Hi guys, New here. Rf2 wont open. please help

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by JCarter, Jun 8, 2013.

1. JCarter

JCarter Registered

Just purchased Rf2 and downloaded/installed everything. I logged in and went to the sim tab. I clicked on the single player and it pops up like its about to open, then it just dissapears. I've tried to download both the lite and full versions, uninstalled and reinstalled again and still the same thing. I've now uninstalled everything so I can start from sqaure one and hopefully you guys can walk me through this. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

2. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Assuming your OS is Win7, Vista or Win8, did you install the DirectX?

You can install the required DX9 components, in case you skipped their install via game installer, launching DXSETUP.exe, located in rFactor2/Support/DirectX.

3. JCarter

JCarter Registered

Yes, I am running windows 7 and yes I have installed Direct X.

4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Can we assume you have Activated, used the configure sim button and tried some different settings, Used mod manager to see if you have cars and tracks installed and that it is being directed to your packages folder etc ? I'm not sure how much you've tried already.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
  5. JCarter

JCarter Registered

I have tried different setting in configure sim but to no avail. I have also used mod manager and the cars and tracks look to have been installed. I just check the packages folder and there's nothing in there??? What would the next step be?

6. kaptainkremmen

If you are using the Lite install you will need to download some tracks and cars and put them in the packages folder. or try browsing to the packages folder from mod manager if you already have some in there and you just can't see them from the manager

7. JCarter

JCarter Registered

I installed the full version. Cars are Tracks are showing as being installed.

8. kaptainkremmen

You can set rfactor to run a trace and save it to a log file but i'm not sure at what point the trace kicks in.

If you want to try it you can go to the advanced tab and type trace=5 into the box for single player CLI , save parameters.

Try launching the game and after it fails look up the log in your userdata folder

9. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

You INDICATED
    "Install Dir"
    "Working Dir"
    "Packages Dir"
    In principle to the "PACKAGES" folder is enough to settle the problems.
    Can they be misinformed if your PACKAGES folder is empty.
    I had this trouble on this build but as'm starting to fend rFactor2 I got one :)

10. kaptainkremmen

Bottom right of the Mod Manager screen is the path to the Packages directory. Even if it looks right, click the B and rebrowse to the packages folder in your rf install directory.

You could check the path file in the core directory and see if that is right.

tbh it shouldn't be this hard and i am probably missing something very simple but I have had problems when reinstalling with directories being assigned wrongly even though they looked right.. I suppose my final recommendation would be to uninstall again, delete all remaining folders and restart windows before reinstalling.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
  11. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Not easy to spot the issue, but you can try few things trying to track what is causing it.

Graphics:

try executing DXSETUP.exe again ... you never know its installation went corrupted.

Sound:

try going in the advanced tab of the launcher, and type in the Single Player CLi

+nosound

then save parameters.

This command line removes any sound and, if rF2 starts, you have an evidence that the issue is in the sound card (drivers or whatever)
    Remember to remove the command line if rF2 still doesnt start. :)

Peripheric:

try unpligging your peripheric before to launch rF2.

Also, for testing purpose, install the full "Content" build following the default paths.

Hope this helps, but need a bit of good luck in order to spot what, presumptively, is a local issue.

12. hdj

hdj Registered

Try seeing if another Rf2 icon appears next to the rf2 launch icon in the bar at the bottom of the desktop. When I launch the single player it always minimizes to this and I have to click on the 2nd icon to enter the game. It's a real pain every time.