lost wheel in Build 240

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by mospider, Jun 29, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Could it be an update to Windows that coincided with Build 240 that's potentially causing the problems? Maybe there was a Windows USB Controller Update or something, no idea msyelf just throwing that out there in case there's a link somehow :)

2. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

Thank you, Terence. I disconnected on of my DSD button boxes and the problem has been resolved. I had 5 controllers attached when I got the problem.

Cheers!

d

3. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

It's possible, and I think I did see one suggestion along that line. But from what I gather, the flight sim joystick problems in Win 8 have been there forever.

It's also possible that it's a combination of things. Build 240 was our first rF2 build using a newer compiler; perhaps the earlier ones (with older runtimes and so forth) didn't expose some underlying compatibility issue. I'm checking out some theories.

4. Terence Groening

Great. In case you missed it, this should be fixed in the next build.

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

My T500RS has now been working since I installed the new drivers. Though today there was one disconnection, but after that it was again ok in situations where it disconnected earlier.

something weird is going on.

6. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

That's even better news - multiple controller support is big!!! Thank you, ISI and team!

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Another theory is that it is Windows 8, dunno how I'd forgotten this but I used to get Controller issues in FIFA13 ever since I upgraded from Windows 7, like in RF2 I'd simply lose the controller in game and have to restart. I got into the knack of saving after every game and that seemed to fix the issue (hence forgot about it).

I have also reinstalled Windoes 8 fresh since Build 240 and was getting the lost controller beforehand so I know it's nothing my end, my fingers are beginning to point towards Windows 8 but hopefully you'll find something :)

8. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I have lost steering a few times in the past. Posted about quite a while ago, probably with version 107 or a build or two after that.
    At the time, I appeared to be the only one having the trouble because no one else replied with the same issue. I recall Event Viewer in Win Vista Ultimate x64 was saying it was Logitech Monitor (can't remember exactly what it was called) stopped working. It first appeared using a new G27 that I bought when I got rF2. After 3 weeks and having it happen a few times, I returned the G27 thinking something was wrong with it. I began using my old G25 and it happened a few more times with that wheel too (so the G27 wasn't faulty, I don't guess).

Anyway, once I found that logitech monitor was crashing, I disabled it and I don't believe I ever lost steering after that. I had to manually set my wheels rotation for different cars, but never lost steering again, that I can recall.

My last rF2 playing was with version 146. I have been working out of town for a few months and just now getting settled in at home again. I haven't gotten to play any yet, but will be sure to get my wheel out and play some, hopefully starting tomorrow evening.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my experiences to this thread since recently more people along with different wheels and OS version are reporting loss of steering too.

EDIT:
    LWEMon.exe is what was crashing. I renamed it to LWEMon.exeDIS to disable it and I don't believe I lost steering anymore after doing that. I do recall I had the latest version of logi software at the time. I will check to see if anything more recent has been released since then and try it out.

It may be unrelated to what others are experiencing, or it may be something in rF2 having problems interacting with wheel manufactures software.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  9. TMoney

TMoney Registered

Add me to the list, G25 and win 8 64-bit. I spent this weekend going crazy trying to figure out the problem, which included rolling back from win 8.1 preview to doing a full install of win 8. I tried everything you could imagine in attempt to rectify this issue I'd rather not mention as my fingers would likely fall off. I thought I had this nailed when finding some of the settings in the player/controller config file. Real time controller detection (change to 0 if causes problems), I thought for sure this would fix it, but no.

Anyway I'm glad to hear after spending my entire weekend uninstalling and re-installing EVERYTHING that this will be fixed in the next build. Any thoughts on how much longer we need to wait? If it's a while maybe there is a hotfix we can do? There seem to be a lot of us with this (very frustrating) issue. Thanks.

BTW, it's build 300 not 240 for me.

10. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

You can disable LWEMon.exe like I did. It may work for you too. You will have to manually set your rotation, as it will not automatically set it with LWEMon disabled. Other than that, everything else appears to be fully functional.
    Hopefully it will work for you too. If it does, please let us know.

BTW, did you check Event Viewer and see if any log was recorded when the steering quit?

11. Ensi Ferrum

Ensi Ferrum Registered

I am also having the issue that my wheel is lost when I return from the track to the main menu.
    Sometimes it looses FFB when returning from the track to the pits.
    - Fanatec Porsche GT3 RS V2 (Driver 1.70 beta, FW 758B)
    - Clubsport Pedals
    - Windows 8 x64

Other Hardware:
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz OC 4.9 GHz
    8,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 686MHz (9-9-9-24)
    ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (LGA1155)
    GeForce GTX 580
    GeForce GTX 460
    Creative Sound Blaster Z
    Cyborg M.M.O.7 Mouse
    Logitech G19
    1 x Samsung T27B300
    2 x ASUS VW224
    TIR 5.2.200

12. Terence Groening

Posting again, because my previous reply didn't seem to show up ... we have *not* found a solution to this problem yet (what I said was fixed above was a separate problem with having more than 4 controllers plugged in). We continue to try experiments with our testers, none of which have worked yet.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Can only presume the testers have Windows 8 64-bit?! I'll gladly help to get this problem sorted regardless, just shout if you need it. :)

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If it helps as Tim alluded to different USB Drivers for different motherboards in another thread:
    Gigabyte: Z77-D3H

15. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

In my case:

Motherboard Name •Manufacturer: Pegatron
    •Manufacturer name: IPMMB-FM
    •HP name: Formosa

Front and Top Productivity Ports •Front I/O: 15-in-1 media card reader + 4 USB 2.0
    •Top I/O: 2 USB 3.0 + headphone jack + microphone jack

And the wheel is T500RS.

WIN 8 64 bit OS.

16. flitzi

flitzi Registered

b300

same here with Fanatec CSW, Win8, Z77 board

disabling the Realtime Controller Detection in the controller.ini helped that it doesn't occur while racing, but about every second time after the track is changed by the server the wheel is dead :(

Hope you find a fix soon.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
  17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Can you post your OS and MB info too please, anythig to help ISI track this down, ta :)

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Calling everyone with 64-Bit Windows 8; I had a few trials yesterday to produce this issue for Terence but I could not get it anymore, which of course could be perceived as a good thing but maybe not if it comes back again. As this was the first time I've properly tried for 10+ days there were the inevitable Windows Updates inbetween (earlier this week), I'm now wondering whether thats just coincidence or something has "fixed itself" somehow.
    So are you still getting controller losses after the windows updates?
    I'll be racing more tonight & tomorrow to see if it comes back.