from 3Ds MAx to Rfactor

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by laffarguee, Jul 1, 2013.

1. laffarguee

laffarguee Registered

Hello from France,

I'm looking the forum but i didn't arrived to export from 3Ds max to Rfactor using GMotor plugin.
    Pleeease help me.

I juste would like import the track for 3ds MAx to Rfactor

I have Windows 7, 3DS MAx 2012 and GMT converter 2.52n.

I put the 3 files Converter_v25.dlu, Material_V25.dlt and texture_V25.dlt inside the folder : .../3ds Max 2012/stdplugs/
    I put the file CoreShaders.mas inside the folder .../3ds Max 2012/hardwareshaders

When i'm opening 3DS max i have,n on the right side the GMT Converter.
    When i'm opnening the material library i don't find Gmotor material

If i trie to export the track using GMT converter i have the message : "Top level material MUST be Multi.sub"

Could you tell me what i have to do for arriving to export my track in Rfactor

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

The readme really tells you everything you need to know, just read that and follow it step by step.

3. laffarguee

laffarguee Registered

This one ? :
    Note: gMaterial and gTexture plugins do not work with new slate material editor, please use the compact material editor.

New Feature: gMaterial plugin now uses ShaderGFX.mas to get it's shader list. This is an unencrypted mas with shader description files.

New Feature: The first time the Material Editor is launched and a gMaterial is selected, you will be prompted for the location of the ShaderGFX.mas file. Use ModDev\Shared or Core\Shared as you locations. The gMaterial editor has a button at the bottom to reset this location. After restarting Max, you will be prompted for a new location.

I don't have any windows about the gMaterial to select it
    Where is the button to reset the location ?

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is probably because you put the plugin files in the wrong folder, you put them in /3ds Max 2012/stdplugs/ if I read your post correctly. They should go in /3ds Max 2012/plugins/ :)

5. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

As it says, the top material must be a multi material, my english is not the best so i try with the languaje of images.

The material in image says "standart" but it must be a "gmotor", you get the idea.

View attachment 8503

6. laffarguee

laffarguee Registered

Seems to be ok.What do you think about that ?
    How long will take the process ?

View attachment 8504

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

You do need to setup all of the materials you want to use for your objects and realroad. This isn't going to work since nothing has been actually setup.

Check out a tutorial on the material editor :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNaXrWcbQfw

It might also be a good idea to download the Joesville example files from the mod downloads topic!

8. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Take the road material and put into the multi-material, this must be a gmotor material not just the name, looks like you dont have materials into the multi-mat, maybe you must follow the advice of wgeuze :)

9. laffarguee

laffarguee Registered

10. dandar

dandar Registered

@laffarguee you need to manually install the SDK tools available at rFactor2\Support\Tools\Plugins\Max 2012, if u don't have the SDK then you could download it from http://downloads.imagespaceinc.com/rf2/rFactor2_SDK_240.exe
    Note that the sdk is located in the config folder not in program files\rfactor2.

Edit 1:
    I've got some issues running 3d max the 64 bits version, 32 bits works just fine.

Edit 2:
    Sub material type must be ( gMat ) rather than ( Autodesk Generic )

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  11. laffarguee

laffarguee Registered

The 4 files from sdk are installed :
    Ai took the files from .../max 2012/
    I put the 3 files Converter_v25.dlu, Material_V25.dlt and texture_V25.dlt inside the folder : .../3ds Max 2012/stdplugs/
    I put the file CoreShaders.mas inside the folder .../3ds Max 2012/hardwareshaders

I have to do other operations ?

I'm in 32 bit
    The problem is that i have not the gMat type in my library.

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Do you actually read what people post in here? :p

You are placing the plugins in the wrong folder to begin with, and you don't have to place coreshaders in the hardwareshaders folder, just as it says in the readme.txt

13. dandar

dandar Registered

Alright, well I've used the folder plugins instead of stdplugs but that's ok anyway. CoreShaders.mas is not used anymore inside the hardwareshaders, when ur going to use the GMT Converter to export your model for the first time will ask to point the plugin to the
    Shaders folder, then select:
    rFactor2\Core\Shared
    or
    rFactor2\ModDev\Shared
    This will use the unencrypted file ShaderGFX.mas

So now you open 3d max, select the mesh, press M for material editor, as I can see in your screenshot your materials have Multi/Sub Object selected wich is correct, then you have a sub material (called Wet with the type "Autodesk Generic") so in order to change that, clic the button named Wet "Autodesk Generic", then open your Material/Map browser and choose "gMotorMaterial", once selected is abbreviated as gMat and you are done.

Please note that gMaterial and gTexture plugins do not work with new slate material editor, use the compact material editor instead.

Also note that gMotor engine uses Multi/Sub materials but only 1 submaterial is supported at this time (as I could see in your screenshot your mat.editor has Wet and ng1 and you only need to use 1 lets say Wet). Once you select a submaterial as a gMotorMaterial you could add the extra maps (instead of using more than 1 submaterial for the multimaterial material lol).

14. laffarguee

laffarguee Registered

Excuse, i copy the text without changing the path. I move the files from stdplugs to plugin

15. dandar

dandar Registered

Extra note: I remember that sometimes 3d max neglects to show the gMotorMaterial over the Material/Map Browser, just make sure to check the option "Incompatible" wich is available in the group "Show" inside the Material/Map Browser.
    Please be kind to post back if you have solved the issue.

16. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I have had a case where someone was using 3dsmax archdesign with the gMotor tools, that software was indeed incompatible.

It should just show up, you really can't do anything wrong setting this up, just a matter of placing everything in the right folder, that is all you have to do for the plugins to work in 3dsmax.

Judging from screenshots, I get the feeling OP has no clue about 3dsmax, and consequently doesn't know what to look for.

When you create a multisub material, and going into a sub-material, you can choose what kind of material it should be, right now I see you have standard max materials. In that same list it is you can choose the gMotor material.

Check out this video for more information

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  17. dandar

dandar Registered

@wgeuze I can assure you that sometimes the gMotorMaterial does not appear in the material/Map Browser if you don't enable the "Incompatible" option, that's why I don't dare to say that the OP has no clue about 3dsmax
    ... sh|t happens :D

18. laffarguee

laffarguee Registered

Hey, when i'm opening a new project i have it.
    It say now that no texmap defined. Where i could do it ?
    View attachment 8511

19. dandar

dandar Registered

On your matedit select the road gmat scroll to shader select T1 (for testing) scroll to textures and clic on Map # then choose a bitmap for that material.

20. laffarguee

laffarguee Registered

Thank you for all :)

wow it's not easy to finalyse the files
    Now i'm an error when i tried to make scene file
    an idee ?
    View attachment 8512