Mipmap, HIGH <--> FULL Settings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coanda, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Coanda

Coanda Registered

G'Day,

I am seeking some clarification regarding texture details whilst using build 240 in offline mode.

370z cockpit texture comparison:-

Low Res:-

370z_LOW_RES.jpg

High Res:-

370z_HIGH_RES.jpg

As a test I set the in game "Player Detail" setting to Full however I was still only seeing the Low resolution cockpit as per the example. I then changed my MipMap detail level from Performance to Quality in CCC which then did have a positive impact as the High resolution cockpit was then being used. Whilst leaving my MipMap detail level setting to Quility or High Quality I then changed the in game "Player Detail" setting back down to High which then made the cockpit revert back to using the Low resolution cockpit.

Is this behaviour correct as I would assume that setting your in game "Player Detail" settings to High would not use the Low resolution cockpit and maybe a setting of Low/Medium would?

As you can appreciate there is a considerable difference in quality between each cockpit.

Cheers

mm

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2013
  2. john gianni

john gianni Registered

Any Impact on FPS?

3. Coanda

Coanda Registered

I would presume so however I would have to run tests and check over the GPU-Z log file as I have my rF2 config capped at 40FPS.

4. Coanda

Coanda Registered

G'Day,

Could someone please confirm that this is correct behaviour?

Cheers

mm

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Not sure if it's "correct", but I get the same - I'd like to use a lower polycount player vehicle but still having hires textures, don't see how that's possible right now... :S

BTW, that avatar of yours... looks totally like Eddie Jordan checking out a pair :p

6. Plebre

Plebre Registered

A nice pair.
    If I turn textures settings to Full it load low res. High level it's ok.
    I have an ATI 5700 series with 1 Gb vĂ­deo mem. And 4 Gb system mem.

7. MJP

MJP Registered

Putting hires textures on a lower detail model is often a good trick and yes it's possible just as it was in rF1, check these lines in the PLR.
    Code:
    Player Detail="3"
    Player Texture Override="-1" // For player's vehicle textures: -1=use Player Detail, 0-3=override value
    Opponent Detail="1"
    Opponent Texture Override="3" // For opponents' vehicle textures: -1=use Opponent Detail, 0-3=override value
    Of course a bit like the 'auto detail fps' option this tends to work better on cars that are less likely to need it (plenty of lower LOD models, well set up GEN files) and less well on cars with say only 1 or even no lower LOD models.

B240 online does seem a bit hit and miss for me (only been on 1 server though) some opponents seem to have hi-res textures and some lo-res textures!