Will this processor run rF2 better?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ccjcc81, Jul 22, 2013.

1. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

So you're saying the i5 3750k will not provide a substantial fps increase over my 1100T without overclocking?

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

Overclocking gives you a massive boost regardless of processor make, I was referring to the quoted post prior if u mean me.Yes a 3750k will mop the floor with a 1100T. Any of the last 3 gen of intel processors i5/i7 will laugh at amds most recent chips for gaming performance. Just buy an intel dont go cheap you get what you pay for. As far as rfactor2 is concerned you should be looking at intel + nvidia for max performance. Any k series i5/i7 from sandybridge gen and newer. As far as gfx nvidia 660ti 2gb and above, new 700 nvidias highly recommended. I have a GTX680 and a GTX780 the 780 in my eyes is 20-30% better performance in rfactor2 than 680 but I was limited by my old processor too to see the true differrence.

3. CrashMaster

CrashMaster Registered

Might want to look at this .... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html ... with your 1100t your already in the top tier of how they rank the CPUs for AMD. That cpu should still have enough power to play about anything out today.

Then looking at your video card http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html 7970 should have more than enough power to run this game also ...

So .... I guess I am asking how bad is it running now?
    I may not be the best one to answer this since I am running a 680 on I7-2600k @4.0ghz but I v-sync cap my stuff at 60fps 1920x1200 and it runs fine for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

4.0Ghz :)

5. CrashMaster

CrashMaster Registered

I fixed the last post .. =-)

I just ran a race at silverstone with a full 29 car field and in the back using the 196x gp cars in full rain at the start of the race I was around 45-50fps (about 98% gpu usage looking at GPUZ max memory load was only 58% the whole race max usage was about 1966Mb)

had the res 1920x1200 max everything (I think) other than level 4 AA

hope this helps give you an idea what an upgrade will do.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What Bart said, is all I was meaning.

If you can sell you processor and motherboard a 3570K/4670K and decent motherboard should barely cost more.

Cooling costs the same for both if you want to wind them up.

7. Bart S

Bart S Member

With respect to what Crashmaster posted the 1100T is not in the top tier its in the one below there is no AMD cpu in the top tier, please also note the title of the page "Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: July 2013", So basically AMD are value for money for what they do approx half the cost of the intels however they have nothing that competes in the top tier so intel are value for money there too.

The article also says quote " I don’t recommend upgrading your CPU unless the potential replacement is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel and you may not notice a worthwhile difference in game performance." If you ask me thats complete nonsense as theres no consideration made with overclocking potential and performance scaling.

Real world an intel feels almost twice as fast as an AMD, I promise you that.

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Well Bart, the article was written based on the tests that they performed at the clocks that they were performed. Toms Hardware is actually one of the few sites out there that has little to no bias when they make their claims. You are correct that the 1100T is not the top tier but the one prior so there is still a little room to improve if you have an AMD processor, but the amount of money you will spend on the new motherboard CPU combination won't show you a noticeable improvement. By noticeable, I mean something that you will physically see the difference in. Sure overclocking might help improve the power of the CPU, but if the CPU isn't the bottleneck, then you could run a 6Ghz CPU and still only see slight improvements. If the reason that his fps are only going to the point they are however is because that is all the GPU can provide, then upgrading to more recent ones might show more of an improvement for the money.

As to nVidia or AMD, there have been mixed reviews all over the place as to which performs better with AMD usually coming out on top in most cases. rF2 is more of an exception than a rule as far as that goes. If all you are concerned with is rF2, the yes you might see slightly better performance from nVidia, but if you do other things on your system or play other games, then AMD might be the better option.

As to value for the money, consider this. If you can get 90% of the performance of an Intel chip at 45% of the cost, where is the value of the Intel chip? Sure it can outperform the AMD's but is the extra money for the extra 10% worth it? Some would say no. It really all depends on what you are going to use the system for. It also depends on how much you can budget for. If you have an unlimited budget for the system, then by all means spend the extra to get the absolute best, but if you have to watch the cash, Intel is not the best investment out there.

9. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

AMD is less about straight processing speed and more about multi-core - great virtual server platform - not as good for gaming. Have you ever asked yourself why they are relatively inexpensive compared to Intel?

