Connection lost

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BLIISS, Jul 8, 2013.

1. BLIISS

BLIISS Registered

hi i post here because i'm desesperate! I get several "Connection lost" when i play online.. its first game where i get this problem.
    it happens without significating elements...

My computer is quite good ( 2500K@4.3GHZ -GTX 580 superclock - SSD 128go - 8GB DDR3), my adsl modem/router also (Netgear D6300 @ 20 mgbit & 20ms[french provider]). My local network is base on CPL plugs( internet by electricty systeme), i never had a problem with it and i change them 2month ago.

I tried to see if my internet network is the probleme but i dont think so cause i lunched at the same time RF2 and HLSW ( server monitoring tool) and i compare them when i get a "Connection lost" in rf2 to the hlsw. Sadly my connection is stable at 20ms at any time.
    I tried to reinstall the game, but nothing changed... I dont know what to do know, may be rf2 get crash report like minidump?

Thx for you help

2. Armando

Armando Registered

If the Internet connection is OK, I would check if a firewall can be interfering.
    Try to deactivate any firewall or antivirus you have on your PC, and also check your router's firewall, if it is enabled.

3. dandar

dandar Registered

4. BLIISS

BLIISS Registered

I dont think so because i setup my router as dmz to my computer, i dont have antivirus expect microsoft essential! i tried to turn off but nothing changed...

edit: my MTU was setup to 1500 on my computer and router. i changed to 1464..

do you think PPOA is better than PPOE?

thx

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Definently a bug in build 240.

Haven't changed my internet settings in any way and have had few connection losses since build 240.

6. Armando

Armando Registered

You shouldn't have to change the MTU unless there is a problem in your router.
    PPPoA is not better than PPPoE, they are just different PPP connection methods that can be used depending on your provider's infrastructure. Normally you can use only one (the one pre-configured in the router by your provider), so don't worry about that.

Try to check the threads that dandar has linked, maybe something there works for you.

7. Aleksi Elomaa

Aleksi Elomaa Registered

I still have problems with my connection if my rFactor launcher is on. Huge lagging and discos etc. For some reason if I use 3g I have no problems, but with my ADSL it doesn't really work. So I could try to enable that feature in rF launcher that it shuts down after successful start of the sim.

8. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Same issue. I just came back from 2 disconnects from public server :( Never experianced that with previous builds.

9. kro388th

kro388th Registered

You probably already tried this but have you set your proper bandwidth within the game > ? mine defaulted to IDSL from a fresh install , once i changed it to cable and added my up/down speeds (actually just under for head room) i haven't had any disconnects while playing , I was getting some ctd's (not connection lost) after the race when game would switch tracks, but at that time i had my CPU slightly over clocked from 3.2 to 3.4 , once i changed back to 3.2 no more ctd's between track changes, again it wasn't all the time but now it doesn't ctd at all .. just some info to ponder ....

10. maxredbull

maxredbull Registered

try this ...
    Some time ago I had the same concern after making a whole new intalation own.

in Multiplayer.ini
    Jeux/rfactor2/userdata/player C :/ / ...

put these lines at the beginning

"
    //[[gMa1.002f (c)2013 ]] [[ ]]
    [MULTIPLAYER]
    [ Multiplayer General Options ]
    Net Connection Type="4" // 0=28k, 1=56k, 2=ISDN, 3=128kbps cable/dsl 4=256+kbps cable/dsl, 5=LAN, 6=custom
    Upstream Rated KBPS="256" // Rated uploading speed of connection, in kilobits per second
    Downstream Rated KBPS="256" // Rated downloading speed of connection, in kilobits per second
    "
    I Connection Type = 3 and Upstream and Donwstream = 128
    and after having changed more connection problem ^ ^

11. BLIISS

BLIISS Registered

Thanks for your help all !

I tried with 1464 MTU and i was already at Net Connection Type="4" and nothing changed !

i still was in 128 in up and downstream i will try again tonight with 256!

do you know a way to test my onboard lan controller? it integreted to my motherboard and she is verygood (asus extreme)
    or maybe my SSD thats the only point i can expect the game itself !

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I hosted my server tonight and didn't have connection losses turing our 2 hour session.

So the bug is pretty random...

13. dandar

dandar Registered

To test your NIC you will need a second PC or a second adapter, there is a way to test a NIC using a null cross-cable but those test will tell you everything is fine no mater what. Anyway I dont believe that your NIC is faulty, I bet you got some "micro-cuts" (don't know the exact english term for that) translated in human lang is when your router/ISP/or something in the middle losses packets.
    You could test the packet loss in a generic way doing a ping to a robust server let's say your ISP dns (if they allow and respond to ping) then try to ping google web or dns servers (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) and finally ping the server you want to join.
    ( here is a small guide http://www.wikihow.com/Test-Network-and-Internet-Latency-(Lag)-in-Microsoft-Windows )

Unstable connections are hard to test because you first need to identify where is the fault, example:
    1) Packet Loss: (The chance of losing IP packets while data travels through the internet)
    2) Latency: (The time it takes to an IP packet to arrive to a certain server)
    3) Jitter: (Changes in latency over time)

14. Alden Edwards

Alden Edwards Registered

I'm suffering from the same problem, at times i can try to connect 10+ times in a row and just end up closing the game out of frustration.
    I'll try some of the suggestions here and report back if they help.

15. BLIISS

BLIISS Registered

thx for your help.

I tried your way but 0 pacaket lost ... after 2x 100 request each !!
    i also played rfactor 1 on drm last night about 2h without problem !

So i definitly think there is a big issue with RF2!

edit 1: same probleme on ther server, other mod, others track !

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
  16. maxredbull

maxredbull Registered

I do not know if you've managed to settle your problem but I have it now, and I try to change the connection type in the multiplayer and nothing works

my video: http://youtu.be/t7QvhIh9noA

TIM HELP ME!!

17. Alden Edwards

Alden Edwards Registered

I personally haven't solved the problem I'm just hoping I don't suffer from it with the next update, I just play my other games online as they work fine.

18. BLIISS

BLIISS Registered

its happen to me also on rfactor 1 now.. only on rf1 & rf2 ! and never disconnected from teamspeak 3 for example...

19. Alden Edwards

Alden Edwards Registered

Still suffering from the same problem seems to have become even worse now, I must connect to a server about 1 out of 20 times or something ridiculous. On every other game I own I can connect with np this is the only game that refuses to work online this is beyond frustrating, I don't play single player and it seems like you need a degree in computer science just to connect to a server. The amount of time I've wasted trying suggestions on here and trying to connect to servers is ridiculous, who cares if the games good if you cant play it. Absolute joke.

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

What are those other games which work? Do any have the multiplayer requirements of rF2 to allow a comparison?

Are you using any plugins? Which ones? Have you tried disabling them?

What kind of PC are you using? What kind of connection? Wired or wireless?

Have you contacted your ISP to have them check your connection? What did they say? Did you ask them if they block you in any way, ports or speed?