rF2 user friendly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miro, Jun 6, 2013.

1. GothaR

GothaR Registered

Yes, I played SimBin sims a lot (all from GTR 2 to GTR Evolution) and their system is very good. You just copy cars or tracks in two specific folders and the content appears in the menu next time you start the game. Some mods are messy, but it is not SimBin's fault, most of the mods work perfectly.
    One package for all ISI content doesn't mean it has to be one download. It can be divided in 1 GB parts, it can be done as downloader (as we now have for patches) or it can be released as a torrent.
    Indeed, very wise words :) This really reminds me discussions with Linux guys few years ago, the core is great, but it's potential is wasted because it is not user friendly.

2. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Well, the current UI isn't difficult to use once you know what you're doing! :p....and that's the point - many things about the UI are not obvious unless you hang around these forums looking for answers.

For example, I know of a few people who didn't know about the 'all cars and tracks' tickbox, meaning they were missing out on content. With most racing games, there is no need to do such a thing, so this is an alien concept right off the bat.

To be honest, BSNismo hit the nail on the head in his last post. Simulation and modern, user-friendly UI can go hand-in-hand. The Reiza comparison is a good one. Look at the menus for GSC and FT - simple options like 'single race, test run, championship, multiplayer, options'. Very straight-forward.

The criticism of the UI isn't purely about ease of use either. Just look at it - like taking a trip back to 2001 or something. It's drab, uninspiring, uninteresting. This game should be looking to pick up a wider audience of racing gamers, not just the snobby, hardcore elitists. Your average Gran Turismo/Forza player who is looking to dip his toe into the world of PC sim racing may look at the UI and think 'what the hell is this?'

3. 10speed

10speed Registered

Exactly, you nailed it 100%. Usability is good except for sometimes buttons with different purpose are placed at the same location. Talked to other simracers about this and they all had left an online session once or more often unintentionally because of that. What makes the rfactor(2) UI good is that you don't have to navigate through cascading menus like in race07 (try to alter the force feedback settings ...). However, rFactor2 looks dull and uninspired in most aspects. Like they do have lots of guys on the team who are experts in game/simulation design but no artists.

4. tjc

tjc Registered

I completely agree with your post Mrslfrsl.

As I`ve said the UI definitely needs work and yes, also as I`ve said, I did get help with my first time use of rf2 but not before I`d tried things out and managed to get on track with relative ease by myself. In fact, iirc, buddhatree didn`t say much about the use of the UI, his help was more getting started with the Packages and what they did etc etc. He helped me "get started" with the sim itself and not really with the use and functionality of the UI...

I suppose where I`m coming from regarding the feelings of some people on the UI is like I feel about a lot of things in rf2 atm...

Yes, they need worked on, some a great deal and others maybe not so much but everything will get the work needed with time.

By all means, we are all entitled to our opinions on things and we are also entitled to voice those opinions and say what we`d like rf2 to give us but I just think ISI already know of most of these things and they will be attended to... given time.

I go back to my first post in this thread... I don`t really know why it`s thought or felt that ISI won`t deliver a nice, neat and functional UI for rf2... people seem to think they won`t (or fear that they won`t) and I just don`t really know why people feel that... I`m prepared to give them the time to do that, if they don`t, I`m sure some talented modder out there such as yourself maybe, will do.

5. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Hmm... Can this "Tim Speak" be interpreted to mean ISI is definitely planning to rework the UI at some time? Maybe... or maybe not... because if that's true then couldn't he have just said "we hear you and plan to do a rework after higher priority things get done."

So even after a "staff posting" we really don't know for sure. Which is a shame because a definitive statement could have brought this debate/thread to a conclusion.

Side comment: With all the developmental "things" waiting on "other things", as a "mature" gamer I wonder sometimes if I'll live to see rf2 reach it's peak, or still have the reflexes to be able to drive it! :p

6. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I built a new gaming rig just over a year ago in anticiaption for rF2 and AC. The way things are going I'll have to upgrade half of it by the times these sims go 'gold'.

7. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

Could you provide a link to a thread where this has happened... Seriously cuz I am losing hope.
    All I have seen is Tim posting replies to the best of his ability considering he likely cannot say too much but clearly feels obligated either as an Employee or as a person to do so... Once his post comes it starts a tornado of negativity...
    1-Well thats not soon enough
    2-Well I wish you would worry about my car first
    3-Why licence that car?
    4-So that means we get the game in 2020?
    5-So you dont care about this issue... bad ISI
    I mean the list goes on and on... In many ways its a miracle we get any updates at all considering how the community has chosen to respond to them... most posts from ISI seem to be met with the furious stamping of little feet and the pitchforks and placards being waved... and I mean even the good ones where we get more cars...

Me personally, I'm hoping for the automated diaper change in the next update...
    Maybe I'm old and I remember the days where every human didn't feel the need the throw in their two cents because they have the "right". My Dad always used to tell me that just because you can do something does not mean you should...
    I likely shouldnt have posted this lol

8. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

this was inappropriate at best... EDIT

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

:D

10. Lecram

Lecram Registered

Edited if that's ok :)

11. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

You know I need that ;)

12. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

LOLOLOLOL

Quite fine... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Oh my...I bet these young guys here need it most...

14. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

You don't need a link, my post with the contained quote stands on it's own.

Damn, judging by the edit and comments I missed something juicy!

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

...wow

*Leave the UI as it is for the meantime* "Bloody hell ISI/Tim, you guys are back in the caveman days, look at the interface and colour choice, people are going to leave the game coz of this! Your company has no idea how to do this"

*Fix the UI in the next build* "Oh my goodness ISI, why work on the UI when they tyre model is not finished in the game, thats the important thing! It's a driving sim, not a menu sim!"

*Fix all graphics problems, physics issues, new menus, make everything nice and dandy in the next build and then we can all hold hands and skip round the garden together* ...not going to happen

Someone said it above regarding UI design, that not everyone likes the same thing. Pretty bloody obvious that it's the same for any situation.
    Thinking back to what threads I've seen in the last couple of weeks. It's either;

Complaining about the graphics and how ISI don't know what they are doing, and how terrible they are for 2013 standards, with DX9 and all that.

Complaining about the physics and how broken they seem to be in terms of grip and car dynamics, that ISI have no idea about what they are doing

Complaining about user interface/usability issues, how it sucks, how clunky and unintuitive it is, and how ISI have no idea how to design a game well.

I'm no kiss ass fan of ISI, there are many things that I hate in rF2. But I have kind of realised that posting here and demanding Tim (of all people) to follow my way of thinking on a certain subject does not work. To sit there and think that ISI are just "winging it" as they go is at a level I just can't understand...

*waits for the comment "So then what are these forums for!!??"*

16. coops

coops Banned

whine whine whine my contribution.