AMD/ATI cards used to be king but nVidia has knocked their block off recently. Also please note that I have seen no end to people having performance problems with AMD/ATI cards on various game/sim forums. I think the biggest problem is that their drivers are unstable. There is probably nothing actually wrong with the hardware.

10. Oldie

Oldie Registered

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Stupid shooter tests that run at 1280 with no AA so not to push the GPU in turn does not utilize CPU potential just to show core advantage.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=701

edit:

It is all down to utilizing the over-clocking potential or why bother spending the extra on good mobo, ram and cooling.

Over Clocking is where it is at......

Bit of luck and very good cooling you will get both stable @4.5Ghz-5GHz.

So Intel you can get up to 47% increase over base clock speed while AMD gets 25%

Works both ways ;)

If you do not want to overclock what so ever you do not need to buy a expensive motherboard, ram or any cooling so you can afford to spend a lot more on the GPU which in turn pushes fps anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  12. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

I have an AMD 8120 with a 6750, bought it when I decided to get back into PC gaming from a few years on consoles ( I know, I know, I literally missed all of rfactor, I have gone from F1C to the Rfactor 2 beta)... hooked up to my Sony HD 55" tv
    Bought it about a year ago then upgraded from a 6750 to a 7970...
    Nice bump in the usual FPS games, battlefield, borderlands etc

Not a single frame of increase in Arma. Was sad.

Realized that there was no human way possible to enjoy the gaming I wanted on that PC
    Did a ton of research on CPU boss... read reviews... read benchmark tests...
    Built my 3930k and have that hooked up to a Samsung Smart TV 55" 120hz with a 840 Clear motion rate
    It is obviously in a different bracket but it blows away the old computer in the two games I really wanted to enjoy MAX graphics. Arma 3 and Rfactor 2. Every other game it is ridiculously fast... Bioshock Infinite Benchmarks were well over 250 on almost all scenes.

Arma 3 and Rfactor 2 are hovering at 90-120fps at MAX detail. I am not advocating necessarily spending a chuck of change on a new PC unless that is something that is in the budget. What I can say is that I, in my own experience owning both PCs , have found that the INTEL Nvidia combo seems to the be the sweet spot right now... These two games seem to need the system bandwidth and CPU horsepower... I do not believe that this can/will be "optimised" away no matter how many Jelly beans we throw at it.
    I don't like it more than anyone else... I have always had radeons...
    What I can also say is that when I give job references I simply boil it down to one question... Would I rehire the person or not.
    Apply this to a gaming PC and At this time I would not re invest in an amd chip/gpu combo for gaming. Thats my personal feeling based on my experiences which could vary from anothers.

The other thing I would say is Overclocking has gotten to the point where the AVG gamer should seriously consider it. It is much easier with the closed loop systems and they are a breeze to install ( but apparently not re install LOL... that was you DD ;)).

I would build the same computer at the enthusiast level as in my sig.
    At the mid level I would absolutely go with an OCd 3570k with a single 680, or a 690... from my own experience. Two card Sli is not working well in some games, but from what I have seen from 690 owners is that the single card/ dual gpu does not seem to have the scaling issues that dual card sli does right now (correct me if Im wrong and your 690 is sucking here).

13. Oldie

Oldie Registered

This reply shows very plainly that it is absolutely pointless to discuss with someone who obviously have not the slightest idea from the topic!

14. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I had overclocked my old C2D and 8800GT and enjoyed the boost it gave me. It was somewhat tedious (changing BIOS settings) and time consuming (testing with GPU and CPU crunching programs) and I was sure my "new" 2500K CPU and dual GTX560ti 1.28MB 448 cores graphics cards would make overclocking an unnecessary hassle. Well rF2 has shattered that dream. I'm now on the verge of buying a new GPU but before I do I guess I must give the overclocking another try.

So my question is: Is there a preferred overclocking utility I should use. I think my Gigabyte mobo came with something to do this but if it did it is probably outdated. Is there an easy way to overclock the CPU? I see that NV Inspector 1.9.7.2 can overclock a GPU. Should I use that?

