Will this processor run rF2 better?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ccjcc81, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Nuno P

Nuno P Registered

as you can see in his profile his language is english, and you show us a website where the hardware test is written in german... now that's pointless

2. Nuno P

Nuno P Registered

of course it's silly... who the hell plays games in 1280x720 in this day and age??

3. LowRider

LowRider Registered

Only pointless if you are not able read numerals and percents in a graphic representation. In this case the language should be irrelevant.

Nobody said you should play in such low resolution, i even would'nt do this.
    The point is, this is a thread about cpu. And a test to compare mainly the cpu power in a game should always use minimum settings in resolution, AA and AF. Cause resolution, AA and AF are mostly GPU addicted and have practical nothing to do with the cpu!

4. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

I'm showing my age, but ATI cards were better than nVidia back in the AGP days ... Specifically the ATI Radeon 700 AGP with a whopping (for the time) 128MB RAM was the best there was in its era :)

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

I will post my cpu overclock results later then I will do a gpu overclock also. This will be on the latest intel 4770k and the latest nVidia GTX780 SC ACX ( bare in mind this is already a factory OC GFX card and faster by some margin).

For all you that are pro AMD each to there own, I do my research over and over and for me its mainly all about max performance but I also think value for money( pound for my pound ). AMD clearly have had there focus on other intrest over the last few years naming one the PS4, perhaps now that the PS4 is out they will take the fight back to Intel on the processor front, this has infact made Intel lack investment into pure cpu performance gains over the last 3 years.

I am totally unbias I have done many combos in the past AMD/ATI, Intel/Ati, Intel/nVidia, it doesnt matter what name or what colour it is, I will invest in whatever has the best performance my needs and cost to a certain degree.

I recommend all new system buyers to get a new Intel Socket 1150 Z87 Motherboard, the new boards design to me clearly shows the potential and overclocking Intel CPUs of the future with plenty more control over RAM, cache and bus speeds than the last Z77 had. My board is far more powerful at delivering performance than my CPU a 4770k can handle on all accounts, this clearly tells me we can expect alot more processing power and overclocks from the next generation 5 and 6 of Intel CPU as the headroom is massive.

I am enthusiast Overclocker, my 4770k spent 2 hours as a standard 3.5ghz just till I got windows, my oc programs, internet connections and rfactor2 installed. Then I shot for an easy 4.3ghz then onto 4.4 with just a voltage increase on the core. Now 4.5ghz after having to modify various other voltages because the 4770k @ 4.5ghz barrier depends heavily on other voltages and heat. It has been mentioned that a 4770k @ 4.5ghz is comparable to a 3770k @ 4.7ghz and a 2700k @ 5ghz.

Altho better value could be had right now from the 1155 Z77 socket you are not future proofing your investment. IMHO you will have to bite the whole system upgrade bullit at some point why not do it now with the new socket gently. I recommend a medium to low end Z87 motherboard as from my experience anything higher is way overkill and get the features you need, bluetooth wireless etc. Then just get yourself the cheapest most affordable i5/i7 it doesnt have to be a k series with unlocked oc multiplier the main thing is you got the board. RAM is same price just some cheap 1600mhz sticks will do. The CPU comes with a cooler altho crap it will do for now and it will still be faster than anything AMD and you can still overclock. Use your old Power Supply altho check its compatible with intels low power switching states and use your old case, GPU and drives. I figure you could get all this for less than £400, plus whatever you can get back on ebay from your old gear, as your budget allows next year buy the best 5gen intel cpu you can afford or if its GFX grunt you lack buy nVidia GTX800 series which should be out summer 2014.

My opinions reflect on the fact that you want performance in rFactor and my suggestions are based purely around rFactor.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't not like my overclock changing never have, nor do I use turbo O/C
    My voltage is v1.28 constant @ 4.5GHz, 90% of people use more........ mmmmm :)
    That voltage is low, mobo is not put under too much stress.

This is what I meant by expensive.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1183&products_id=19867

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_803&products_id=18661

My own Z77 is only $ 35-40 more.
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20001

Those 2 are all you need for 4.5GHz, cheaper boards then these have low Phase Power, low quality caps.

Rookies get any boards and keep winding up voltage to get same clocks as others then .............. POOF ! p

My $150 board does 5GHz rock solid stable standing on its head at only 1.36v :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  7. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Fair enough if you're happy doing it the traditional way but I would never do a constant voltage OC after using an offset. My chip needs around 1.34v to hit 4.5GHz so an offset is a much more efficient way of doing things for me. No way I would want to leave it at that voltage 24/7.

I'm using less power, undervolting at idle and prolonging the life of the chip. :)

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

People will tell you can't do 4.5Ghz on 1.28v either ( see pic that is how I run it 24/7 )
    1.28V is not high by any stretch. :)

No you are using more power under load which is more of the time............unless you sit and look at your PC all day or use it as a office tool ?

