Well rFactor 2 just screwed me over !!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1Racer, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F1Racer

F1Racer Registered

Issues with build 228 update

So something went wrong with the 228 manual update that I did from the GUI. It still completed though.

In-game whenever I go to track or to the showroom, its just black. Sounds are there, game is running but no visuals.

Then I do a 'verify' on the manual update section and there are many many files that have failed the check.
    What are my options.... can I update again from within the game ? Nope, cos the game says I'm up to date. It doesn't seem to care that most of my files have failed the verify check, it won't offer me the chance to redownload the last patch again.

So... all I can think of to do is download the 'lite' installed of 228. I do that and install ONLY the core files.
    And now (unlike rF1) I have lost all of my mods according to mod manager. The mod manager has only 3 mods there and all 3 are damaged.

Gee thanks !

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2013
  2. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Don't be drama queen. Just turn off your FXAA.

3. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Well my brother updated via the auto-update today, and all went fine...
    I was going to tell him to do a fresh intall with 228 lite, but he had already pushed the update button and all went fine. And fast. And everything is working.

However, the 'verify' told me that all my files failed once, but game worked flawlessly. I don't thing that verifier works, does it?

Just save your package folder and delete current install. And install 228 lite. Then paste your package folder into the new one and I'm sure mod manage will find all your mods.

But you did update from b218? i don't think it works for older builds...

4. F1Racer

F1Racer Registered

Heh, you think that was drama ?

Anyhow it wasn't the FXAA cos I don't enable that.

5. F1Racer

F1Racer Registered

@Hedlund_90 Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it's a bit late now. I decided to just uninstall it all and have deleted my packages folder. I just fancied a quick go and dont plan to be up all night sorting this out so I`ll move on to something else.

6. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Look for build 228 thread, there were some guys with same black screen problem. They fixed it with some tweaks.

I also auto-updated and had no issues during or after whatsoever. Everything was as it should be.

7. F1Racer

F1Racer Registered

I wasn't blaming the procedure. I'm just saying that something went wrong for ME. So it's irrelevant if it works for others really.
    But at least I know in the future not to enable FXAA if I ever decide to use it. Maybe by the time I'm back on rF2 broken things will be fixed.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hmm... your packages folder doesn't change when you install things, so you could have uninstalled and cleaned out everything except your packages, installed the lite 228, and reinstalled all the mods. You didn't lose anything until you went deleting.

It probably pays to have a little patience sometimes.

9. F1Racer

F1Racer Registered

Well that's not how it worked out. My packages folder (the one you stick em in temporarily while you install) was empty anyway as I remove the files from there once the mods/components are in. Otherwise it's wasted HDD space. What I deleted was the actual folder where all the mods were. Did that deliberately because I wanted it gone. I'm ok with patience. It's tolerance that I don't have a lot of.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Let's say you lack both. 20 mins after your first post that people might have been able to help you from you already deleted your downloads. It can take longer than that to get a decent setup going on a car, so probably best you move on anyway.

11. Adrian

Adrian Registered

could you restore the packages folder from the recycle bin? or is it gone from there as well?

12. F1Racer

F1Racer Registered

No let's not say that. I think I know myself better than anyone else.
    To be honest I wasn't asking for help with my first post. Just wanted to vent and highlight some broken areas of rF2.

13. F1Racer

F1Racer Registered

Heh, no. I did a permanent deletion. I don't really want them back right now Adrian. Gonna take an rF2 timeout for a while. I've never gelled with it as a sim yet so maybe this is a good thing.

14. prunn

prunn Registered

welcome to the club m8 :rolleyes:

15. F1Racer

F1Racer Registered

Thanks LOL :D

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

For the records, I joined rf2 at build 198, shortly after it was released, and I updated to 218 (by downloading the lite package, and installing on top) and then from 218 to 228 using the auto updater, and I got all ISI's tracks and cars, plus various other tracks and cars, and all went fine.

The only glitch I had from updating, is my 198 ghosts aren't showing properly on 228, I must beat my previous ghosts and then they appear fine when created from 228.

I kept my player directory from when I started, and I'm now at 8123 laps done overall...

So far so good for me...

Sorry to hear you are having problems, but you should take time to sort them out... cause honestly, you will have to settle for a sub par sim otherwise, as nothing come close to rf2 as of now, imo. (And trust me, I'm not really the fanboy type, and I play other racing sim/games as well... but rf2 is a must for any hardcore sim racer.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The update didn't work for you. You're not the first, probably won't be the last.

Everything else you posted ("rF2 screwed me over" etc) wasn't needed. Not saying you can't post what you want of course, but if you weren't looking for help or sympathy all you've done is made your own (perhaps not unique, and certainly not unprecedented in previous builds) issue public with no apparent suitable response except agreeing that rF2 sucks or this issue sucks or whatever.

And there's a bug report section, by the way.

18. F1Racer

F1Racer Registered

Lazza, I don't think it's really up to you to decided what's needed. I did get screwed over by certain elements of rF2 that should have worked but failed to do so whether because things are broken or just not yet implemented. If I had just posted that the update didn't work for me it would have looked like a pretty random line that by itself was useless.
    I am well aware that there is a bug report section so please cut the sarcasm. Had I wanted to report a bug, that is where I would have gone.

Although I never said rF2 sucks, of course the issue sucks. You have a fully working rF2 one minute, then the next time you fire it up it's not working and when you try to fix it with what seem like common sense solutions, you get a screwed up rF2 that doesn't even list mods any more. Things happened with rF2 that in my opinion should not be happening. I vented because I was annoyed with it. Case closed.

When I get to that time where I think I can once again try to put up with the other issues that rF2 has (i.e. it's core physics and track options) maybe I`ll re-install it again. That might be tomorrow or next month. But whenever it is, it shouldn't matter to anyone except me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
  19. clevytr6

clevytr6 Registered

Don't be offended. You're not a drama queen until you put it on Facebook and Twitter too. "My racing game screwed me!" LOL
    Seriously, with all games, especially betas, learn to reinstall and backup your files.
    Update didn't work for me. Reinstalled and moved files over to the new install.

20. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

sounds to me like you go in and mess with files that shouldn't be messed with and messed stuff up. Don't blame anyone but yourself for a "screwed up rF2". Do your complete delete and reinstall. Simple. Your coming in here all day and not taking advice of those who are trying to help, is uncalled for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.