I don't want to turn this thread into a tutorial but a point in the right direction could save me some time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
  15. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

Yup and thats a good point... this will take some fiddling and learning and every configuration and even chip will yield different results... I was interested to learn that the overclocking ability of cpus vary widely among the same chips in the same batch. Some guys go so far as to buy 2 or 3 of the same chips, test the OC and then sell the ones that don't OC as well, but this is when they are trying for benchmark records... lol. To each his own :)

It has become easier on the software level but I personally wouldnt physically mess with voltages.
    MSI afterburner seems the tool of choice for a number of people for Gpus. I haven't used it since I use Evga precision X with my EVGA 690.

For Cpu Ocing using the mobo and bios, you should likely use the manufacturers software. U can usually find the latest bios etc and software on the site of the manufacturer. I could easily be wrong on that but it is the safe bet. I use the ASUS software that came with my mobo and it is pretty simple... However as a warning I would note that in my fiddling I got to a point where my PC would attempt to turn on... lock up due to the OC bios settings and reset in a loop that was not cool that I would not want to power down during. My mobo has a hard reset button on the back of the USB interface area and I was able to restore default settings very easily.

As you aware this can be highly frustrating and potentially damaging to the computer so every user does this at their own risk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^------- disclaimer ;)

I would listen to some of the tech gurus on here over what I say... another place to do some research would be on some of the OCing forums... because of the nature of what it is you will want to make sure you have done your research first BEFORE you ever go near attempting it...

edit- When I said closed loop in my previous post I meant the liquid cooling for the cpu... It will be important to have an adequate cooling solution for the increase in temps to preserve cpu life. I likely didn't explain that as well as I should have. Setting up liquid cooling or air cooling has become much easier. There is still a fair bit of research required for each individual setup but once you understand how your configuration works, have it cooled well, and have the right software it works very well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Stupid shooter tests that run at 1280 with no AA so not to push the GPU in turn does not utilize CPU potential just to show core advantage.

lol don't take my post as personal.

I have always thought low res tests are silly. ?

7970 and High End Processor we are talking about 1920 @ High settings.

What do I care or matters to me what it does at 1280 no AA in anything.

;)

The topic should have been " FX8350 or a 3570K combo for rFactor2 "

( Now someone will say why get a 1155 when you can get a 1150 ) lol

Anyways , my thought is a 3570K combo costs only $21 more my shop then the FX-8350 with comparable motherboards.
    990FX tends to be a few dollars dearer then Z77 for same specs.

That makes the Intel combo barely 6% dearer.
    Don't forget if you overclock to factor Intel gets you double the clock speed increase.

Even if you compare the slightly dearer 4670K and 1150 combo it is still a no brainer for mine.

17. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Sorry to ask but when were ATI cards better than Nvidia? I always recall ATI cards being a lot cheaper but as far as actual performance went I thought they always fell a little short... At the very least, I always felt Nvidia's Linux drivers have been a lot better, and maybe that's why I think Nvidia is better :p

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

ATI have held top cards spots take the 9700Pro beat the Ti 4600.

4870 and 5870 were both fastest cards on release among others

It goes back n forth

19. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Offset overclocking is the way forward as far as the CPU is concerned. Everyone should be doing it this way now.

I got my i5 2500k to 4.5GHz quite easily with a negative offset voltage. The voltage ramps up when the CPU needs it and underclocks at idle. Best of both worlds.

Running a constant voltage overclock isn't necessary now.

Also there is no need for an expensive board or cooler to overclock well. Mine aren't.

20. ifrans

ifrans Registered

Can anyone tell me what you would gain with framerates by overclocking a i5 4670k or other gains for racing games?
    System I had in mind:
    i5 4670 (perhaps k)
    asus z87-k, s1150
    8 gb ram 1600
    660ti or 760 nvidea card
    750 watt corsair power supply (to be able to easily upgrade to a 780 or better somewhere in the future)
    A decent cooling system, havent decided yet. (if I would overclock I know I need to buy a very good one)

I'm not a real expert on computers, so if possible I would like to avoid overclocking. If it's a huge advantage I might consider to buy the right parts to be able to overclock somewhere in the future. I will be playing on a television screen.

From what I have been reading I should be able to get around the 100 framerates in RF2 already with this configuration with settings on full. (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    If I would overclock this system that I had in mind, what would be the actual gain?

The way I look at it now I would have more than enough frames already, and not sure if I would notice even more frames per second.

Love to hear your guys opinions on it.