Whats my bottle neck? Detail or Shader Settings have little to no effect on FPS

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Hermmie, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Hey folks. I'm out of ideas with rF2 at the moment, i recently compared settings and FPS with a buddy of mine, and i get almost half of the FPS that he is getting, despite having a better GPU.

My System Specs ( only the important stuff i guess ) :

AMD Phenom II X4 840 CPU, Quadcore with 3.20ghz each
    ASUS M4A88T-M Mainboard
    8 GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 Ti 2gb OC Edition
    Running on Win 7 64bit

My Friend has a very similar CPU, Phenom II ,but X6, also 3.20ghz each. 16 GB of RAM, Geforce GTX 560, also Win 7 64bit.

We compared our FPS using the same settings in rF2:

rfdetail.jpg

Resolution is 1920x1080 32bits, 60hz, HDR on, FXAA off

Sitting still in Sebring Pits, i get 46 FPS. My buddy gets 67 fps. What makes me curious, is that even if i bump down all detail to medium, reflections to low or off, i still dont get more than roughly 10 fps more. How is this possible? Why does my GPU give less FPS than my buddys? It should at least be the same, although i have an 660 Ti and he has a regular 560, it should be better.

I already run the latest drivers, just tried a fresh install of rF2, but i still cant manage more fps. Turning HDR off has no effect for me on fps, neither has the FXAA setting.

Does anyone have a tip or an idea, why i cant get as many fps?

2. Takumi

Takumi Registered

Are you both using mirrors? I am AMD gpu user (7850), but I gain over 40 fps by turning mirros off. Game engine seems to be pretty tricky so there can be many reasons ur fps difference.

3. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

Hmmm ... the 840 is not really a Phenom II, even if AMD named it that way.
    It's more like a Athlon II and didn't have the 3rd. Level cache. As a consequence the 840 is much slower in many applications as a real Phenom II. Don't know if rfactor 2 could be one of those applications, but it's possible.

The lack of fps gain, if you reduce your settings is imho also a indication that your cpu could be the bottleneck.

I would make a test and run the game in lowest possible resolution, without AA/AF, and see what happens.

4. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Honestly, no i didn't know about L3 Cache, i will try to overclock my cpu to see if it makes any difference, as well as lowest possible resolution without details and stuff

edit:

I tried the lowest possible resolution and detail settings, i get 78 fps. Tried to overclock my cpu from 3.20 ghz to 3.50 ghz, gained 5 fps.

Might ask my buddy if we can try to put his cpu in my computer to see if that really is the main problem, before i run off to buy a new cpu.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
  5. Armando

Armando Registered

Which is the lowest resolution, 800x600 or less?
    78 fps is too low for that resolution and mininum detail settings.
    Turn the mirrors off to see if there is a change in fps.

6. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Yeah it was 800x600. I tried to disable mirrors, that gives +10 fps

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Sebring is very CPU intensive. Upgrading my GPU from GTX570 to GTX670 didn't help, but I got big speedup there when I upraded from AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4GHz to Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.6 GHz

8. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

I had my buddy test out my cpu, he had the exact same results. Well, it really was my cpu after all. I got a used Phenom II X4 965 Black for a pretty good price and went with that, since i don't really have alot of cash at the moment. Fps now go up into the 100's on Sebring!

Thanks alot for your help