Tyre Smoke

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R1CHO, Jun 19, 2013.

1. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Hi guys Is there any lines in the PLR file that can tone down the density of tyre smoke We are starting a series and all i can think off is the carnage that will happen in turn 1 due too the smoke screen .. I dont have any trouble with it But other guys do .

Any tips would be great cheers
    R1CHO;)

2. JGraf

JGraf Registered

single player, settings, display, special effects.
    the density is adjustable by reducing the special effects, LOW isn't bad.
    it can also be turned OFF.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

To MP add line

BAN ROOKIES=1

:p >> jk jk :)

I think the best thing is to run x4 tyres make people come to understand they can't just go locking brakes every turn.

The first day we ran x4 Monza within about 3 races I barely saw smoke again from regulars.

Besides rewarding the consistent brakers.

You want full smoke so you can see what is happening in the distance.

4. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Lol....I think its more down to the fact that we cant adjust the pressure DD . I assure you no rookies at XR ;P

tried adjusting some lines in the plr and set the special affects to medium .... No change :(

5. JGraf

JGraf Registered

this test is nose against the wall, chase cam, roasting the tires for all it's worth...
    yep, clearly adjusting special effects makes no difference. :rolleyes:

6. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Ahhh ty I did in the end start thinking it could be different ....... should have gone low

Thx for the screenie showing the visual difference JGraf

7. Antaeus

Antaeus Registered

anybody have idea why ISI dont chane tiresmoke.tga texture in Code on less density? its too hard?

8. Radar

Radar Registered

I'd say it's still being worked on and they also have to find a happy medium..

9. Antaeus

Antaeus Registered

they done 7 updates after when we told about it, if they see that community want change, why they dont change it like i said, and let it still being worked.. but in better stadium than it is now!

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Is it now consistent what ever the graphical settings?

I.e someone with specisl effects set to high is the same smoke density as someone with it set to low? -for fairness online

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

look at the picture above

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Marcg

I see, bet ISI dev's will correct this in a future build so it's fair accross the board whilst online

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is not understandable that this problem remains unsolved. Has anybody from ISI tried to play under these conditions?

View attachment 8551

This problem leaves no other chance but to deactivate special effects with Clios, 370Z, Megane... if you want to drive normally.
    For sure it is a solution but it is quite frustrating. I guess some people need to watch more real races to realize how much smoke appears when wheels are blocked. Going into the grvel is different

14. Blue fellow

Blue fellow Registered

The most frustrating thing for me is that the smoke seems to start out as a giant cumulonimbus cloud. It's so huge you can barely tell which wheel it is coming from.

I think it should start out much smaller but spread to the current size, but as the smoke spreads it should decrease in transparency.

15. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

yeah still remains speciel effects on low makes it a bit easier but i think it is still to dense i hate low settings :(

Its probly not so much the dendity but like others have said the cloud can cover a extremely large area blocking out the track, grass runoff and the fencing around the track let alone the rest it travels

We had a race at Melbourne and you could see the cloud off smoke from someone that was up the other end of the lake along the back section

and im gonna find a screenie to show it ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2013
  16. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Things are getting better for most.
    It just takes time.
    The disappearing shadows seem to be fixed now.
    Hopefully, next up....the 'blocky' smoke closely followed by the 'cotton-ball' off-track kick-up.
    What's nice, is that it no longer strobes inside the cockpit.
    It's still a bit freaky to look at the windshield edge outline as they turn black going through smoke in replays.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2013
  17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

The tyre smoke is fine as it is...

Locking the wheels at high speed should generate lots of thick smoke... ever done a burnout in gear higher than 1st?

And it is entirely possible to drive thru the smoke as well... you obviously need to know the track a bit and have the turns figured out, otherwise it might prove an inconvenience, but it should be.

I have made a video two days ago, a race at mid ohio with a grid of 18, starting at last position... and there sure was a lot of tyre smoke...

Althought, if I had raced with people with about the same skills as I do, there would have been little to none tyre smoke... just watch my wheels, you won't see much smoke coming out of them...

The AI will likely get refined over time, and it is already much better than in 198... so it is likely they will end up locking the brakes less, making it easier to race...

Practice goes a long way!

EDIT: One thing that is weird tho, is the trail of smoke the AI leaves in certain corners... it's like they are drifting all the way around, but they aren't.. I'm following right behind them, going same speed, and yet, I leave no smoke... that might be something worth to look at.... the smoke from locking the wheels is fine

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013
  18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Ok it is your thought. Can you forward some youtube link where i can see such smoke from locking the wheels?

Of course i am talking about a real race.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

19. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I can't give you a link (as that's from a full 2h FIA GT coverage) but I remember, a S7R trying to pass 997 GT3 (can't remember, if he was fighting for position or just passing under the blue flag). Wanted to outbrake the Porsch and was a bit too hard on the brakes... it was an INSTANT, huge cloud of smoke coming from both front wheels on the Saleen.
    I think, the ammount generated at wheel in rF 2 is OK but how it then spreads, is what ISI should work on.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No...it's not! I've seen these clios race in real life many times and I have never seen the vast amounts of smoke that are produced in RF2. It's common knowledge the smoke effects are too overpowered as they currently are and has been since the very first build, not just for the Clios but all cars in general.
    Yes you do get occasional clouds of smoke from severe lock ups in real racing, but not to the extent we see in game with light lock ups, with Wind no working in game I'd like to see that introduced and have an effect on the smoke too at somepoint.