HDR Modification / Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeosPantera, Jun 16, 2013.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

A Placeholder post for all modified HDR profiles and discussion on the modification system, its flaws and what "we" would like to see changed. HDR makes or breaks this game. It is important to get it right.

Just took a damn day to get my HDR/Post FX profile box even up in the dev mode. Turned out I needed to go here (\rFactor2Data\ModDev\UserData) and enable the UsePostFX=1, UseHDRProcess=1.

Well the result was the ability to tweak some of the HDR but not the bloom. As you can see it goes a bit funky at night. Are there suppose to be different profiles loaded at different times? A Day profile, Night and dusk/dawn?

HDR VALUE DESCRIPTIONS (To Be Updated)

SkyType=Bright // Not Used ATM*

StartET=82962.5000// time of the day in seconds. 1 Hour=3600Sec. // 82800/3600=23. This means this Element starts at 23:00 and will be mixed/swtiched into the next one present in the profile. Usually we've one Element for each hour of the day, this is why there're 24 Elements in a single profile.

AdaptET=1.0000// this setting defines how fast the tone mapper will adapt to changes in brightness. Values below a couple of ms will cause the scene to flash annoyingly. This is similar to the time the human eye requires to adjust to sudden changes in luminance.

Luminance=0.0000 // Not Used ATM*

WhitePoint=0.8000 // Minimum luminance value which gets mapped to 1.0. Raise this number to decrease the blown-out whiteness of the scene. Too high a value will take all of the edge out of the scene.

BlackPoint
    =0.0000 // Black level wich gets mapped. Raise this number to increase the blackness of the scene. I suggest to leave it default as it could create clipping.

MiddleGray=1.0300 // Is a constant in the modified Reinhart tone mapping equation, usually hard-wired to 1.03, but having it as an adjustable variable can prove to be useful.

PostGamma=1.5000 // the tone mapping process must be done in linear colour space (which rFactor 2 is not using). This means the HDR scene must first be linearized (gamma corrected to 2.2). After tone mapping, it is transformed back to gamma space (inverse gamma correct). Post gamma controls this value. It should be 2.2, but you can adjust it to make the scene more washed out or more vibrant, or to correct for other extreme settings.

AirMassMult=1.0000 // Simulate the Air Mass filtering the sunlight. It affect the entire scene for both Ambient and Direct light.

ShadowDiffusion=-0.2000 // Not Used ATM*

LocalCloudIntensity
    =0.2500 // Not Used ATM*

SunTransLum=3.0000 // T Lum is transmitted (direct) sun luminance. This affects everything including clouds, but not the sky. You usually want to decrease it near dawn/dusk to take the big white areas out of the sky.

SunScatrLum
    =2.0000 // S Lum is scattered luminance, which is light that bounces off the terrain and illuminates primarily the sky. You usually want to increase it slightly as you get towards dawn/dusk.

MoonTransLum=3.1500 // Not Used ATM*

MoonScatrLum=1.6500 // Not Used ATM*

UseBloom=1 // Bloom activation. 0=off, 1=ON

BloomWhitePoint
    =2.0000 // Not Used ATM*

BloomThreshold
    =1.0200 // It defines the limits for the Bloom effect application. Pixels will be affected by the bloom in function of the threshold algorithm..

BloomOffset=0.4500 // Bloom Intensity applied in function of the threshold algorithm.

* Not sure if they're working but they're locked, or they're standard features available to the Light Physical Simulator but turned off.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  2. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

I'm interested in the subject. Although currently I can not contribute anything because I have no idea :eek:

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Here are some tips for the hdr values.

