Will this processor run rF2 better?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ccjcc81, Jul 22, 2013.

1. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

An upgrade may be around the corner. I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, but I might get a AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core and a new Mobo to replace it. Obviously this is a faster chip, but will it really be beneficial in rF2? Will rF2 utilize all the cores? My video card is a AMD 7970. I upgraded to that from a 6870, and was disappointed that it didn't offer the improvements I was hoping for. I guess the processor is the bottleneck now, right?

Any suggestions on a different processor in the same price range are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks guys.

2. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Asus AMD 990FX Tuf Sabertooth
    AMD FX-8120 X8 3100MHZ 16MB 125W AM3+
    Kingston 16GB 1600MHz 9-9-9 DDR3 HyperX Red
    MSI Radeon HD 7850 Twin Frozr 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0

Just upgraded myself and all my other sims run awesome with a 90-160fps but rF2 is still in need of optimation. It is better but not as much as I was hoping. rF2 only recognizes 2 cores as far as I know.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Can you sell your CPU/Motherboard ?

Then a upgrade to Ivy Bridge i5 combo would hardly cost more.

If you ask me every 7970 wants a Intel running at 4.5GHz. :)

4. LowRider

LowRider Registered

much the same as every fish needs a bicycle:rolleyes:

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

It would be more useful to list both your before and after pc spec and their respective fps performance to give the OP a better idea of the gains.

6. ifrans

ifrans Registered

I'm interested too in the performance. I was also looking for that option or to go with the pentium option if it doesn't give enough performance.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Unless you plan on overclocking, the upgrade to the FX chip is not going to show you much difference in rF2. The sim is not currently capable of utilizing all 6 of your current cores so the extra on the FX won't make any difference. The only advantage is the .4Ghz faster speed of the CPU which isn't much in comparison.

If you do other things with the PC such as video editing or 3D work, then there will be an advantage as the programs required to do that work will utilize all available cores.

8. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

^
    |
    This

9. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

rf2 runs at 29fps (locked in the plr file) on my machine at all tracks (isi and the usual virtua_LM and feels3) with full detail.

Intel i7 3770
    Nvidia GTX 680 2GB GDDR5
    16 GB DDR3

Try locking your fps in the plr file ... the thing performs much better when fps doesn't jump around. And before people are like blah blah 29fps to slow ... your average TV show / movie displays at 24fps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate), granted it may show the same frame two or three times in a row on your 60hz flatscreen.

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I would say that if you are going to lock the frame rate in your plr file, you should first consider what your lowest frame rate is. It is true that most movies and TV signals are broadcast at 24 fps, the reason is because of motion blur and the lack of fine detail that is normally present in something such as a racing sim. By locking in at 24 fps you are forcing your hardware to sit idle and your input lag is going to be greatly increased due to this.

Run the sim on all the tracks you will likely visit with the settings you are likely to race with and see what your minimum fps is. If you desire to lock in your frame rate at that level, then at that time edit the plr to do so. I would however warn you that minimum fps might only appear once every 100 frames or more, so be careful where you set this. Like everything else, this is going to require a little bit of trial and error in order to get things as smooth as possible.

11. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

I based the 29fps on silverstone performance. It had nothing to do with movies and tv. I just knew where would be people saying less than 60fps is horrible :) I can race 25 AI @ silverstone with full detail and have solid 29fps. I do not experience input lag. I have triple screens btw ... I have wheel on but locked in position so I can see tach/shift indicators and so on in some cars.

BTW - the reason I locked my framerate was to get rid of:

90fps --> 10fps --> 90fps oscillations. It doesn't do that now. It just stays at 29fps.

12. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I have recently upgraded from a PhenomII x4 B50 running at 3.6ghz to an i5 4670k @ 4ghz with a GTX670. Its hard to put a number on it but with the phenom I used to get <60-120+ fps, some more CPU heavy tracks never getting higher than 90 or so, less heavy tracks ranging from 100-120. With the i5 I now get above 100 on CPU heavy tracks and near enough solid 120 everywhere else.
    And just my 2 cents, 29fps does seem a bit low, but each to their own, I put up with terrible tearing and stuttering for the first year I had the game.

13. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

I will do that sorry My son has my old pc :eek:

14. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

Hi,

does anyone have som informations wether upgrading just cpu or just gpu gives more performance boost?

I do have a cor i5 2500k @ 3.3 and a radeon HD 6950 2gb and especially in silverstone the frame drops down to 20 fps with opponents at max detail.

I could imagine, that in my case a new graphic card would help more. What do you think?

15. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

16. ifrans

ifrans Registered

From what I understood it doesn't make much of a difference to move up to I7, what I have been reading is that the I7 can hyperthread, which makes the cpu think that there are 8 cores instead of 4. Rfactor2 uses only 2 cores and I believe most games don't use more than 4. So the right I5 processor should do the job fine.

And that is the right I5, it has very good framerates in the test i have seen with games, comparable with a lot of I7's. There is also another I5, with an 1150 socket. This one has 1155. From what I heard the 1155 socket is not gonna last for a long time, because they are being replaced by the 1150. But don't know how long the motherboards with socket 1155 will stay compatible with the newest processors. (if you want to upgrade the processor in the future without changing motherboard)

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

To answer those questions above, first, upgrading to the 7XXX series is likely to result in more of a performance boost than changing your CPU. The next gen graphics are faster and nicer.

Second, the reason that the i5 is listed as the best option for gaming is based on price vs performance. The performance of the i7 as compared to the i5 for gaming does not justify the some times massive increase in the cost of the CPU. If you do other things on your system such as video editing or 3D modeling and rendering, then by all means, get the i7 if you can afford it.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What use was that seriously.

You buy a 7970 you are STUPID not to buy a INTEL

ok ok ok got it :)

What you want me to lie ? lol

19. Bart S

Bart S Member

just buy an intel, it will last you 3 times longer than any amd.

20. Bart S

Bart S Member

Thats a mighty fine processor but wasted unless overclocked, overclock it to 4.4ghz then compare your fps then get a gpu if you need one. Dont bother upgrading your cpu if your considering it, you wont get much better its all about the overclock.