leagues all over the place that do the same thing, and they should be your go to for racing.

I think too many times people expect racing/servers to be like they are for other games. I think there's a more protected mindset to keep the losers/wreckers/dolts out and regulate the crowd more because of the run and done scope of racing. You can't wreck a car and hit reset and keep going. When your'e done, you're done and that's it. I don't know that you'll ever see that kind of setup again in a good simulation where drivers are expecting strong competition and a fair shot at just finishing a race.

I have many more opinions on the matter, but that's the basis of it all. Those of us that understand, enjoy what we have. Those that don't, won't until they do.

7. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

What kind of api's are there now btw? If any?

Any word from ISI on comming api's?

8. Mauro

Mauro Registered

empty servers: ISI standalone vmod are the solution!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

There are no APIs for building and managing packages and to make a fully web based system for running leagues I feel this would be needed. The plugin API for rF2 has improved a lot over rF1 but still needs more work IMO. I suspect we will not see any real work being done on APIs until the rest of the development slows down.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Clearly people have figured out how to make a vmod. If they didn't know how to make vmods then there wouldn't even be servers online much less empty ones.

For the end user you don't even need to deal with vmods or installing components anymore. Everything auto downloads now. Give people time to learn how to make use of GetMod and everything will be smooth.

The real problem is lack of content. But this will come with time... just as it did with rF1. I remember buying rF1 the first day I could. I ran the default content for a few days and then went back to GTR. I didn't get on the internet and troll.. I accepted that the framework was there and I just had to wait for the content. I came back 1.5 years later and never looked back.

11. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

I am sure it will get there. There is simply too much potential for it to fail. ISI have a small team and have taken a radical approach when it comes to physics. By doing so they have taken a bit of a gamble as they are on uncharted territory, but I am sure they will succeed and reap the rewards (as we all will). It simply takes more time and thus patience from our side :)

12. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

Firstly iRacing does have busy servers which is good for racing in. But then you get series that are full of idiots such as Star Mazda. Over at iR it was a running joke that 9 out of 10 times if you was taken out it would be an Italian or South American.

Then you got other race series such as Trucks, Nationwide where you had 1 or 2 bad eggs compared to 20 other good guys in the race who had a good laugh and race clean.

So there is good and bad just like in rF 1/2 online. I played rF1 online from within the first few months it came out and although it was slow, it was still more popular then rF2 is now. Sure we all complained at RSDG's Megane Mod but it brought it lots of racers and many good ones, you just had to know the servers to go on.

The good thing about rF1 is when it came out it was pretty much the end product. Apart from adding other series such as the NSCR series and ruleset, rF didn't really change meaning mod groups had a stable platform to work with. The main reason I presume we aren't seeing many mods is because why waste many hours converting your rF1 mod into rF2 for it all need altering in the next build a few months down the line.

Till we come to a stage in the main core of the game where graphical options etc will be at a set level I can't see many people wanting to spend time converting tracks, and till we have more tracks and cars nobody is that interested in racing them online.

13. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

So how come there's a series in iRacing with races every hour, 24hrs a day, that's packed (multiple splits) but has only one car and alternates between 2 tracks throughout the year?

The one thing iRacing has going for it is the racing. Which is sad....

14. Domi

Domi Registered

Lol no. No way. For pickup racing, iRacing offers the best product by far, and drivers are much cleaner. Yes, there are idiots, because sadly in this world there are idiots everywhere, but the proportion is minimal compared to rF public servers, where you know perfectly that something will happen in turn 1. Always.

Why iRacing has so many users driving, the answer is quite easy: it's easy as **** to setup, and there are organized/sanctioned races every 2h. Even a monkey would be able to install and setup iRacing without problems, basically with 5 clicks you are done. On rF/rF2 you need to go and check forums because there is always something you don't know... and second, you know you will find people in most series (not all). For someone who arrives home after hours of work, this is something priceless, as you don't have to worry about finding a proper league (a league that must suit your avaiable times...), or about setupping the game / installing mods / tracks etc. You need to update? Ok, 1 click and you are done. Imo this is the main difference between iRacing and the rest in terms of online participation.

15. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes it is very handy even i don't use it after a short period of testing. That is exactly the plus of there plattform.

16. joker68

joker68 Registered

Empty servers? No, it's not sad. It's a consequence of the "mod system" introduced by rF2. Everytime someone wants to race, it must download tons of stuff just to be able to enter a single race/server, and by the time the download is finished, the race is over (if, of course, the unfortunate driver is able to find all the mods/tracks/cars in a single/easy place).
    The old system (where you were required to have just the car and specific track) was way better.
    Now you have to download 9 tracks and what else...
    Last week I tried to race almost every day. Guess what? *Every* single server presented in the list had a different mod running. I didn't even try to download the mods - it just wasn't worth the hassle (3 or 4 drivers each, top).
    I am giving up in rF2. Just hope that AC doesn't "innovate" too much in the mod department.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

People really shouldn't bundle 9 tracks in one vmod but sadly they do. This isn't really a flaw of the packaging system but a lack of knowledge on how to use it the best.

It will get there. Just takes time.

18. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Noel, question..

As I don't create those myself, is it possible to create a vmod based on "all cars and tracks"? I'm sure that's a loaded answer with rF2, but I remember doing something like that in rF1. Just curious.

19. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Just include all the cars and all the tracks in your vmod. And then update when there is more.

20. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I have to say I didn't find iracing particularly easy to understand, I got it set up fine but it was the "dashboard" screen which wasn't intuitive for me. I couldn't really see any races, and there didn't seem to be much choice or people online. I ended up in a couple of practice sessions in an mx5, the feeling in car is certainly quite different to rF2 and there is a crazy rattling steering wheel effect when you lock up, almost like ABS but coming through the wheel. Admittedly I spent all of about 2 hours on it and haven't been back to it so i'm not the best reviewer of this subject. Perhaps some of the whiners here are too familiar with iRacing so that they are unwilling to say anything positive about rF.

I don't think the lack of action online is down to the mod system, yes you have to download tracks once in a while, it is a pain I agree, especially when they are updating vmods everyday from Sometrack v0.01 to v0.011 but this seems to have subsided now, it is down to the server admin to not necessarily include every track ever released. As for iRacing and how easy it is to dl/update their content, it is their content, I think people forget that the majority of rF2 content is third party modded content, some of which is questionable legally, this is why we have to dl from third party websites, nevertheless usually linked to from the official rF2 forums. If its too complicated for some people then fine, I'm sure there are other games out there that are accommodating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.