I would not worry about prolonging cpu llife unless you do 1.4-1.5 volt range 24//7.

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  9. ifrans

ifrans Registered

Thanks Bart for the advise, good info

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

That was my exact advice in one sentence post 3.

Buy 1155 now before it disappears.

My 2500K will last another 2 years as it is.
    I could run any next generation cards on it.

Decent Motherboard and Sandy Ivy costs you about $4 a week over 2 years.

How much a day is it worth to run faster sims ....... I think 60 cents a day is okay ? :)

11. ifrans

ifrans Registered

Thanks to you too Durgedriven, that was also good info indeed.

12. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Ugh! On second thought... maybe not. Just used some "recipe" 4.5GHz overclock settings from folks with same mobo and CPU as me. It won't even boot Windows. I'm not sure I have it in me to struggle with this. It will involve sooooooo many hours of internet searches and reboots and changes and reboots... And then if that works I can start tweaking on the GPU.

Seems like it should have just worked. 4.5Ghz is not shooting for the moon. I even backed that down to 4.0 and it did not help.

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Overclocking works differently for different CPU's. You can't use a cookie cutter approach and expect things to work. You have to start off small and work in little increments in order to get things to work well together. Your PSU will play a large part of your ability to overclock as well. If your motherboard came with an overclock utility, you could start with that, but it is likely that you will still need to get into the bios and try things that way anyways. The biggest thing that the hobby overclocker will run into is that they don't understand what everything is and does in the bios as it relates to overclocking. This is where homework comes in handy.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

With MSi motherboards you have OC Genie II.

Other manufactures have other monikers do the same thing.

Press the button and it will automatically test boot settings and start ready to go.

Typical Sandy/Ivy will run at 4.4GHz with OC Genie.
    This method has absolutely no input from you and is completed in less then 5 minutes.

Problem with auto settings they will use more voltage then is normally required.

Once you test the setting is stable then you can try to tweak the processor voltage manually,
    this will make it run " easier"

Less voltage = Less heat

My advice

After you set your OC genie run 3DMark tests ( '6 10 11 13 ) in "loops" for a HOUR
    If it does not crash then ............it ain't going to............

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  15. Bart S

Bart S Member

4770K@4.5ghz 1.299v but offset takes it to 1.320v at peak as can be seen in screeny
    rfactor2ocgfx.jpg

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

See people ! now that is very good voltages ! ........... even if mine are a bit better.
    ( bighead ) lolp ;)

Actually they are very good voltages for the new chip as good as lower Sandy voltages any day of the week.

People run same Sandy and Ivy chips well over 1.4v even 1.5v without premium cooling / parts
    and wonder why they blue screen. lol I never used over 1.36v @5GHz and for me that is just too much , around 1.3v is best pallpark.

1.3v shortens the life of a Intel chip barely anything, certainly will not effect the time you use it.

Most bad overclock results is because of pushing cheap motherboard and psu too hard, voltages start to wander.
    A flaky overclock could be poor inefficiency and tolerances from power supply.

EDIT:

++++++

Biggest thing to bear in mind is not all Processors are created equal.

Mine did 5GHz stable under 1.4v on lower end Midrange boards ( MSi P67A GD55-B3 and MSi Z77A GD55 )

That will NOT be the case for most 2500K sandy owners, even with the best gear.

BUT ..........With decent midrange gear 90% will get 4.4GHz with a auto overclock.

That extra 600MHz imho is just not worth it for simming unless you have a exceptional chip.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2013
  17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I have a question for you DD. Can you run fps tests at lower res to eliminate a graphic bottle neck with and without your OC to see what the difference is in fps? This will show roughly what % performance is gained purely on the OC. Like I said though, run lower res to eliminate any differences that can be accounted for by the GPU being a bottleneck.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Umm not sure exactly what you want , 3Dmark is good for this as you get a independent CPU score and can run all res and quality with registered version

I ran 800 and 1920 , never changed another thing ie: Full res settings

Used a High fps track with 13 cars ( Jarama 1:36.377 in Eve ) :)

Top left corner is GPU usage and vram
    next line is system ram , and CPU %

Sorry about cores forgot to enable the OSD.

Note 1920 runs 75% vs 50% and 4c hotter CPU and 1c GPU lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2013
  19. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Some really good info in here. However, I don't want to overclock. I tried in the past, and I just could never get the hang of it. I'd simply rather not. So I still need to decide if a 3750k and new mobo will really provide a noticeable boost over my 1100T without any overclocking. I would of course get the "K" in case I change my mind about overclocking in the future. What do you guys think, worth it with no overclock?

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think even running stock, yes.

[​IMG]

Thoughts on subject
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1311873/1100t-to-3570k-upgrade-worth-it

As I did above somewhere, someone also points out in this thread, best value is if you can sell your CPU/Mobo for decent money.

Then you get decent bang for buck.

Same as if you brought a FX 8350 and sat the 1100T in a drawer the value is greatly diminished.