Motec i2 channels - Damper Position & Velocity

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Coanda, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Coanda

Coanda Registered

G'Day,

These two channels (Damper Position & Velocity) would be very useful so that proper bump & rebound analysis can be achieved in Motec i2.

If any racer can formulate either of these channels with what rF2 currently logs could you please share the maths formula as I am yet to find this online. Many users have uploaded there GTR2 project templates however this is not possible to use for i2 standard users.

btw I am a first time poster & absolutely loving rF2. Hats off! Mainly kicking around Mid Ohio in a F2 at 1.11s. I hope to get this down to 1.10s.

Cheers,

mm

2. MJP

MJP Registered

You probably have them logged already (check the 'Channels' sidebar) it's just the project you're using either doesn't list them or has them spelt differently. This can happen when you use other peoples projects which you don't know if they used the same plug-in, motec version or even the same game!

Have you tried creating your own project at least you'll know it'll work with your plug-in and motec version you're using? Start motec, create a new project, choose 'circuit' profile from the project wizard as that seems to have a reasonable set of defaults (it certainly has the 2 items you mention in the suspension section).

3. Coanda

Coanda Registered

I havn't used anyone's project as I am only using the standard version so that option is blocked out. I create a circuit project and open my log file. According to my motec version (1.20.0009) these two channels are not logged. The only channels close to this are Suspension Position however I believe this is not the same. I have altered my motec.ini to include extra logging channels which it has however still no sign of these channels? Others have suggested its a custom internal maths formula?

Any further help would be great.

4. spizone

spizone Registered

@mingmong - I also have this version (1.20.0009), please tell me how u got it work with rF2.

5. Coanda

Coanda Registered

@ spizone - I haven't yet matey, hence this post... I have hunted around for days across various forums and I am getting mixed messages. Some say rf2 doesn't log this unlike GTR2, some say it does & same some say it can be derived with an internal custom maths formula.

Dunno...

6. MJP

MJP Registered

Ahh I'm using an old pro version 1.05.0013, been using it for years in rF1 and now rF2.

Damper velocities are part of the internal maths and I was under the impression suspension position and damper position were the same thing. You just have to take the motion ratio into account which of course varies depending the car as they're not all set to 1.

TBH this is getting a little beyond my knowledge of Motec, perhaps someone else who knows more can chip in here.

7. spizone

spizone Registered

@minmong - sorry man, thought u had it working....

All im looking for now is some kind of app that can log my tire temps (Inner,Middile,Outer) throughout my lap, is there anyway i can achieve this in rF2 ?

8. Coanda

Coanda Registered

@spizone - Your version Motec i2 does this. Should be under your channels once you log a lap ;)

@MJP - ha ha I might have to go pro soon. If you go to Tools/Maths does it give you a formula? To my knowledge they aren't the same but I am no expert; and Damper Pos/Vel with give a whole bunch of negative vales which would indicate the rebound values. Suspension Position I think is more related to the strut/coil etc...

9. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I2 pro (1.20.0008) has damper velocities (internal maths) and suspension position (logged)

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, rF only has suspension position, so Motec (i2Pro, at least) takes that and generates a velocity from it. So technically it's probably not quite right, even if Motec tries to regenerate it instead of just taking the current difference (I suspect it just takes the difference though... I haven't checked)

Damper values would depend on the motion ratio as mentioned above I believe, which may not always be available. So I think it's a fair wish list addition, along with velocities since the actual values would probably be better than calculated ones. All over my head to be honest :)

11. Coanda

Coanda Registered

@ kaptainkremmen - Cheers, does it show the formula under Tools/Maths?

@ Lazza - Thought I might see you here as your name popped up here & there in my research. That makes sense mate & it's over my head as well ;) I also wonder why rF2 does not log camber values? I can see them in my channel list however they are always 0 value.

12. MJP

MJP Registered

FWIW this is what it says in Pro (internal maths)...

Damper Vel = derivative(Position x Motion Ratio, Filter Time)

As for the camber logging do you really need to know the actual camber, surely as long as the inner/outer temps are different then you have camber!

13. Coanda

Coanda Registered

cheers MJP I appreciate it pal! I tried to apply this to my i2 standard version however I receive an unknown function error. It was worth a shot ;)

Fair point on the camber mate. I've always struggled getting enough temp to the outside of my tyres. I also read that the tyre temps logging is different in in rF2 compared to rf1. Surface vs Carcass. In rF2 for the F2 I have had to place a a fair bit of front camber (more than I would like) and have set the tyre pressures to the minimum however the centre temps are still very close to the Inner temp and the outside temps are too cold particularly on the rears. On average they sit around the 60 deg mark (20 lap run - Mid Ohio @ fair pace) and only come into the sweet 90 deg spot when hammering into long corners. I'll post this this up in the set-up forum and see what comes of it ;)

14. olandese volante

olandese volante Registered

As I can't log my damper velocities too, can someone clarify me this equation? I don't know where to find the "motion ratio" value, and how to write the "filter time" in the equation.

15. olandese volante

olandese volante Registered

the strange thing is that I can see the damper velocity channels, but they seem to be N/A, like the oversteer channel...

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

i2Pro uses (by default) 1.0 for the motion ratio and 0.08 for the filter time. And when using automatic channel selection it uses the "Susp Pos" channels for calculating the derivative.

So if you have logged "Susp Pos" values, you can (should?) be able to set up your own velocity values using (LF for this example):

derivative('Susp Pos FL' [mm] * 1.0, 0.08)

Obviously with a motion ratio of 1.0 there's not really a need to put it in there. I only use i2Pro so I don't know what standard is capable of, ie whether it can do this calc.

As for the in-built Oversteer calculation, if you view the calculation for it you can see what information it needs. In i2Pro it shows what info is missing in red, which for a standard rF2 log (using my plugin) is 'Steered Angle' because that's not available from the plugin interface. What I'd personally do is set a Constant for my max steering lock in my setup, multiply that by the current steering percentage, and call it Steered Angle. Then the oversteer calc will produce a value. Overall it needs 'Corr Speed', 'G Force Lat', 'Vehicle Wheelbase', and 'Steered Angle'.

From memory I don't think rF/2 provides a wheelbase figure, but my plugin just throws one in there anyway. In rF1 it'll sometimes pick up the wheelbased defined in the HDV.

Back to the OP, you can't recreate data that's missing, so while a derivative of the suspension position is better than nothing it would be preferable for rF2 to provide a damper velocity as part of the plugin interface.

DA likes this.