Disappointing graphics - what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Nemesis44uk, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Nemesis44uk

Nemesis44uk Registered

Hi all,

So, I finally took the plunge yesterday and purchased RF2. I have to say that I gave one of the Clios a run around and it felt great. Such a step above F1 2012 and it's ilk, reminds me of Nascar Racing 2003 in the way that it "feels" like it should, that the car is connected to the track in a real and physical way.

However, I am not happy with the graphics at all. I have been mulling over buying this game for months now, not sure whether to fork out for a "beta" version. Having looked at a ton of videos and screenshots, I can say that the game really doesn't look like those at all.

Graphics are not everything, I know, but I honestly don't understand how people are getting their versions to look so good.

Particle effects are blurry, my gear change display looks twice as fat as screenshots and nothing appears "sharp."

HDR doesn't work for me - just turns the skybox white. The menu screens are really bad - the cars in the car selection menu are atrociously low res and look worse than Nascar 2003 which was made in 2002.

I have textures and everything turned up to max/full and I have checked my config.ini file and it confirms that textures are up to 3. Still I can't achieve the level of detail or the pinsharp resolutions I have seen elsewhere.

FXAA and 16 x Anisotropic filtering are on in the application.

Please don't misunderstand me, my 20 minutes pootling around in the Clio brought a big smile to my face not seen since the Crammond days, but I just don't know why I can't make it look as good as everyone else seems to.

2. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

what resolution are you running? from what im reading i get the impression that you didnt change the resolution to a high one before you started the game

3. Nemesis44uk

Nemesis44uk Registered

Hi Hermmie,

Thanks for the quick response.

I am running at 1680 x 1050, but I must admit, the menu screens do look like 800 x 600

4. Some1

Some1 Registered

Perhaps it would be wise to post a screenshot, to show us exactly what you see? :)

5. Nemesis44uk

Nemesis44uk Registered

I will do when I get home tonight, but working at the moment. :(

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I would not worry about menus and spinners at this time.

What video card, I run AA in Nvidia Inspector.

Also what car, there are different levels of quality yet

These pin-sharp pics are they full screen or compressed.

7. Nemesis44uk

Nemesis44uk Registered

I am looking some of the pics in the "screenshots" thread. Some of the detail on the cars is amazing. I appreciate that some of the shots are doctored, but the general tone is far superior to what I am seeing.

One of the things that bother me, is when I go off-track (which is often), instead of getting grass flying up, it seems more like green-coloured golf balls. It just seems to be ill-defined, as does the readout on the steering wheel.

I have an Nvidia 660 - running AA in Nvidia control panel is my next step. In my config.ini file, I notice it says in "Shader=0" - is that correct?

Also - noob question but how do I take a screenshot in RF2?

8. corsa

corsa Registered

It really sounds like rF2 is not running in the native resolution of your display.

Once you are in rF2, I would double-check the rF2 display settings to make sure it is at the correct resolution.

9. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

F12. they are saved to userdata screenshots folder

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

11. Nemesis44uk

Nemesis44uk Registered

Thanks all of you for your help. I seem to have solved it - I'm not sure what I did to fix it, but whilst setting up a custom profile in Nvidia CP, I found an executable config, which was set to 800 x 600 (even though I changed it in game).

I changed that to 1680 x 1050
    Turned off FXAA
    Forced AA to level 3 in Nvidia CP
    Turned Aniso filtering to 16

Now it looks.....wow, almost as good as it plays:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy153/Nemesis44UK/GRAB_000.jpg