Custom track markers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Krayzi, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Krayzi

Krayzi Registered

Is there any way (either natively or via a plugin) to place multiple custom markers on a track, whether that be some dimensioned object like pylons or a flat overlay/decal on the track surface itself? I'm not expecting an in-game interface to set locations, so some level of out-of-game work, like entering coordinates into an INI file for example, would be easy enough. Or would I have to modify the track model itself each time I wanted to do that?

2. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I could also see myself using that feature as well.

How about we can get out of the car, like in netkar pro, walk around the track, and place cones where needed?

I think it would be an intuitive way to place them.

Good suggestion, I hope it sees the light one day!

3. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

yes, it would be a very useful feature. But I am inclined to believe that it will not.
    Although it would be technically possible to do it. MAS file with a specific set of objects and automatically created for *. scn Layout

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

racers also cant do that, neither shoud you :)

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah cant see it being that easy to implement as the code to write in order to read the tracks mas files would be....a waste of time IMO.
    If you find it hard just simply practice more, nowt else you can do I'm afraid.

6. Krayzi

Krayzi Registered

Racing schools, law enforcement training, and even high school driver ed both tend to make rather extensive use of cones as a teaching tool.

You do hint at a good point, though: I would personally only want this feature available in practice mode. I would not want some drivers enabling it during qualy or race. I guess I'd be OK with it configurable on the server, if someone wants to set up a driving school type of thing.

My motivation for this feature is actually a lot less interesting (to some): vehicle/track setup testing. With data logging, I'd like to be able to (for example) drive the red line, then the blue, then the green, and compare the results. It's easy to just get behind the wheel and drive a good line with a cursory review of the track map, but the best line is often far from obvious, even for experienced pilots, considering differences in suspension, tyre load, surface irregularities, elevation, camber, complex corner sequences, etc.

This is not necessarily to you, but if one could, say, "drive the red line", then the blue, then the yellow, and pull it all up in i2 Pro or similar, much more could be learned--and learned quickly--about each section than via the typical ad-hoc "try to apex turn 3 a little sooner" approach, as that is asking the driver to think about two sets of indirect reference points--the previous lap, and current lap. Compare "turn in a foot before that tree lines up with the nose" with "turn in as soon as the blue line right on the pavement disappears from view under the car". Much more precise, no memory required, no approximate distance judgement, full use of peripheral vision (and hence more attention on the road ahead = much easier to drive near the limit, quickly). As usual, once the optimal line is established most drivers will quickly rid themselves of the marks and let the car sort out the fine details according to the usual changes in grip/weight/track that happen during a race. Again, for me, anyway, this would be primarily an analysis tool to help quickly zero in on a fast line, though the other applications are huge, too. Yes, you can arrive at the same result with indirect reference points and intuition, but giving the virtual driver the equivalent of a box of chalk or a boot full of cones I personally don't see as being anything terribly unrealistic.

Come to think of it, if this was configured server-wide, teams could easily set up their own autocross or training courses. Leagues could brand events with their own logo/URL/sponsors. Track designers would gain a rapid prototyping tool. The potential applications would be relatively far reaching.