Adapt Time: time for the autoexposure to kick in. Simulates the iris in the human eye. (0.2 - 2.0)
    White Point: 1.00 - 6.00. Values below 3.00 cause trouble with Clouds and smoke.
    Black Point: don't touch this. 0.00 is ok
    Auto Exposure: 1.00 at daytime, during night 1.03 -1.06
    Post Gamma: 1.6 - 2.4
    Sky T Lum: 2.00 - 5.00. Direct Sunlight. Value depends on the textures. Atm I use something around 2.5 with a gamma at 2.00 -2.20. Lower the value if the textures have to much saturation. Most converted tracks have that problem.
    Sky S Lum: 1.00 - 2.00. Scattered sunlight. Lower value gives you darker shadows but maybe the general lightning becomes to dark in overcast situations (No direct Sunlight). It also affects the brightness of the sky.
    Air Mass: 0.65 - 1.2
    Bloom White: does nothing for me
    Bloom Threshold: 3.50 - 4.50. At 0.00 everything will bloom. Check the sky around the sun to get this right.
    Bloom Offset: 0.05 - 0.20. The expansion of the bloom effect from the source (sun, reflection)

The other values do nothing atm.

Interesting values in the Weather settings:

Time/Location/Fog -Turbidity: Brightness of the sky
    Fog Mode: try linear and change the distance values
    Light polution: Gives a brighter sky at night

Shadow Settings - Diffusion: darkness of shadows

Manual Wet&Damp: Creates wet road conditions.

It is not possible to have clouds in dev mode

Here is an example:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/12349-Beta-impressions?p=174306&viewfull=1#post174306

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
  4. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

good idea starting a thread... thanks tosch .. you have been most helpful :)

5. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

You're missing a key concept here - a profile is made up of 'elements' with each element being the settings applied at a specific time. When you hit 'New Profile" you get a profile with 24 elements, each having some default settings at each hour. You can add or subtract as many elements as you want. As time marches forward, the settings are interpolated between the two elements nearest the current time. Of course a single element would not work throughout the entire day/night cycle. Tosch's explanation of the params is good and mostly correct. I would just add that you can crank both T Lum and S Lum to some pretty high values (along with bloom params) as long as you move them somewhat together. The tone mapper will re-balance the final scene.

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Those are awfully restricted ranges. I wonder why they allow you to modify them so greatly if they are going to mess up like that. If only I could get SweetFX loaded up in conjunction the Luma-Sharpen and Lift-Gamma-Gain settings would fix 90% of what I think looks wrong.

I think that hack job I did in the video is some of the best lighting I have seen in any game let alone rFactor2. The sun looks like it is actually OUT at high noon. Something iRacing gets right but I haven't been able to achieve until now.

Back to the grind I suppose.

EDIT: Excellent news Joe!! Now I can get as obsessive as I like! Any word why my bloom settings don't work?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  7. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Why, auto exposure mimic the eyes on the monitor?
    Colour as sunglasses.

8. JohnB

JohnB Registered

9. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

10. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

New Limerock v1.43 "dramatic clear" HDR is a bit shiny where it shouldn't be for whatever reason

GRAB_003.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2013
  11. Tosch

Tosch Registered

That's why it is called dramatic. :)

Bloom treshold is to low (3.5)
    Bloom offset is way to high (1.5)

12. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Are yer listening ISI??? :D

By the way tosch, do you have a list of your HDR profiles available in case I've missed any of them?

13. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Most of the HDR profiles lately have been really poor from ISI. really dark shadows but with that sheen seen above. And the anti-aliasing these profiles cause is shocking. Don't know what's going on at ISI and who's making them, but they are terrible, i play without a profile when i do.

14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I agree Duvel, I played with HDR when first purchased (a long time ago)-- turned it off and never have looked back.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Think the ISI HDR profiles are about the best

When modders get to grips with HDR settings & ISI fine tune even more than that's when we'll be seeing rf2 at its best

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I have 107 profiles on my disk but most of them don't work like they should because of changes in the builds. I'm working on a Poznan profile atm. It is the most feature complete track. The textures are very good adjusted in terms of saturation and brightness. The track has working spec maps, a feature I miss on all ISI tracks (One reason why the tracks look somewhat cartoonish under full sunlight). The more I work with this track the more I like it. Well done feels3

Here is my current profile for Poznan.
    View attachment PoznanBuild228V3.zip

You should try it again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. tjc

tjc Registered

18. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

19. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Thanks for the Poznan HDR profile, Tosch.

20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Can someone give me a quick rundown how to load a different track into the developer side and then save my modified HDR and then get it to work in single/multi-player.

It is not very intuitive. I know someone said we needed to open a track file but I can't figure out how or with what.