rF2 user friendly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miro, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Miro

Miro Registered

I noticed here on the forum as on other forums too there are a lot of threads where people complain about rF2 and some things with in the game which wouldn�t be neccesery.
    The point is rF2 is absolutly not end user friendly.

All this topics about no grip or wheel settings or several other options in the game would just disapear if rF2 had a better UI IMO.
    First of all what rF2 needs is a set up manager. When insatlling the game for the first time there should be a walk through on several options like wheel settings, GFX settings and so on.

More or less a introduction to your first race/practice session. This would solve the most problems about hardware settings and hopefully FPS with or without tripple screens and much more.

Also there are simply no standards on ISI tracks, IMO every track should be pre set with a light rubber on track. So people don�t need to get frustrated with grip amounts on a green track. As a new user you don�t even think about that. Every new user needs at least one hour to get the right settings and even then he needs to read the forums and check things which he can do or what he can do.

It is all together simply to complicated. When you start the software you have tob e able to be with in minutes in the first race with all settings spot on. I am sure this would immidiately lead to 90% less complaints.

When a new user wants to host a online game there is a lot of stuff to fidle with and even watch a video to know how to create a vMod. Start some extra software to achieve that and fidle with such stuff. All this is just a PITA for new users. I know it�s not that hard but it is just not user friendly.
    Choose car, choose track, set all the options for the race as in single player and host! That�s all, everything else is redundant. I gave up on this long time ago even if I know how to do it.

There is obviously a lot more wrong with the rF2 UI and I wont count all the things here which could be better but as I said it would imidiately lead to a better first impression of rF2 for every new user.

Tim mentioned there is something going on with the UI but please, think about every option twice.
    Where to place it and how to place it as also which way is a user going through the UI till he can race.
    Please test that also with people which are totally new to rF2 not only testers which already know which option does what.

And also the last thing, it does not have to look like a modern insurance/mercedes benz/super uber designer web site but it should at least look like something fresh and new.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

my replies in bold:

3. Miro

Miro Registered

It is not a pick up and play title but that's not the point.
    The product itself can be the best on the world but if you don't sell it as such you won't have users.
    When creating a UI or a web site you have the power to lead the user through the points you want him to go.
    I have done that myself and I know how important that is.
    Its like with modern shops. You go the way they want you to go.

If properly designed the UI would immediately lead to less complaints and refunds that I am sure.
    Most of the confusion would just disappear.

A banal example is food. You eat stuff which looks good but it's not necessary the best option.
    At first I thought just like you but thinking about it longer it gets more and more clear that it properly done would solve more problems than just to be nice.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

whinge whinge whinge

I get accused for months of being a troll what because I do not like RIPS and PAYWARE on the official site of a non payware sim.

BOO HOO lol :)

You people that are always positive are even worse, sound like a scratched record to the point of ad nauseam.

5. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I love your posts. They brighten my day ;)

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I agree pretty much everything with what OP said. Even the game is complex*, it does not mean that the usability needs to be.

*Well not really, basically you take a car and drive around circles occasionally turning left and right.

7. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Nice, but the OP is talking about the user "friendlyness" not about content, also i pay for rf2, so, is a payware sim, whinge.

About the topic i agree most with the OP, i think one issue of rf2 he have the legacy of rf1 in a lot of aspects (like the menus), also the complex of it is a common thing in PC sims/games because, thing i like about PC, you can edit almost every option of the game/sim.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  8. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

....wtf...?

Thread hijack meets irony meets obsessiveness meets mixed metaphors.

Everyone just back away slowly with a fixed smile on your face.

9. osella

osella Registered

Like this?

[​IMG]

On topic I agree with OP

10. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I think Assetto Corsa will show how a clean, modern UI should be done based on my experience with the tech preview. Hopefully ISI are capable of producing something similar, although I'm not holding my breath.

11. 10speed

10speed Registered

The best thing about Assetto Corsa's UI is that everybody familiar with modern web design can alter it easily. ISI's approach is as old as the hills compared to that

Not - going - to - happen.

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Simple question guys...

Why do you think ISI aren`t capable of doing a good UI?

That`s a bit of a lack of faith, no?

(Ok, that`s two questions... :p)

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

it's not that they are incapable, they just seem totally uninterested in making a better one. Agree that AC shows the way it should be done.

14. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

This ^

I get the impression ISI like the way they do things and perhaps aren't open to change as much as they should be.

The first impression of any game is the UI. It's what you see before you even hit the track. I know a few people that I've introduced to rF2 that have been stunned at how bad the UI looks and the general lack of user-friendliness, particulalry when trying to go online and the confusing vmod process.

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Tim has mentioned in the past that everything has it's time as far as development goes and I am fairly certain that the UI is not the top of the list of things to get completed. Will we see improvements? I have no idea, but why not let them finish what they are working on before we try and harass them into going after the UI?

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Because every answer we get is related to and consists of "constant development", for all we know the 5 year life span of RF2 could mean the UI gets updated by ISI 4years and 11months into the games life, the problem is we dont know the road plan for the Sim and ISI are intent on being quiet so we're left to ask and ask and ask again until a more concrete answer comes along....hopefully....eventually!

Seems to me like ISI dont know themselves and are just winging it along the way adding bits of tech as they go without any real purpose...of course they can prove me wrong by informing us of sooin to come additions but I know they wont!

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Because of course the UI should be reworked before everything else, right? :) I think you're mistaking priorities for lack of interest.

18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I'd really appreciate if you try not to go on about the same topic over and over again.
    It's up to ISI to decide what they allow on their site. If' they don't want to charge for threads with payware then it's their own business decision.

19. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Asseto Corsa?
    I dislike this interface
    But it is just a matter of taste
    It reminds me of arcade and nothing else.
    just see

ISI not change anything :)

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

matter of opinion really, some say UI is a priority others dont, depends if you want to make "ease of use" better for first time users or not. As this thread suggests some people are having difficulty with it and a lot of "first impressions" threads (here and elsewhere) point to poor UI, but if you're willing to let that slip for a few years then so be it.