Settings, skins and set ups gone!

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Pumbaa666, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

One day, all is well, next day, all is gone...

There's really nothing more to tell... I just booted up my PC the next day and decided to look for a skin that I had downloaded prior on a server and my entire settings folder was empty, nothing... Booted up the game and all the mods/tracks were there, loaded up a track to see if the set ups would be still there only to find my graphics, controls and other settings were all default...

Build 240 is the build I'm on... I auto updated...

I didn't run any malware or anti-virus scans in between sessions, just surfed the net before bed...

This also happened to a mate of mine the week before it happened to me...

I decided to download the full installer and do a fresh install... If it happens again I'll report in this thread again...

2. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

I can confirm that this happened to me the week before. In the afternoon all was well and in the evening when I restarted the game all was gone. Control settings and graphics settings at default and skins and setups gone.

3. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

Well now both of our credentials (appdata/roaming/.rfactor/rFactor.credentials) file had gone for a walk...

Couldn't get on to multiplayer after shutting the game down, making some tweaks to a mod, then opening it back up again, thought little off it as I could still check the car in single player as I had planned to, then after the 5th changes/test I decided to look around in my files just in case...

Luckily after the first files disappearance we both backed up our appdata folders... so we just slotted them back in and it worked... But then after closing the game, it disappeared again...

Gonna be bloody annoying to do that if I need to back out because of a driver swap issue...

4. rer8

rer8 Registered

If you have not already made the .credentals file "read only" you might consider doing so. So far, I have not had to re-enter my email and password since doing this. Credit goes to another poster.

5. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

My settings folder and all contents also disappeared....not a happy chappy tbh

6. ifrans

ifrans Registered

7. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Had this happen as we'll and although I've no clue what caused it I thought I'd share something I had done just prior to the occurrence... Could be useless info but,

Since we had just finished a league series I deleted our rfmod. Then later that afternoon I realized I needed some screenies from one of the races and had to reinstall the rfmod to play the replay from the server. Like I said, probably useless intel but its the only thing I did that was out of the ordinary.
    My settings folder was still present but nothing inside of it. I didn't physically delete its contents just the rfmod.